MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Thanks for the repaints Jankees!!

Priller
    you're welcome, I'm eagerly anticipating your screenshots..

and I uploaded one more, with noseart this time:
    jk2392
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

My first repaint inbound:

RAF 322 Sqn Dutch Squadron, W3-B MK265, flown by squadron leader C.L.M. van Eendenburg.

Based on this very sharp original photo:

Roundel/tailflash size, colour and location adjusted.

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    My first repaint inbound:

RAF 322 Sqn Dutch Squadron, W3-B MK265, flown by squadron leader C.L.M. van Eendenburg.

Based on this very sharp original photo:

Roundel/tailflash size, colour and location adjusted.

Marcel

Is it possible to paint over the default chromate yellow undercart legs and wheel wells?

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshack View Post
    Is it possible to paint over the default chromate yellow undercart legs and wheel wells?
    Yes, only it has to be done per livery.

Don't know is a general consensus over how the wheel/gear wells were painted (or not) around 1944 on the RAF's Mk IX?
    Seems always discussions about the correct colors, like the "red" and "blue" or the variant of the "sky" colours.

@Bomber_12th : any thoughts on this?

Marcel

As a HUGE fan of the RealAir Spitfire, I have been looking at this a lot... how does she fly? Does she capture the Spitfire magic, or fall short? She looks divine!

Ta- C

With regard to wheel wells and undercarriage doors - on the Spitfire Mk.IX, my understanding is that they should be silver. (Yellow) zinc chromate is about as wrong of a color to use on them as you can get. Even if someone were to just change it to the pale green British primer, it would look better and would at least match a few restorations.

It is great to see MK265 being given attention, Marcel!

Jankees, after the update released yesterday, I've noticed that the left horizontal stabilizer/elevator mapping appears to have changed slightly, resulting in some unpainted areas showing in the earlier/first set of repaints you released for the Spitfire. This however isn't the case with the repaints you have released today.

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    As a HUGE fan of the RealAir Spitfire, I have been looking at this a lot... how does she fly? Does she capture the Spitfire magic, or fall short? She looks divine!
    I think the flying qualities of the Spitfire Mk.IX have been captured very well by FlyingIron. It is a more true-to-life flight model than the RealAir Spitfire was in FS2004/FSX/P3D.

As in the case of the real thing, it doesn't take full power to get airborne. In all of the pilot reports I've read over the years, 8+ boost is most often cited for takeoff power, which despite being less than half the available power (+18 boost WEP), it is more than ample. Some modern-day Spitfire Mk.IX operators only use +6 boost for takeoff, and that is sufficient with the FlyingIron Spitfire Mk.IX as well. With fuel only in the bottom tank and +6 boost, 3000 RPM, from brake release it only takes just over 15 seconds to be passing through 90 mph and flying. The correct takeoff trim settings in the Spitfire Mk.IX are +1 elevator (nose up) and 75%-100% right rudder trim, and this is true of the FlyingIron Spitfire Mk.IX as well. On takeoff, especially now following the latest update, it requires some right rudder and right aileron to overcome the torque and p-factor (again, just like the real thing). The rudder is very effective, however, so it is easy to keep it straight with only a little foot pressure.

For climb I typically use +5 boost and 2600 RPM, and it will maintain a 2,000 fpm climb rate at those settings. For cruise I usually use +2 boost and 2300 or 2400 RPM, which gets me about 215 mph indicated. All of those settings are in the ballpark of what is used by Spitfire operators today. In the air, the aircraft is a lot of fun to toss about in the virtual sky. You can really pull and wrap it around and, just like the real thing, it doesn't require a lot of airspeed to do so. The elevators and rudder are very responsive and have a lot of authority. Aileron authority is good, but the roll rate, just like most real Spitfires, is not very fast when compared to some of the other fighters of WWII (such as the P-40). The 'feel' seems all very accurate to what I've read. The clipped-wing version rolls a bit faster than the full-span wings, while it feels like the full-span wings allow you to climb better than the clipped-wing version. Stall speeds appear to be the same no matter which version you're flying. The "virtual stick forces" are very light and responsive, which is how the real-world Spitfire stick forces are described.

When setting up to land, the Spitfire doesn't slow down too easily, but this is handled just as real-world operators must, with an overhead break - flying at or below pattern altitude, down the length of the runway, and pulling up into a crosswind mid-field with a 3+ G turn, the speed bleeds right off to the 160 mph gear and flap speed as you level out on the downwind leg. Gear is selected down when on downwind and flaps are selected down just before the base turn or midway through the base turn depending on preference.

