How do I add FLCP markings and IFOLS trailers to runways
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I add FLCP markings and IFOLS trailers to runways

How do I add FLCP markings and IFOLS trailers to runways

Hey all,

I am currently working on a scenery package for NAS Chase Field and I was wondering how do I add FLCP markings and IFOLS trailers to the field's runways with ADE? Or is there another program or way to do it? (Pardon my lack of knowledge, this is my first scenery development.)

Thanks,

Goshawk45

Check Out RFN

There is scenery to download IFLSO trailers at the same site you get RFN Tacan.

http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....-Creations.htm

Look under "SCENES" and you will find a package. If you check out one of the online NAS Downloads like Fentress in ADEx you may see how they mark the runways. I have done quite a few airports with ADEx but never added the FCLP markings on the runways. Interested in how you manage to do it.

For all you ever wanted to know about the subject here is a link for you.

https://www.navair.navy.mil/sites/g/...51-50aaa-2.pdf

goes to an automatic pdf download of the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    There is scenery to download IFLSO trailers at the same site you get RFN Tacan.

http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....-Creations.htm

Look under "SCENES" and you will find a package. If you check out one of the online NAS Downloads like Fentress in ADEx you may see how they mark the runways. I have done quite a few airports with ADEx but never added the FCLP markings on the runways. Interested in how you manage to do it.

For all you ever wanted to know about the subject here is a link for you.

https://www.navair.navy.mil/sites/g/...51-50aaa-2.pdf

goes to an automatic pdf download of the pub.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Only problem is, it won't let me place the IFOLS trailer with ADE, I guess I have to use the object placement tool with the FSX SDK. I will try and figure this out.

Great news, figured out how to add the IFLOLS trailers. And as a bonus, also added some static T-2's on the ramp, found the file here in the library Just cannot figure out how to do the carrier deck pattern on the runway, anyone know?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IFOLS.jpg   T2.jpg  

FCLP Runway Markings

I think that these could be created in either GMAX or Sketchup. Exported to MDCx and a scenery bgl created just like a building or object and placed in ADEx on the runway. I just printed out the layout page from the Navy manual. I decided to try an experiment like I said above in Sketchup and opened up the ADEx for KNIP by Jim Dhaenens. First I installed and looked at it in FSX. Interestingly, it has the arresting wires on Runway 1 however there are no FCLP carrier layout lines on the runways. If JAX was not used for FCLP but outlying fields why the arresting wires? Anyway, I opened up the AFCAD in ADEx; installed the bgl I created in MDCx and it works placing it on the runway. It took my about 30 minutes just to do the outline so I guess it is probably 4-5 hours to put all the markings on it. You can get 2015 or 2016 yet for free. I didn't "corrupt" my KNIP layout with it but itcan be placed in ADEx so I am going to guess it will be visible on the runway. Here is a download link for the bgl of it for you to try. Let me know how it looks on your runway.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gnlsr...out+4.BGL/file
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; January 2nd, 2021 at 12:34.

TV On Holiday Weekends

I thought that I would fire up my trusty Sketchup 2015 and see what I could do with the FCLP carrier markings and for the first shot it came out pretty good I think. I am going to have to raise the height just a few inches I think that some of it doesn't disappear but here it is on a test of KNMM.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first attempt not too bad.jpg  

I thought that I would fire up my trusty Sketchup 2015 and see what I could do with the FCLP carrier markings and for the first shot it came out pretty good I think. I am going to have to raise the height just a few inches I think that some of it doesn't disappear but here it is on a test of KNMM.

Thanks for this, but they appear grey after I place them on the runway in ADE. Do you know what is going on? I have them adjusted to be on the surface of the runway and they do not have any color.

There are 3 ways of applying FCLP markings that I am aware of. I've used a couple in my sceneries and definitely prefer one way over the other.

