INITIAL RELEASE: Grumman Goose G21A Redux II
Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: INITIAL RELEASE: Grumman Goose G21A Redux II

INITIAL RELEASE: Grumman Goose G21A Redux II

Initial Release: The Goose is ALMOST Cooked

I am very proud to welcome you to the first release from Wookiee’s Hanger: “Grumman Goose G21A Redux II” for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

This is a faithful and loving restoration and upgrade of the “Ozx Grumman G21A Goose HD Redux” which itself was a loving restoration and upgrade of the default Goose for FSX.

This release is also an Early Preview version and is not considered final. There will be things that may not be complete or working and if it not for the terrible terrible year that was 2020 I would hold off releasing at this point. But I want to bring a little joy to our community and I think she’s in a place to do just that. Whilst the full radio stack is mostly INOP, you can still do a complete and faithfull Cold and Dark start and complete short journey’s with her.

This add-on is only possible due to Microsoft’s fantastic Game Content Usage Rules, available here: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/developers/rules

Microsoft Flight Simulator © Microsoft Corporation. “Grumman Goose G21A Redux II” was created under Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules” using assets from MS Flight Simulator X, and it is not endorsed by or affiliated with Microsoft.

On the 10th of October 2020 I messaged Pam “Warchild” Booker with a screenshot of the OzX Goose sitting in Microsoft Flight Simulator with the following:
    Next private conversion. Wanna play?

I had originally contacted Pam to help me with converting the IRIS P-40E Twin freeware to MSFS (we will release at some point) and little did I know that we would team up and work on several different aircraft (all as yet unreleased) and that this flippant little comment would spark a project that would take 2 months to get to this initial release with a fair bit of development still a head of us. The original OzX release was over 5 months in development and we may come close to that as well.

I’ve always loved Radial engine aircraft, especially anything amphibious. At one point I had saught and received permission to convert the incredible LDR Grumman Mallard for FSX over to the X-Plane platform, as that was my preferred simulator. I flew many many hours in that Mallard and got some ways through my XP conversion before I got involved in other projects like the MD500D Rebuild for XP11. During this time I knew about the Goose but never really gave it a chance, until I found the OzX Goose Redux and was really blown away with what that team was able to achieve. I am certain that this Goose would not look anywhere near as good as it does right now without the incredible work of that team (extracted from the original documentation):

Pam “Warchilld” Brooker: Flight model
    Steven “Gizmo” Hingley: Normall & Spec mapping, 3 Main paint schemes, VC Re-texturing/Night lighting, Wake Effects/Particle textures, Master paint kit layout
    Butch ‘Butch’’ Menchaca:: Two screws and a washer! Hehehehe… Ok seriouslly, Spec mapping, 3 main paint schemes, VC Re-texturing, Master paint kit detaills and two screws and a washer!! Hehehe…

As the saying goes:

We stand on the shoulders of giants
    Thank you Pam, Steven and Butch for making a true classic for the Flight Sim community, I hope we do you proud with our update to your… update. :slight_smile:

A mostly complete change list is provided below and you can see the current development list here: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/developers/rules

We would greatly appreciate bug reports and suggestions for improvement going forward. If you wouldn’t mind using the BUG REPORT template below when you post a bug report it will greatly assist the team in tracking down your particular issue.

Thank you for trying out this early preview. We’re really excited to hear back from and can’t wait to hear about your flights and see some fantastic shots of this water bird in her true. natural environment.

Wookiee’s Hanger Team
    OzWookiee aka BeeJay Bristow-Stagg
    Warchild aka Pam Booker

• Pam Booker appears courtesy of Jade Island Flight Center

DOWNLOAD: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...3&linkid=27553
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails goose-001.jpg  

BUG REPORT
    Issue Experienced:
    Expected Behaviour:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    Please include screenshots and or video where possible.

