Counting my blessings tonight...

Thread: Counting my blessings tonight...

Counting my blessings tonight...

Good evening,

For those who have small children or grandchildren, please have this conversation. I came very close to losing my youngest daughter, Jayden, this morning. She was out with her best friend walking the neighbor's dog when there was an accident that narrowly missed taking two or three lives. A teenage driver was texting and almost barreled right into my neighbor's daughter and mine. Disaster was avoided, but the driver lept the curb and crashed into a stone wall, sustaining serious injuries as a result, as well as totalling his car.

I have taught my children not to walk or run outside with headphones on in order to maintain higher situational awareness. She heard a noise behind her, the dog barked, and both Jayden and her friend Allie jumped out of the way. The car missed them by about two or three feet at the most. Had they been wearing headphones, I'm not sure if they would have been able to react in time to avoid getting hit. Covid protocols be damned, I hugged her harder than possibly any other time in her young life, and I am so grateful that they both seem to be okay.

I don't know at this time how the driver is doing, but I hope he recovers, and learns from this.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Doesn't matter what the calendar says you got a real present today and I know it's one you'll love for years to come.

I don't have kids, but reading this scared me.

Probably the same reason that, as a 46-year old Colonel back in 2007, I heard my Wing Commander make an offhand remark about Halloween that has impacted me to this day: "I don't go out on Halloween. I'm afraid of hitting a kid by accident..."

I haven't gone out on Halloween night in the car since...just the thought of accidentally hitting a kid is THAT scary to me.

Kent

Losing a child is the worst thing that can happen to a person. I know. I'm glad your daughter and her friend were spared.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

So glad to hear that the kids are alright. You would think that by now they would have something in the car that renders a cell phone useless while in "drive" or in gear. It's sad to have to think to impose these kind of restrictions on people but when people can't be trusted to do the right thing...this is what you get.

Andrew,

So glad to hear that both children are safe. Situational awareness and having the time to react saved all involved from what could have been a terrible outcome.

Icon22 Reply...

Thanks for all of the supportive comments. I am grateful as well. She woke up this morning and everything for her was completely normal. You'd never know there was any close call. I'm glad to see how resilient she seems to be.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Thanks for all of the supportive comments. I am grateful as well. She woke up this morning and everything for her was completely normal. You'd never know there was any close call. I'm glad to see how resilient she seems to be.
    Due to being brought up by good parents, I'd bet!

Have a safe New Year!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Wow Rami! Glad they followed instructions from a wise father. Perhaps the teen driver involved will "wise up". Cell phones and the internet can be great things, BUT---
    My wife will not let me talk on Bluetooth on my phone when driving. Too distracting she says and right she is. And texting--probably divorce me. :-(

It is nice to know that she is saved from this disaster. Wishing you a happy new year!

This behaviour enrages me beyond belief. A$holes like these deserve to lose a hand for behaviour like this.

Back in the '60's when I was a Rocker I go out from my estate with three friends to go to the Ace Cafe on the North Circular road to meet the rest of our crew. When assembled we'd all head up to the Busy Bee, as we used to go every night.

The number of times vehicle drivers failed to see ~18 or so Rockers in a group amazed me...

One night Peter Perry ended up sprawled in the middle of the junction at the Harrow Rd./North Circular. The lights were in our favour.

The car driver got out of his car and started mouthing to Pete. Bad move. The driver learned a lesson. When we'd finished with his car all he needed was a bucket to put it in, not that he was in any state to see one.

Back on the bikes, no problem. Just yet another case of 'Sorry mate, didn't see you'.

It's often said 'two wrongs don't make a right'.

Nor does one....

Hang these idiots. It stops the problem...

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by arfyhun View Post

Back on the bikes, no problem. Just yet another case of 'Sorry mate, didn't see you'.

It's often said 'two wrongs don't make a right'.

Nor does one....

Hang these idiots. It stops the problem...

Graham
    SMIDSY - a biker's worst nightmare - not made any better by arsewipes on cell phones!
    Almost run down on a pedestrian crossing a year or 2 back as a texting driver sailed through the lights....his mirror took a hiding though.
    Rami, there were 5 kids wiped out by a car on the footpath here in Australia last year - a family group going for ice creams - tragic. Good thing you trained your girl to concentrate on situational awareness - too few have that these days.

Their guarding angel was there,praise God for his mercy Killer Svend

Gents; in the end all you have to do is listen or see on the net the great George Formby's song 'Count your blessings and smile'.

Not sure about the 'raison d'etre' but the tune always manages to raise my spirit.

Graham.

Members who have read this thread: 0