The best is, as mentioned, is to create the runway itself as a 3d model in appropriate software, applying the textures as layers to the runway object. This is how most payware developers do it. The lights are also created this way.

The most obvious way is to create the FCLP markings (the "box") as a scenery object of the stripes and then insert into the scenery on top of the runway. I believe you are seeing the issues with this method. Even when placing the object slightly above the runway surface, there will always be some viewing angle where the markings disappear. Or, if too close to the runway surface, they "bleed" into the runway textures.

The 3rd method, and the one that I preferred, was creating the striping as a scenery object and then using ModelConverterX to make it into a ground poly. This method has the simplicity of making a scenery object (say in Sketchup) and the advantage of overlaying at the correct height on the runway. You can also make groundpolys with ADE but I am not familiar with this capability.

Hope this helps. I will look thru my scenery making archive (long retired) and see if I have any documentation.

PS. I found a doc made for a friend of how to make ground polys from Sketchup and ModelConverterX. Not sure I remember all the details so please take this for what it is worth.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlsmMPaYhNFtgeZ4...StdlQ?e=czZJR0

PPS. Here are a version of FCLP boxes I created for Meridian scenery that remains unfinished and unpublished. Feel free to dissect and use them freely in any project. Not sure how they might fit the version of Meridian that you are using but you can always move/rotate them with ModelConverterX with techniques shown in the PDF.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlsmMPaYhNFtgeZ5...k98Xw?e=g3r0yS

OK Now That I have it...

To Gene and Henry,

I have created the finished product of the striping no lights attached (yet), MDCx. Yesterday though it was only preliminary, I got the striping to show on the runway. Now that it is all finished, I placed it as a scenery.bgl in ADEx and it shows perfectly in the program. I compile it and that seems to be no problem. I was sure that the scenery bgl is in the "scenery" folder with the airport bgl and add it to FSX Addon Scenery and install it properly. BUT and its a big one, when I open up the airport there is no striping AT ALL visible on the runway. I even tried a simple one runway no scenery airport and still the same problem. I followed the advice about creating a ground poly with the wizard in MDCx without any problems and exported the bgl through the wizard. But now what do I do with it because it is not a scenery object ADEx doesn't add it to the Library Manager. HELP!!!!!

I would like to know why or else I would just send you the layout.bgl (scenery) and the layout.bgl (ground poly) or do I do that and you and Henry take it from here. I did the 4 hours of Sketchup 2015 work. Which I COULD send the layout.skp or layout.dae too. LMK what you want.

Richard

Richard,

My apologies, I am far away and out of the scenery business. Funny I remember the mistakes more then the how-to successes.

If I come across anything else in my archives that might be helpful, I will post. That is the sincere best that I can contribute at this time.

Will keep an eye on the thread.

Well here it is

Thank you Henry for your help, truly. I too remember the not so goods as well as the wow thats great sceneries too. Anyway, I was talking to edakridge my friend and mentor/tester and he suggested that maybe they needed textures so I added color textures to each rectangle individually and lo and behold as they said in times past:

Full shot

and here is the bgl to add to the library in ADEx:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zbwmb...out-1.BGL/file

Let me know how it works. For some silly reason even though I painstakingly added them exactly none of the lights I created from real photos of actual Navy lights I found from manufacturers online, (I wanted them for position in MDCx attach object) they disappear when it is exported from Sketchup.

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shot 1.jpg   shot 2.jpg  

Thanks guys, I will give it a shot.

Got it working, thanks for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ball.jpg  

VFR Only

Are you going to do VFR Daylight Only Flights or do you know how to open it in MDCx and attach lights? Its not difficult but very time consuming to get them in the right place.

I think I will make it daylight only. I do not have MDCx and I think the Navy student pilots only do daylight carrier ops during flight school.

OK

Gotcha. Much easier. It really looks nice.

Gotcha. Much easier. It really looks nice.
    Thanks, and thank you for making these!

