Released! Spitfire Mk IXc for Microsoft Flight Simulator - Page 10
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Released! Spitfire Mk IXc for Microsoft Flight Simulator

Do FlyingIron have any way to report bugs (forum)? I just wish to mention that the trim tabs seem to move in reverse way, both the rudder and the elevator ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Do FlyingIron have any way to report bugs (forum)? I just wish to mention that the trim tabs seem to move in reverse way, both the rudder and the elevator ones.
    They're on discord, maybe there?

Ziet er goed uit, Marcel!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    They're on discord, maybe there?

Ziet er goed uit, Marcel!
    Do you have their channel address?

Do you have their channel address?
    You can contact them through their site: https://flyingironsimulations.com/pages/contact-us

EDIT: discord channel: https://discord.gg/wXMKANYPb4

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

While you're there could you gently mention that Flap Deployment leads to very unrealistic nose up attitude. Just needs to be toned down a bit that's all.

Otherwise, encourage these guys - they've built a good airframe.

We at the old Outhouse are the real Testers of warbirds so let's help them to get it good.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post

We at the old Outhouse are the real Testers of warbirds so let's help them to get it good.
    That is exactly my intention.

Priller, thanks for the Discord address!

Here is an extremely early work-in-progress look at PT879, the "Russian Spitfire", which is one of the most recently completed Spitfire restorations, belonging to Peter Teichman/Hangar 11 Collection at North Weald. PT879, I believe, is the last known surviving Spitfire to have served with Russia, having been one of the 1,185 Spitfire Mk.IX's provided as part of Lend-Lease. It served in the Murmansk region and was involved in a mid-air collision on May 18, 1945 over the Kola Peninsula, with the pilot bailing out successfully. The battered but well-preserved airframe was recovered by Peter Monk in 1997 and later sold to Peter Teichman in 2001. The restoration was completed just this past fall at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, and was flown home to North Weald earlier this year.

The colors are all new and accurate, based on authentic color chips. The layout of the camouflage is just about completed, but what you see here is just a "guide", just to make sure everything aligns correctly. I will use this to go back in and reproduce with an airbrushed/feathered edge to the green paint (the ocean grey paint already has been airbrushed on, below the green). The top coat of camouflage paint has not yet been applied to the cannons. It will probably take me until next weekend to get it finished as it looked in this delivery scheme, and then I will be working on adding the Russian paint and markings applied over the British insignias. Lots and lots of stencils to add too, as this one has got them all - including some stencils, authentic to original, that I don't think have ever been seen on any other restored Spitfire (pretty cool). When everything is completed, I will upload the paint scheme both with and without the Russian paint/markings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Here is an extremely early work-in-progress look at PT879, the "Russian Spitfire", which is one of the most recently completed Spitfire restorations, belonging to Peter Teichman/Hangar 11 Collection at North Weald. PT879, I believe, is the last known surviving Spitfire to have served with Russia, having been one of the 1,185 Spitfire Mk.IX's provided as part of Lend-Lease. It served in the Murmansk region and was involved in a mid-air collision on May 18, 1945 over the Kola Peninsula, with the pilot bailing out successfully. The battered but well-preserved airframe was recovered by Peter Monk in 1997 and later sold to Peter Teichman in 2001. The restoration was completed just this past fall at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, and was flown home to North Weald earlier this year.

The colors are all new and accurate, based on authentic color chips. The layout of the camouflage is just about completed, but what you see here is just a "guide", just to make sure everything aligns correctly. I will use this to go back in and reproduce with an airbrushed/feathered edge to the green paint (the ocean grey paint already has been airbrushed on, below the green). The top coat of camouflage paint has not yet been applied to the cannons. It will probably take me until next weekend to get it finished as it looked in this delivery scheme, and then I will be working on adding the Russian paint and markings applied over the British insignias. Lots and lots of stencils to add too, as this one has got them all - including some stencils, authentic to original, that I don't think have ever been seen on any other restored Spitfire (pretty cool). When everything is completed, I will upload the paint scheme both with and without the Russian paint/markings.

Fantastic work John!!!
    Cheers

Stéph.

Superb! Looking forward to this one.

This is the first time I make a request for a repaint but I am very much connected with this Spitfire since my childhood. It was probably the reason I got plane crazy and most specifically Spitfire crazy since I remember myself.