The stall speeds seem to be at least a few mph too slow when compared to the book stall speeds of the real Mk.IX. I tend to shoot for about 95 mph before the threshold and as I cross the threshold I pull the power off and keep the stick back until it settles onto the runway in a three-point attitude (of course just playing it by feel, not paying attention to the airspeed at that point). The real Spitfire Mk.IX has no inherent tendency to swerve or groundloop on landing, which is how the FlyingIron Spitfire behaves as well. However, because of the narrow track landing gear, it does want to dance a bit sometimes after touching down, and you have to be very mindful with the ailerons in addition to rudder and elevator on landing rollout. As they say, you don't stop flying it until you're parked and the engine is off.

Also, it will easily nose over if you are hard on the brakes or add too much power while holding the brakes - again, just like the real thing.

One thing that I've noticed (and not only on the Spit) is that on takeoff, the flaps are always down and even when retracting them, they still come down, which is unrealistic for the Spit.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Yeah, something's not right on your end, Priller, as the flaps should be up when you start out and stay up unless you select them down. Perhaps you have more than one controller switch tied to the flaps which is causing it, such as a slider or rotary switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Yeah, something's not right on your end, Priller, as the flaps should be up when you start out and stay up unless you select them down. Perhaps you have more than one controller switch tied to the flaps which is causing it, such as a slider or rotary switch?
    Hmmmm, I do have a Thrustmaster HOTAS setup. Have to look into that! Thanks for the pointer!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post

Ta- C

I'll add that the audio kit is superb. I only wish that Asobo included flyby and tower view in the sim for the full experience.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

An absolutely superb choice of repaint available on Flightsim.to depicting Spitfire Mk.IX ML417 in its "movie paint" for the 1988 tv series "A Piece of Cake": https://flightsim.to/file/10148/flyi...-piece-of-cake

nice shots, John!

Meanwhile, I went French:
    jk2445

jk2446
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

With regard to wheel wells and undercarriage doors - on the Spitfire Mk.IX, my understanding is that they should be silver. (Yellow) zinc chromate is about as wrong of a color to use on them as you can get. Even if someone were to just change it to the pale green British primer, it would look better and would at least match a few restorations.

It is great to see MK265 being given attention, Marcel!

The wheelbays are silver/grey now. Putting up the "B" on the cowling was a challenging job with all the scaling and warping...

Marcel

SOH-CM-2023
    I think the flying qualities of the Spitfire Mk.IX have been captured very well by FlyingIron. It is a more true-to-life flight model than the RealAir Spitfire was in FS2004/FSX/P3D.

As in the case of the real thing, it doesn't take full power to get airborne. In all of the pilot reports I've read over the years, 8+ boost is most often cited for takeoff power, which despite being less than half the available power (+18 boost WEP), it is more than ample. Some modern-day Spitfire Mk.IX operators only use +6 boost for takeoff, and that is sufficient with the FlyingIron Spitfire Mk.IX as well. With fuel only in the bottom tank and +6 boost, 3000 RPM, from brake release it only takes just over 15 seconds to be passing through 90 mph and flying. The correct takeoff trim settings in the Spitfire Mk.IX are +1 elevator (nose up) and 75%-100% right rudder trim, and this is true of the FlyingIron Spitfire Mk.IX as well. On takeoff, especially now following the latest update, it requires some right rudder and right aileron to overcome the torque and p-factor (again, just like the real thing). The rudder is very effective, however, so it is easy to keep it straight with only a little foot pressure.

For climb I typically use +5 boost and 2600 RPM, and it will maintain a 2,000 fpm climb rate at those settings. For cruise I usually use +2 boost and 2300 or 2400 RPM, which gets me about 215 mph indicated. All of those settings are in the ballpark of what is used by Spitfire operators today. In the air, the aircraft is a lot of fun to toss about in the virtual sky. You can really pull and wrap it around and, just like the real thing, it doesn't require a lot of airspeed to do so. The elevators and rudder are very responsive and have a lot of authority. Aileron authority is good, but the roll rate, just like most real Spitfires, is not very fast when compared to some of the other fighters of WWII (such as the P-40). The 'feel' seems all very accurate to what I've read. The clipped-wing version rolls a bit faster than the full-span wings, while it feels like the full-span wings allow you to climb better than the clipped-wing version. Stall speeds appear to be the same no matter which version you're flying. The "virtual stick forces" are very light and responsive, which is how the real-world Spitfire stick forces are described.

