Released! Spitfire Mk IXc for Microsoft Flight Simulator - Page 9
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Released! Spitfire Mk IXc for Microsoft Flight Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    All that said... the rudder authority does increase suddenly and sharply midway through the roll, and not in an organic way. I'll wonder if that's related to Marcel's findings about yaw speed. Still curious to see how that applies to the Waco as well.
    The sudden yaw issue is pretty much accepted as an issue with the sim, at this point. It certainly affects the FI Spitfire as well as the Waco, and most other planes which, like these, are basically port-overs from other sims.

Another issue since the last update, I believe, is that small aircraft taxi too fast at idle throttle and are very difficult to slow down after landing. I believe the surface friction was tweaked to appease the big tube flyers who protested that it took too much throttle to start and keep rolling in those birds. In fixing that, they screwed up the small planes. I find it necessary to ride the brakes in planes like the Spitfire, keeping them at about 25% at all times except for takeoff. I try to remember to set them before landing, so that I don't have to remember to do it after touchdown when my hands are full with trying not to scrape a wing tip. None of this is real-world standard procedure, of course, and none of it reflects a fault with any particular model, although some seem to cope with MSFS's quirks better than others.

August

Marcel, it is fantastic to see the repaint of TB885! I like that you keep the rivet detail subtle too, like the product paint schemes, which looks very realistic/lifelike, and the authentic propeller blade stencils/decals you've added to your repaints is also greatly appreciated. Speaking of stencils, one thing I don't like about the product paint schemes is for some reason they have the red stencils on top of the wings only added on the starboard wing, where as they should be present on both wings.

For those that may not know, Spitfire Mk.XVI TB885 is owned by Dutchman Fritz van Eerd, and is registered in the Netherlands as PH-FVE. I've heard that Fritz van Eerd also recently acquired Spitfire T.9 MJ772 (G-AVAV), which is operated with "Fly a Spitfire" at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar in the UK - https://flyaspitfire.com/the-story-of-mj772 - and of course he is also the owner of the Dunkirk-veteran Spitfire Mk.I P9372 (G-CLIH) that is advancing right along in its rebuild to fly at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar - https://allspitfirepilots.org/conten...es/IMG4693.JPG -. A lot of effort is going into making it the most authentic Mk.I restoration yet seen.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

The other evening I've started working on a repaint depicting the Hangar 11 Collection's restored Russian-veteran Spitfire Mk.IX PT879 (G-PTIX), though it may take me a little while until it is completed/released. It would be nice to eventually have an accurate repaint of every restored and flying Mk.IX and high-back Mk.XVI.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Hi John,

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Speaking of stencils, one thing I don't like about the product paint schemes is for some reason they have the red stencils on top of the wings only added on the starboard wing, where as they should be present on both wings.
    Plan is to do all the stencils, present on the bird. Was only wondering which way the text is written:
    "NOT TO BE"
    "WALKED ON"

Would to me be logical to point to the cockpit/innerwing? Could not make that out on real-life photo's.

Marcel

STENCIL TIME!

PS
    For the details does anyone have pictures of the PH-FVE/TB885 from late 2020 or even 2021?
    Did see on one picture the orange triangle has now a black edge, just want to confirm this.
    Last edited by mgr; March 27th, 2021 at 06:47.

Marcel, I haven't seen any photos showing it with a black edge around the orange triangle. The restored Spitfire RW382, which used to sport similar markings of the same squadron (coded 3W-P), did have a black outline around the orange triangle.

This is the most recent photo I've seen of PH-FVE/TB885, taken in August 2020: https://www.planespotters.net/photo/...arine-spitfire

Here is a photo from 2019 which shows the artwork on the port cowl to good effect: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124881...16916/sizes/o/

Hi John,

This picture did make me wonder if they changed it, however still in doubt of the spitfire in the picture is the TB885/PH-FVE:

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/ph...itfire-mk-xvi/

Oh, wait a second, conflicting data here, both 2018 and 2020 are mentioned. So gather it's from 2018 and the aircraft is NOT the TB885.

Marcel

Yeah, Marcel, that one in the photo you linked to is RW382 (G-PBIX) in its old scheme, and the photo dates from 2016. The photographer has identified it wrong. In 2016, TB885 of course wasn't restored/finished yet.