Quote Originally Posted by goshawk45 View Post
    I think I will make it daylight only. I do not have MDCx and I think the Navy student pilots only do daylight carrier ops during flight school.
    True --they do first night quals in the fleet replacement squadron (RAG) they are assigned to after they get their wings.

Training

At the time of its closure in 1993, it was home to Training Air Wing Three (tail code "C"), part of Naval Air Training Command, with training squadrons VT-24 Bobcats, VT-25 Cougars, and VT-26 Tigers flying the T-2C Buckeye and TA-4J Skyhawk II jet trainers. The wing was disestablished on 31 Aug 1992,[8] prior to the closure of the base.

I would interpret this as "no lights" just VFR training for the student pilots.

I just looked up some of my work on the T-2C Buckeyes that I did "back in the day" for Gene. They were assigned to Kingsville, TX TAW-2 with their "Bravo" Tailcode. I saw that I did these 4 years ago now, how time flies! I could try and find the original files if you need a Buckeye to fly here. Have you ever flown in JOIN FS? I don't have Dino's TA-4 Skyhawk. A good day to ya all.

That would be great Richard, if you don't mind! I have really ben enjoying your Buckeye paints and Texan II paint jobs in my simulator. The TA-4J from Dino at India Foxtrot Echo has TW-3 texture already, just a heads up for those interested. I haven't flown in JOIN FS, what is it?

----- I would interpret this as "no lights" just VFR training for the student pilots. -----
    Just to be clear, students did not do night FCLPs (day only carrier quals, normally at an outlying practice field or "OLF" so as not to clobber the intense normal training flights at home base). At Beeville it was OLF Goliad, 16 nm NW of Chase. You can see the two runways on Google Earth, south of the town of Goliad. For the squadrons at NAS Kingsville, they used OLF Alice Orange Grove.

However, night flying was integral to basic and advanced training, so night ops on the runways at Chase, Kingsville, Meridian, etc were normal.

Night training included night familiarization, night basic/advanced instruments ---- and night formation 2 and 4 plane (sweaty palms for us instructors!).

As an additional note - Chase, Kingsville, Meridian - did not have an ILS or VOR. Most NAS's didn't because they used UHF TACAN, UHF NDBs, and GCA for precision IFR approaches. Reserve NAS's were often co-located at civil airfields and used that field's ILS. These were often home to VR squadrons and their C-47 / C-54 / C-118 / C-9s did have ILS receivers. NAS Dallas, NAS Minneapolis, etc. as examples.
    Last edited by Mike71; January 5th, 2021 at 08:10.

Join FS is

That would be great Richard, if you don't mind! I have really ben enjoying your Buckeye paints and Texan II paint jobs in my simulator. The TA-4J from Dino at India Foxtrot Echo has TW-3 texture already, just a heads up for those interested. I haven't flown in JOIN FS, what is it?
    Here is a link to their site which has just been updated after a couple of years that explains it all. I have to download the new version.

https://pmem.uk/joinfs/

Thanks, I just downloaded it, seems cool, can't wait to try it out. Here is a progress shot from the base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021-1-5_12-0-32-478.jpg  

It IS Cool

Thanks, I just downloaded it, seems cool, can't wait to try it out. Here is a progress shot from the base.
    When it first came out, I flew a number of missions with the 91st BG in the A2A B17G and it is awesome. You can fly with a wingman; a squadron if you have enough participants or in the same aircraft sharing it like student and instructor in a trainer. Way cool! I am really excited that Peter jumped back in the game.

When it first came out, I flew a number of missions with the 91st BG in the A2A B17G and it is awesome. You can fly with a wingman; a squadron if you have enough participants or in the same aircraft sharing it like student and instructor in a trainer. Way cool! I am really excited that Peter jumped back in the game.
    Cool, I see that there is a server for simouthouse on the program, maybe one of these days we'll go tear up the pattern at Chase Field once its done.

Members who have read this thread: 2