Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
I want to make certain that we're talking about the same numbers. ?
Good morning Nagpaw,

I always use IAS speed in kt reading. And I use IAS kt speed info on DC-4 from sources in the vast world of internet. I installed into DC-4 package my speedometer gauge that gives me IAS kt speed reading and pressing ctl-Z in FSX to produce informative readings in red font which confirms accuracy of IAS kt speed reading from the custom made speedometer gauge.

Also, many DC-4 manual books offer speed charts in both mph and IAS speed which I get info from.

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
At 10,000 feet, a TAS of 180 knots would be about 150 knots IAS, or 174 miles per hour on the airspeed gauge. Is that the speed you're getting, and how much power is required to hold that?
After finishing three successful Flight Replicas Carvair flights with too low speed, yesterday I made first Flight Replicas DC-4 flight which unfortunately produced same speed result as Carvair.

I set 35 percent fuel, 600 lb crew, and heavier 12,000 lb of cargo loads into DC-4 to recreate historic flight between CYZF and CYHY by Buffalo Airways DC-4 doing emergency last minute Christmas gifts and food load supply from CYZF to CYHY with hope to be able to reach 10,000 ft cruising altitude!

So far, I could not make to 10,000ft and had to settle for 6,000 ft because the climb was painfully too slow at 200 fpm climb rate. I could not do 500 fpm or 1,000 fpm climb because that made the speed too dangerously low which forced me to settle for 200 fpm climb rate to maintain stable speed.

I wound up cruising at 6,000 ft at the IAS speed of 161 kt, 185 miles per hour, and 170 kn ground speed (stated by GPS) This might be realistic for Buffalo Airways DC-4s in present time (I know Buffalo Airways prefer 145-150 kt cruising IAS speed for DC-4) but too low for commercial airlines such as Pan Am or Delta or so on in era 1950s.

As for how much power I used, I used full throttle power and full propeller control throttle and full mixture. Yes yes yes it is too unrealistic but that is only way I can maintain acceptable speed even though it is too low.

Also flying first DC-4 flight produced new interesting problem. Whenever I clicked anti-ice or deice switches for wings and engines, it worked fine BUT BUT whenever I clicked two deice pitot tube switches, it always caused FSX freeze with the error message seen below so I was forced to fly the DC-4 flight in freezing below temperature weather without use of deice pitot tube switches.

Regards,

Aharon

Error message seen below whenever I tried to click on two deice pitot tube switches:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: ai_player.dll, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e180c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00036419
Faulting process id: 0x2cd0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6fe574bb67304
Faulting application path: D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ai_player.dll
Report Id: 17864985-a648-4fbf-894e-ffa1d373d59e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: