a working aircraft carrier for MSFS - NEW - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a working aircraft carrier for MSFS - NEW

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Yeah, and that is a valid argument. I'm not partial to any sim because "it's this sim or that sim". I'm just partial to the most authentic experience. Whatever sim that happens to be. The individual or team required to achieve it, isn't even a factor for me. Only the end result. So, to me the comparison is fair. Especially since they are asking 1/3 the cost of the DCS version. But that's my opinion. So clearly, your mileage may vary, and that's totally fine.

@heywooood, BTW, the DCS Super Carrier is currently $34.99 with the sale price. It ends really soon. Double the price (of this one) for like 500% the functionality. In case you missed it.

Edit:. I probably should note that while the individual or team isn't a factor in terms of how I judge the content, that's not me deminishing the achievements of single or smaller contributes and their time. It's just Like all of you make decisions on how to spend my money. Didn't want to.soumd too harsh there. I vue the small single contributers and many of them make.equal or even better products than large teams.
    Thanks for the heads up about the sale. With so very few aircraft available to use for MSFS carrier ops its hard not to go DCS for the experience.

I feel kind of bad because I realize I'm not supportive enough of the "new developer" who try to bring new stuff to MSFS.
    Maybe I became too old already and I'm not open-minded enough to tolerate the bad sides/limitations of some addons (especially paywares...).
    Apologies for that.

I agree 100% DCS might provide the best naval experience right now. I base my opinion only on the many videos I've seen on youtube and the many feedbacks I've read from you fellow simmers.
    That being said, I have not and will not download and install DCS. DCS is a super specialized sim that simply won't allow me to do what I want. More precisely, it won't allow me to fly what I want or where I want (although I do REALLY want to fly a Tomcat ).

What I loved in FSX/P3D was that ability to place a carrier anywhere on the globe, fly to it, and land on it. Also in multiplayer. I loved that so much.
    Yes, carriers in FSX and P3D were ridiculously limited: no specific ATC (although the RFN gauge improved that quite a bit), no interactive crew (last time I saw that was on that old sim F/A-18 Hornet, there was some crew to guide you to the catapults ). Nevertheless, they were great and looked great, especially in P3D with 3D waves.

I'm sure we'll eventually get that in MSFS. Not sure when, though...

Yeah I'm sure at some point, the SDK will finally allow afterburners on jets. Without getting too far off the mark, DCS base sim is free. So you purchase the Super Carrier and the Tomcat or hornet for less than $100 if you use the sale prices right now.

you're in about as much as it cost for deluxe or premium MSFS. Also keep in mind that VNAO is about to release their T-45C. The hornet, A-4E, an Upcoming A-7E and F-8 are also.comimg. Other naval assets exists as AI, and ALL aircraft exists as usable AI even if you don't own them. So even if you buy the tomcat you can still have the highly detailed hornet with all the user made paints visible and working around you. This is why I say it's difficult to.get excited for a half baked naval ops in a sim where its not clear if all these functionalities will ever materialize....

I will welcome them if they do for sure! All I'm saying is why not try it out? I can guarantee you will NOT be disappointed.

Also I wouldn't be worried about feeling like I you're abandoning or being disloyal to a sim community, if that worries you... I fly MSFS for other reasons. And recently rediscovered the joy of bush flying in the Grravel. DCS and MSFS share texture work flow so I'm starting to paint in MSFS now. Some work directly translates over, like the MB 339. Paints made for DCS should work in MSFS.

Anyway, Gooduck everyone with your decisions! Happy New Year! Here's to a better year and prosperity to all!