MJ755 is a veteran that was displayed outdoors in the War museum for years, (where we first met) then moved indoors to the HAF museum in Tatoi. Recently restored and flew at Biggin Hill:

https://www.memorialflightclub.com/b...ot-george-dunn

Looking forward to seeing this beauty fly at local airshows when these start again after the pandemic. In the meantime it would be good to fly it in the sim.

I know it has the wrong rudder shape but I don't mind at all...

Thank you, Stéph and Brad! It will of course look better/more the part in a few day's time with the green paint properly "feathered/airbushed" and numerous stencils.

Dimus, that one has been done, but it has got some issues due to the painter not noticing the inherent problems with the product paintkit (a number of parts, such as the exhaust stacks, wingtip lights and tires not being textured properly), and there are some elements of the paint scheme itself which could be made more accurate: https://flightsim.to/file/11441/hell...spitfire-mj755

If a better version doesn't come along, I plan on doing my own version of MJ755, as like PT879, I have a lot of "behind-the-scenes" detail photos. MJ755 is planned to be sent back to Greece, but at this time it still remains with the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar in the UK, where it was restored, due to continued COVID restrictions.

After seeing your work on PT879, Bomber_12th, I went back and refined MJ627 - even tried messing with the 'COMP' files. Quite pleased with the result...

20210405193033_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

20210405193537_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

20210405193447_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

20210405193419_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

20210405193052_1 by Brad617, on Flickr

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad617 View Post
    After seeing your work on PT879, Bomber_12th, I went back and refined MJ627 - even tried messing with the 'COMP' files. Quite pleased with the result...

Brad
    Just taking a wild guess here Brad - but is that the area of Normandy between Caen and Le Havre?

I flew it the other day on the way to Paris from Guernsey.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Blog Entries
    OK, So I did some poking around in the flight_model.cfg files as I was also experiencing the extreme and uncontrollable pull to the left. What I found was that they had set the P-Factor in their tuning section to a scalar of 2.5. The Default setting on that which we've all come to lovingly hate over the years, is 1.0. SO!
    Open your flight_model.cfg file in a text editor and scroll down to the flight tuning section (above [Reference Speeds) cand change P-factor_on_yaw from 2.5 to something <1.0. Dont touch anything else, but P-factor is safe to modify..

I also noticed that with My copy of the aircraft it will constantly do loops without any input and it will not trim the elevator, so perhaps theres more than meets the eye here.. I will wait for them to make adjustments and send out an update for that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    Just taking a wild guess here Brad - but is that the area of Normandy between Caen and Le Havre?

I flew it the other day on the way to Paris from Guernsey.
    It's just to the North of Coningsby actually on a quick test flight to see how the new textures reacted to the lighting. I can see how it could be mistaken for Northern France though.

Brad

MJ627 looks great, Brad!

In working on PT879, I of course wanted a restored look but without losing all of the rivet/panel line/fastener detail in the textures. What I did on my end was I took the "Metal" layer, which has all of the rivets/panel lines/fasteners baked into it, and placed it over the paint layers, setting it to Overlay. I then adjusted the values of the Metal layer so that it didn't effect the tonal values of the paint. I took the weathered rivet/panel line/fastener layer and set it at a low visibility (11-percent I think). I then went back in and traced all of the panel lines and fasteners on new layers, also set at fairly low visibility, just to make them a bit darker/stand out a bit better.

While getting to know the model/mapping better, and finding out where every part is located in the textures, I've also corrected the placement of the left upper elevator texture (rivets/panel lines), which is off in both the paint kit and the product paint schemes - the normal map for the left upper elevator is correctly positioned, so it was just a matter of moving the features of the left upper elevator in the Albedo and Complete map textures to line up.

MJ627 looks great, Brad!

In working on PT879, I of course wanted a restored look but without losing all of the rivet/panel line/fastener detail in the textures. What I did on my end was I took the "Metal" layer, which has all of the rivets/panel lines/fasteners baked into it, and placed it over the paint layers, setting it to Overlay. I then adjusted the values of the Metal layer so that it didn't effect the tonal values of the paint. I took the weathered rivet/panel line/fastener layer and set it at a low visibility (11-percent I think). I then went back in and traced all of the panel lines and fasteners on new layers, also set at fairly low visibility, just to make them a bit darker/stand out a bit better.