Speaking of RW382 however, that one, as of last fall, is now painted in American markings as "Porky II" of the 31st FG, 309th FS, which would be another brilliant repaint to see done:
    https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...49&oe=6083F4B7
    https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...a6&oe=6087059D
    https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9849109

Photos taken after nose art was added and 'PU' under the chin cowl:
    https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...1a&oe=6085A961
    https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...14&oe=60833EF6
    https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...39&oe=60848678

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Yeah, it's one of the unfortunate aspects (like the inverted carb cutout) where they seem to have confused some aspects of the Mk.1 Spitfire with that of the (very different) Mk.IX Spitfire. The -1 Nose Down elevator trim setting is accurate to a Mk.1 Spitfire, while a +1 Nose Up trim setting is accurate to a Mk.IX Spitfire. At least when setting the elevator trim to +1 Nose Up in the FlyingIron Spitfire Mk.IX, matching real-world, it works properly well. It's too bad that the majority of users will never look beyond the included product checklist, and as a result will never be properly setting-up the aircraft in the sim as you would in real life.
    Agree - bound to be frustrating (it was for me) to be trimmed out in such a way that it's nearly impossible to get off the ground. Hope they'll revise the manual at some point.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    The sudden yaw issue is pretty much accepted as an issue with the sim, at this point. It certainly affects the FI Spitfire as well as the Waco, and most other planes which, like these, are basically port-overs from other sims.

Another issue since the last update, I believe, is that small aircraft taxi too fast at idle throttle and are very difficult to slow down after landing. I believe the surface friction was tweaked to appease the big tube flyers who protested that it took too much throttle to start and keep rolling in those birds. In fixing that, they screwed up the small planes. I find it necessary to ride the brakes in planes like the Spitfire, keeping them at about 25% at all times except for takeoff. I try to remember to set them before landing, so that I don't have to remember to do it after touchdown when my hands are full with trying not to scrape a wing tip. None of this is real-world standard procedure, of course, and none of it reflects a fault with any particular model, although some seem to cope with MSFS's quirks better than others.

August
    Tried the Waco again last night and got the same lurch as soon as I lifted the tail. Works fine as long as you adopt a new set of sim-only procedures for it.

Had just noticed that about the braking - have been watching my aircraft ease slowly to a stop under full brake pressure, the kind that'd ordinarily stand the plane on its nose.

Really do hope they fix it at some point.

But in the meantime, as long as I'm able to fly the aircraft in their own special way, it's manageable

Happy to let the thread get back on track now.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Working away on this today. Still have work to do, but I thought I'd share. Thanks for your advice Jan Kees on the packing for MSFS, I think I figured it out. Now If I could just get the stripes to line up!

Spit Y2-K by Doug Smith, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    Working away on this today. Still have work to do, but I thought I'd share. Thanks for your advice Jan Kees on the packing for MSFS, I think I figured it out. Now If I could just get the stripes to line up!

Spit Y2-K by Doug Smith, on Flickr
    Doug, look at the left elevator, in the paintkit not everything is in the right position unfortunately...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

playing with metal....what do you think? too shiny? not enough? too light? too dark?

jk3366

jk3353

jk3355

jk3361

jk3365
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Hoi Jan Kees,

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    playing with metal....what do you think? too shiny? not enough? too light? too dark?
    Depends how shiny the original is Think the effect is not overdone, so looks good to me.

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Hoi Jan Kees,
    Depends how shiny the original is Think the effect is not overdone, so looks good to me.

Marcel

Very nice!

20210402232155_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

20210402232231_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

20210402232341_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

20210402232854_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

Finally managed to work out how to post properly on here...something I'm currently working on - Spitfire MD124.

Brad

very nice!

I did another PR spitfire:
    jk3523 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk3520 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk3518 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and an Italian based bare metal aircraft:
    jk3513 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Very very early WIP of my next project/repaint.

It's difficult to get the grey/silver-aluminium paint right.

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Very very early WIP of my next project/repaint.

It's difficult to get the grey/silver-aluminium paint right.

Marcel
    Somehow I knew you'd be doing this one...looking good so far!

Looking forward to flying your PR scheme JK. I hope we get a good quality PRXI in the future...meanwhile, just uploaded:

20210403154335_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

20210403154304_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

20210403154222_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

https://flightsim.to/file/11705/flyi...ire-mkix-lz842

Brad

Thank you Jan - Fabulous!

Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Members who have read this thread: 3