Reversed Ammeter in Steam C172

Thread: Reversed Ammeter in Steam C172

Reversed Ammeter in Steam C172

If you've paid attention to the systems in the "Classic" C172, you should have noticed that the ammeter reads backwards. When the alternator is running, it shows a discharge, but turn on the battery and fire up the avionics before starting, and it will show juice going into the battery. I speculated a while back that there was an errant minus sign in some piece of code, but had no idea where, and was sure that it was inaccessible due to the fact that it's an upgrade plane and very few edits are possible.

Well, I was half right. It is an errant minus sign, but it's in an editable shared xml file. Look in \Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base-aircraft-common\ModelBehaviorDefs\Asobo\Common\Subtemplates \Instrument_Subtemplates.xml and find the section shown below. I've compared my active file with my backup in NP++ so that you can see the edit. As always, make your backup file first before editing. It was a user whose name I can't remember over at the official forum that found this. I'd love to give credit, but I can't find the dang thread now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snap 2021-02-05 at 13.48.45.jpg  
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

But which one is correct? Right or left?
    Sue

The one on the left is the current xml file in use on my system. The one on the right is the original with the ".bak" file suffix added to designate it as a backup file. That's also why Notepad++ only colored the code on the left - it only color codes common coding languages based on both syntax and filetype extension.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Ugh...

For everyone that made this edit prior to 1.14.5.0, guess what? Asobo just undid your edit! This file has been replaced with the new update, and the ammeter is back to its backward ways. I did a compare with my backed up version and the new one, and there are several other changes. Why they didn’t incorporate this change is beyond me. Anyway, toss out your old backup and make a new one from the fresh Asobo version, then re-do this one edit and the gauge will once again behave as it should.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    For everyone that made this edit prior to 1.14.5.0, guess what? Asobo just undid your edit! This file has been replaced with the new update, and the ammeter is back to its backward ways. I did a compare with my backed up version and the new one, and there are several other changes. Why they didn’t incorporate this change is beyond me. Anyway, toss out your old backup and make a new one from the fresh Asobo version, then re-do this one edit and the gauge will once again behave as it should.
    Yea any changes made in the Official folder get reverted when there's an update so I tend to mostly leave it alone.
    I do go in after each update and reclaime the Cessna and Beechcraft planes back from Textron though
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Thanks for the fix, Tom. Tweaked it and made a backup of the tweak in case I need to revert it again.

Have you filed this as a bug to Asobo in Zendesk? I know there are some posts on it over in the official forum, but getting it logged in Zendesk is best for the kinds of bugs that aren't likely to get a ton of upvotes.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Have you filed this as a bug to Asobo in Zendesk? I know there are some posts on it over in the official forum, but getting it logged in Zendesk is best for the kinds of bugs that aren't likely to get a ton of upvotes.
    Bet on it. It was marked "solved" a while back, but I have no clue when they will actually address it. Apparently, the C152's ammeter also uses this snippet, since it's now backwards in my sim. Of course, I don't fly that one, so I really don't care. The real fix will apparently need to be made by modifying the model animation.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Bet on it. It was marked "solved" a while back, but I have no clue when they will actually address it. Apparently, the C152's ammeter also uses this snippet, since it's now backwards in my sim. Of course, I don't fly that one, so I really don't care. The real fix will apparently need to be made by modifying the model animation.
    "Solved" means only that they aren't tracking in the Zendesk software. It has no other meaning, and is extremely frustrating. It would be nice if they at least marked it as "Accepted" or "Rejected", rather than the meaningless "Solved"

Members who have read this thread: 0