While getting to know the model/mapping better, and finding out where every part is located in the textures, I've also corrected the placement of the left upper elevator texture (rivets/panel lines), which is off in both the paint kit and the product paint schemes - the normal map for the left upper elevator is correctly positioned, so it was just a matter of moving the features of the left upper elevator in the Albedo and Complete map textures to line up.
    Thanks although you definitely seem to have gotten a better restored effect than I have! How are you editing the 'Complete' maps? I just converted the originals into a PNG file, started adding different shades/details in layers in Gimp and then thrashed around treating it like an Alpha file. There's still some tweaking to do but it seems to be working OK.

Brad

My plan is to use edited versions of the existing complete maps from the default product paint scheme - editing out features of that paint scheme and editing in features of PT879's paint scheme (just a matter of changing grey values slightly up or down). I'll also be editing out the paint chips in the blue channel, but keeping the scratches and other details in the green channel.

With the complete maps, the green channel is like the specular map, while the blue channel is like the alpha (reflection) map, and I edit both independently and paste them back into their channel slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad617 View Post
    It's just to the North of Coningsby actually on a quick test flight to see how the new textures reacted to the lighting. I can see how it could be mistaken for Northern France though.

Brad
    Flat land with multiple crops being grown. Easy to mistake.
    Lovely shots though.
    Nice one.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    OK, So I did some poking around in the flight_model.cfg files as I was also experiencing the extreme and uncontrollable pull to the left. What I found was that they had set the P-Factor in their tuning section to a scalar of 2.5. The Default setting on that which we've all come to lovingly hate over the years, is 1.0. SO!
    Open your flight_model.cfg file in a text editor and scroll down to the flight tuning section (above [Reference Speeds) cand change P-factor_on_yaw from 2.5 to something <1.0. Dont touch anything else, but P-factor is safe to modify..

I also noticed that with My copy of the aircraft it will constantly do loops without any input and it will not trim the elevator, so perhaps theres more than meets the eye here.. I will wait for them to make adjustments and send out an update for that..
    Pam, thanks for this and I just want to ask; what do you make of the Flaps Deployment Behaviour at or about 140 KIAS making the thing rear up like Tonto?
    Is there anything we can do about it to make it more realistic - or, indeed, is this the expected behaviour of the Spit?

Being an old pa-28 pilot I really would have no idea - is it meant to be that violent - less like Flaps and more like an Air Brake? - in which case, as it's under-wing I'd expect a fully nose-down moment - which is not the case.

Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Yeah, on the real Spitfire, the flaps cause the nose to drop a bit when deployed. I don't think the flaps on the FlyingIron Spitfire were as much an issue prior to the last MSFS Sim Update.

Blog Entries
    It;s an easy mistake to make.. Most flaps provide lift. Barn door flaps also provide lift, till you drop them straight down and increase their drag to ungodly levels. At that point the plane pitches forward and nose down and your headed into the ground.. usually, this can be adjusted by giving your flaps the correct pitching moment and in the correct direction. I feel in an awkward space as I really want to see these guys succeed, but I want to see THEM succeed. I dont want to grandstand on their hard work.. but yeah, their pitch moment flaps is pointing in the wrong direction..

My plan is to use edited versions of the existing complete maps from the default product paint scheme - editing out features of that paint scheme and editing in features of PT879's paint scheme (just a matter of changing grey values slightly up or down). I'll also be editing out the paint chips in the blue channel, but keeping the scratches and other details in the green channel.

With the complete maps, the green channel is like the specular map, while the blue channel is like the alpha (reflection) map, and I edit both independently and paste them back into their channel slots.
    Thanks for that explanation - completely alien to me! I shall begin faffing.

Brad

John, Brad, Mgr do any of you have a shot of the stenciling underside of the wings, towards the tips? I can't find any photos that are legible. Appreciate it.

Doug

Image12 by Doug Smith, on Flickr

Some very nice repaint work going on there!

(I can't wait to see the finished version of PT879 John).

Talking of MJ755, The Two Seat Spitfire Page has just linked some nice close up shots of it at Biggin Hill, which should come in very handy for those wishing to do a repaint of it.

www.facebook.com/TheTwoSeatSpitfirePage/photos/pcb.1707533942766010/1707528889433182/?type=3&theater

Cheers

Paul

Members who have read this thread: 3