When setting up to land, the Spitfire doesn't slow down too easily, but this is handled just as real-world operators must, with an overhead break - flying at or below pattern altitude, down the length of the runway, and pulling up into a crosswind mid-field with a 3+ G turn, the speed bleeds right off to the 160 mph gear and flap speed as you level out on the downwind leg. Gear is selected down when on downwind and flaps are selected down just before the base turn or midway through the base turn depending on preference.

The stall speeds seem to be at least a few mph too slow when compared to the book stall speeds of the real Mk.IX. I tend to shoot for about 95 mph before the threshold and as I cross the threshold I pull the power off and keep the stick back until it settles onto the runway in a three-point attitude (of course just playing it by feel, not paying attention to the airspeed at that point). The real Spitfire Mk.IX has no inherent tendency to swerve or groundloop on landing, which is how the FlyingIron Spitfire behaves as well. However, because of the narrow track landing gear, it does want to dance a bit sometimes after touching down, and you have to be very mindful with the ailerons in addition to rudder and elevator on landing rollout. As they say, you don't stop flying it until you're parked and the engine is off.

Also, it will easily nose over if you are hard on the brakes or add too much power while holding the brakes - again, just like the real thing.
    Thanks, John, for the flying info. I now use a little right rudder trim.

I had a terrible time finding a technique to land the Spit without ending in a crash or ground loop. I would get the plane on the ground in a 3 pt configuration, hard back on the stick and allow the plane to slow on its own. Things would be fine while the plane slowed up to a point when it would begin to tilt on one wheel. After that no control of the ailerons or rudder would end well. I was fearful of using braking else a forward tip over would occur. That was a mistake. Careful braking is essential. I can now land with some confidence.

Btw check out my last paint, the French one, also with silver wheel wells

Very nice seeing the silver wheel wells and gear doors! I noticed the "A Piece of Cake" repaint also has the wheel wells and gear doors silver.

Jankees, did you happen to see post #158? Is there any chance you might be able to update your first five repaints you released (prior to the update) to address the left horizontal/elevator mapping? Your repaint of ML296 'DU-N' has been my go-to/most-used.

Thanks so much for this John! Off to discover her for myself- sounds lovely. The only other a/c in MSFS I'm enamored with atm are the FW149 Piggi and the (shudder) Carenado Mooney. Jets obviously have FBW and WT.

Ta- C

Bought it. What a sweet ride this is. Took off from Naval Air Station Lemoore, CA, in the central valley, and took up a of course 095, which will take you to China Lake, on the other side of the southern parts of the Sierra Nevada range. This is my usual route when testing new planes. Scraped a wing tip on take off, but didn't bend it too badly... She seems a bit heavy on the controls in roll. Apparently this is correct, which is nice. Went inadvertent IMC 'whilst' climbing over the hills, but made it through ok. The pic show me on the other side of the range, entering the Southern CA desert region. Scraped the other wing tip on landing, but didn't ground loop it. She'll need a bit of body work, but otherwise in one piece. Nice work Flyingiron Simulations!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Another detail I only just noticed today is that you can see the wavy heat effect coming from behind the radiators when the engine is running.

Also, for anyone like me who didn't read the manual when first starting out... when starting a real Spitfire, you have to press and hold both the booster coil and starter buttons at the same time, and FlyingIron actually allows you to do this with this aircraft. When both switch covers are open, there is a click spot in-between the buttons which when clicked on activates both buttons simultaneously.

Jankees, did you happen to see post #158? Is there any chance you might be able to update your first five repaints you released (prior to the update) to address the left horizontal/elevator mapping? Your repaint of ML296 'DU-N' has been my go-to/most-used.
    John, I'll see what I can do. But I need to install the update first to see what the problem is..

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Hmmmm, I do have a Thrustmaster HOTAS setup. Have to look into that! Thanks for the pointer!!

Priller
    Priller-

Have a look at A&O by @Lorby_Si (https://axisandohs.weebly.com). Oliver has done his usual superb job and is constantly updating this interface- even works with my MCP in the more modern a/c... brilliant stuff and infinitely customizable.

HTH- C

Members who have read this thread: 1