PS - HB tomcat comes with a Forrestall carrier and soon to be released as well as high detail A-6 AI. If you're looking for more naval ops goodness.
    Last edited by Mach3DS; January 2nd, 2021 at 17:36.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I feel kind of bad because I realize I'm not supportive enough of the "new developer" who try to bring new stuff to MSFS. (they'll sink or swim based on merit - I was just surprised it was panned with silence on FORUM - not that people weren't flocking to buy it)

I agree 100% DCS might provide the best naval experience right now. (AGREE)

What I loved in FSX/P3D was that ability to place a carrier anywhere on the globe, fly to it, and land on it. Also in multiplayer. I loved that so much. (AGREE)

I'm sure we'll eventually get that in MSFS. Not sure when, though...
    (AGREE)

I am hoping that this developer AND MSFS will continue to improve. The thrust of my OP and subsequent comments was not to insist on support for this developer but merely to point out that it was available. Following that I expressed surprise that there appeared to be no interest
    in the topic at all. I agree with everything Daube has stated here and felt the same way about Javier's Nimitz model and subsequent carrier support addons. AICARRIERS, Clemenceau etc..
    Maybe we won't have to wait as long as we think..
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Yeah I'm sure at some point, the SDK will finally allow afterburners on jets. (GOD help ASOBO if it doesn't)

you're in about as much as it cost for deluxe or premium MSFS. Also keep in mind that VNAO is about to release their T-45C. The hornet, A-4E, an Upcoming A-7E and F-8 are also comimg. (A free world with everything included but the aircraft - and each of those cost what an entire sim should cost)

I can guarantee you will NOT be disappointed. (at these prices that would be a crime)

Also I wouldn't be worried about feeling like I you're abandoning or being disloyal to a sim community, if that worries you... I fly MSFS for other reasons. ( life is way too short to do that - I fly IL2:BOS for WWII air combat etc, ROF for WWI, and have owned DCS and Black Shark and LOMAC and all of that for the same reasons)

Happy New Year! Here's to a better year and prosperity to all! (SAME!)

PS - HB tomcat comes with a Forrestall carrier and soon to be released as well as high detail A-6 AI. If you're looking for more naval ops goodness.
    So I bought the Hornet, the Persian Gulf map, and the Super carrier pack earlier tonight...thanks Rick - of course it's all your fault lol
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    So I bought the Hornet, the Persian Gulf map, and the Super carrier pack earlier tonight...thanks Rick - of course it's all your fault lol

HAHA!!! Excellent! I'll take the heat!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Dude - it is just ridiculous how far these things have come just in the last few years. That map and the Super Carrier pack is just what it needed. All that is missing now is the ocean spray coming over the bow and actually hitting you in the face till the canopy closes..

But I was thinking - I had an old combat sim (in the early 90's maybe) based on the F117 nighthawk and there were some impressive missions and visuals in that thing. And I remember thinking at the time - WOW - this is miles ahead of everything.
    Then the original Il2 Sturmovik came along and THAT was the benchmark. Since then there has been a floodgate opened. FSX, ROF, DCS, and now 2nd Gen MSFS and this new round of DCS and IL2:BOS et al pretty much puts us in a Golden Age of flight simulation. All we would really need now is a brand new, fully dedicated Helicopter Sim and the world would be truly round again.
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Dude - it is just ridiculous how far these things have come just in the last few years. That map and the Super Carrier pack is just what it needed. All that is missing now is the ocean spray coming over the bow and actually hitting you in the face till the canopy closes..

But I was thinking - I had an old combat sim (in the early 90's maybe) based on the F117 nighthawk and there were some impressive missions and visuals in that thing. And I remember thinking at the time - WOW - this is miles ahead of everything.
    Then the original Il2 Sturmovik came along and THAT was the benchmark. Since then there has been a floodgate opened. FSX, ROF, DCS, and now 2nd Gen MSFS and this new round of DCS and IL2:BOS et al pretty much puts us in a Golden Age of flight simulation. All we would really need now is a brand new, fully dedicated Helicopter Sim and the world would be truly round again.
    Full Fidelity (Circa 2002) AH-64D and Hind are coming to DCS... sorry... I know this is MSFS...but it's relevant to the conversation.