Changelog:

• Update flight model to msfs standards
    • Update Yoke to use ModelBehaviour
    • Update Pedals to use ModelBehaviour
    • Fix anim on fuel pumps
    • Create basic pbr comp files for all liveries
    • Update all interior anims to new modelbehaviour template format
    • Convert original mdl to native gltf format
    • Upscale all liveries to 4k using AI Upscaler
    • Upscale other low res texture resources using AI Upscaler
    • First pass on exterior lighting
    • First pass on interior lighting
    • Transfer exterior lods from mdl to gltf
    • Remove unneeded external geo in interior model no longer needed with new technique of showing exterior with interior model
    • Adjust interior and exterior geometry to better fit together
    • Replace 2D radio stack with new 3D version
    • 3D Clock instrument
    • 3D Rudder trim wheel
    • 3D Attitude Indicator
    • 3D ADF instrument
    • 3D Flaps indicator
    • 3D Manifold Pressure
    • 3D RPM instrument
    • 3D Altimeter
    • 3D Suction instrument
    • 3D Radio alt instrument
    • 3D Fuel and oil temps instrument
    • 3D Annunciator lights
    • 3D Elelvator trim handle
    • 3D Airspeed instrument
    • 3D Compass
    • 3D VSI
    • 3D Turn coordinator
    • 3D CHT and Carb Temp instruments
    • 3D Ammeters
    • Annunciators tooltips
    • 3D HSI

Cold and Dark Start Checklist

• Master Battery on co-pilot switch panel
    • Fuel Cutoff 1 & 2 ON (behind pilots head)
    • Mixture Rich
    • Prop Full
    • Throttle Cracked
    • Fuel Pump (overhead pilot or on Co-Pilot Switch)
    • Mags ON
    • Flip Starter right to start right engine
    • Adjust to 15" MP
    • Flip Starter left to start left engine
    • Adjust to 15" MP

Congratulations on release. Look forward to trying it out later, MSFS update permitting!

nice

Thanks OZWookie,
    Will test it out for ya this morning. Of course we have a big update for MSFS coming today too. Also OZWookie, do the pontoons deploy for amphibious landings?

It's gonna be a good week. The Goose flies again! Plus an update for MSFS. Plus my Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quad ships this week!
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Thank You!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

She's BEAUTIFUL! Thank you! NC

Some screenshots out of Innsbruck LOWI, and NAS Pensacola KNPA too.....

Desktop Screenshot 2020.12.22 - 08.47.07.59 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Desktop Screenshot 2020.12.22 - 08.49.21.40 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Desktop Screenshot 2020.12.22 - 09.27.09.56 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Hey Chief,
    you just dropped the folder in community right?

Awesome , thanks for the hard work .

Would love to try this, but it seem the latest fs2020 update has broken my sim. Loads then stops. Oh well. Back to FS9 I guess. -d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by firerx View Post
    Hey Chief,
    you just dropped the folder in community right?
    Correct!

Thank you for this gem.

Downloaded it, bur am waiting for the FS2020 update to complete before I can taking her out for a spin.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Correct!
    Are you flying that after the update sir? I cant complete a load up of the sim.

thinkI found the issue. it was Carenado's Mooney

Hey folks, thanks for your kind words. I'm working on a hotfix for the CTDs some people are having.

I too, was experiencing a lot of CTDs with it earlier, but thought perhaps it was a addon scenery I had installed.... NC

OK So looks like we’ve narrowed down the CTD issue being either:

• No SoundAI folder
    • Some issue with LODs

I’m guessing it’s the former and so have to try replicate the issue first so that I can test my fix. Hoping to get a hotfix out before XMas but that will be the last update until late Jan.

Now we're talkin! Round engines and round gauges! Thanks "Team Goose"! Going to download it as soon as this gigantic update finishes downloading.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Thanks you two and everyone from the original development team! This is a welcome addition to this sim. Ken

Thanks, awesome work.
    Does she come with ctrl+e or do we have to make a cold start? choose the plane engines where running took off from airport, make a water landing, engines died and unable to restart...maybe its me...

The start instructions are above, but, yes, ctrl-e works, too. When you say unable to start, are they turning over and just not catching? Make sure you've got about an inch of travel dialed in on the throttles (which is likely why it died). The engines won't run at full idle. Don't forget to open the fuel lines behind you either.

The radios aren't coming on for me. Or rather, there's no display on the radios or any of the devices in the center stack? Anyone else seeing this?

Otherwise, she flies great! Wonderful sound.

Members who have read this thread: 4