A little "how do you do it"?

Thread: A little "how do you do it"?

SOH-CM-2024

A little "how do you do it"?

Gentlemen, I have finally after many months of trial and error, learned how to get a livery to work in MSFS. But I have one nagging little question. The repaint is of the Asobo C152 and it has the registration on the tail. That was no problem. But MSFS also adds my fictional registration N1103 on the sides and under the wings. I do not want that. How would one go about having MSFS not recognize my registration number? Is there some in the aircraft.cfg for my livery that I can add or adjust? Any Hints are helpful. Many thanks to Jan Kees Bloom for that JSON.exe he put in his P194 livery. That was all I needed.

Cazzie

It's doable, but not pretty.

It involves creating a panel.cfg and setting the size of the registration to zero or nearly zero. Unfortunately, with the last couple of revisions of MSFS, when you have a local panel.cfg, you also have to have a local panel.xml in the same directory (as far as I can tell), or in another mod in the community directory. If you don't, then some instruments may not have their text turn on. It's kind of ok for default aircraft, or where the developer doesn't encrypt their files like the Long Ez and P.149, where you can find the panel.xml and copy it to your livery's panel directory. But you're out of luck for deluxe/premium planes or Carenado aircraft where the panel.xml file is encrypted, unless you can figure out what needs to be in the panel.xml file (basically, what's the name of the instrument and what circuit is it on) which you could get from the systems.cfg file, but that, also, is encrypted.

The other issue then becomes for planes like the C152 that have mods. If your livery loads after the mod, and the panel.xml conflicts with the mod, that causes issues, too. In the example of the C152X or JPLogistics C152 mods, if you have the default panel.xml in your livery, then the radio text is turned off and on with the taxi lights switch (They put the radios on the same circuit that the default plane uses for the taxi lights). In that case, if you delete the panel.xml from the layout.json of your livery, all is happy again because the panel.xml from the mod still works.

Be that as it may, you can check out my livery for C152 N48270 at flightsim.to for an example of how I turn off the registration on the sides and wing of the plane, but still allow ATC to communicate with the registration number.

I have no understanding of why Asobo has made it so hard for people to create liveries.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    It's doable, but not pretty.

It involves creating a panel.cfg and setting the size of the registration to zero or nearly zero. Unfortunately, with the last couple of revisions of MSFS, when you have a local panel.cfg, you also have to have a local panel.xml in the same directory (as far as I can tell), or in another mod in the community directory. If you don't, then some instruments may not have their text turn on. It's kind of ok for default aircraft, or where the developer doesn't encrypt their files like the Long Ez and P.149, where you can find the panel.xml and copy it to your livery's panel directory. But you're out of luck for deluxe/premium planes or Carenado aircraft where the panel.xml file is encrypted, unless you can figure out what needs to be in the panel.xml file (basically, what's the name of the instrument and what circuit is it on) which you could get from the systems.cfg file, but that, also, is encrypted.

The other issue then becomes for planes like the C152 that have mods. If your livery loads after the mod, and the panel.xml conflicts with the mod, that causes issues, too. In the example of the C152X or JPLogistics C152 mods, if you have the default panel.xml in your livery, then the radio text is turned off and on with the taxi lights switch (They put the radios on the same circuit that the default plane uses for the taxi lights). In that case, if you delete the panel.xml from the layout.json of your livery, all is happy again because the panel.xml from the mod still works.

Be that as it may, you can check out my livery for C152 N48270 at flightsim.to for an example of how I turn off the registration on the sides and wing of the plane, but still allow ATC to communicate with the registration number.

I have no understanding of why Asobo has made it so hard for people to create liveries.
    Thank you much, I shall have a look into your livery, because I have it. Matter of fact used it as a base for my repaint, because it had the same scheme from the same time period with the reg on the tail fin.

Cazzie

Blog Entries
    Caz,

I think if you go to Liveries, after selecting the plane, and put the MSFS registration number into the tail number section, they will match. Or, am I misunderstanding your question?
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I believe he's looking to get rid of the one that the sim superimposes on top of the livery.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

BTW, my Daniel Webster College C172 liveries show how to lump several liveries into a single package while still working with other drag and drop packages for the same plane.

Members who have read this thread: 0