From Reddit:From Kate Perederko (dotrugirl) on Discord:Stable version will be updated in the coming days, before the holidays (Dec 31 -- Jan 10 in Russia).The AH-64D (2002) will be developed, but the Early Access version will be closer to the AH-64A in terms of features
    . Radar is not yet confirmed ("it's a secret").
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I think the conversation is fine. Sure it wandered off from the Hard Deck Sim carrier app for MSFS but it’s all about the world of flight. What I like about MS approach to flight simming from FSX and now MSFS is the idea that the globe itself is the centerpiece. Sure the environments, and the airplanes matter a bit - but they seem to have been determined to model the planet first.
    It is important but there is an entire world of aviation too. The thing MSFS is most notable for is what is missing. No gliders, no helicopters, no warbirds, no barnstormers, no air racers, no military planes - not even non lethal training aircrafts.
    I know the social trend is to stay clear of ‘controversy’ and the culture of ‘backlash’ but it’s out of control absurd now. But that only ?explains? The lack of combat type or warbird commemorative aircrafts. Why no gliders? Why no Stearman? Why no Bell 222 or Iroquois?
    No Robinson R44?
    They modeled the world. It should be called MS Earth Simulator...with a few airplanes..
    enter..the Sandman

I think that you've hit the nail on the head there Heywood - it's a world simulator now, into which aircraft can be added, along with other things no doubt. MSFS has potential applications far beyond flight simulation, if you think about it, and I'm certain Microsoft would have this in mind going forward.

For what it's worth ( as a one-man band and not a major organisation ) DCS World's super carrier is what I'm keeping my eye on going forward with Kitty Hawk. I can't pretend that I'll be able to produce a module to that level of realism in terms of ATC and so on, but for visuals and animations I'm getting good enough now to get close to something like that. In MSFS, it'll look great ( due to the sim, not me ) and with all that lovely weather carrier landings will become a real challenge for sim pilots looking to earn their wings of gold

Additional features that I'm hoping to include with Kitty Hawk are rolling / pitching deck based on weather, fully-working meat-ball and possibly some kind of water / bow / wake effects if Asobo have their effects system working by then. It should be a complete package from the off, and then can be enhanced over time as I learn new stuff. I very much want a proper carrier in the sim, and the Hard Deck guys are off to a good start if they learn to use the sim's capabilities to enhance their own product.

I should add that I hate having to use extra gauges while flying in MSFS or any other simulator - wherever possible I like everything to be contained within the package, so the working meatball will actually be active on the deck ( I've figured out a way to make that happen )
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Dino - I’ve no doubt that your project will be as impressive as all the others you have brought to flight simulation, more so now because of your own growth of experience over time and your commitment to the highest quality. I don’t think I speak only for myself when I say this news is Very exciting.
    The thing about MS flight sims like FSX and this new one that I like is that they come to market LOOKING for third party enhancement. Much of what is ‘in the box’ is merely placeholders for future in depth development.
    In this community that is a healthy approach. Especially when there is give and take between the ASOBO MS group and developers like you.
    The most encouraging news beside your announced effort in this endeavor is their cooperation and assistance.
    I look forward to your successful additions to MSFS - whatever they are and whenever they arrive.
    enter..the Sandman

With Dean's Hornet and Kitty Hawk, MSFS will come alive for me. I am putting all my on the table waiting for what Dean comes up with. Sounds like it will be spectacular in visual effects and functionality.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Hard Deck Simulations now has a website:

https://harddecksimulations.com/

New changes:

Version 1.4Release note:-

FIX: Removed Simconnect.cfg which fixes connection issues to MSFS for most users-
    FIX: Solved globalization issue preventing some users on non-US Windows versions from opening the application-
    FEATURE: added tailhook functionality. This will animate tailhooks on FSX imports, and simulates it for aircraft without hooks

Enjoying the moment.

I'm not comparing sims.
    I would love to see heavy weather ship handling in MSFS.
    A while back I was part of a project that designed and placed moving ships in FS9 with external control modules where you could modify pitch and roll. Developed for the US Navy to test different landing light patterns for flight decks it was an absolute blast.

If you've been onboard a ship in bad weather, remember the moment!

Members who have read this thread: 1