Finished my first MSFS project.

Thread: Finished my first MSFS project.

SOH-CM-2024

Finished my first MSFS project.

A scenery project no less. I know most of you, saving Tom, know nothing about Danville, VA or its regional airport, but when MSFS came out and to this day, no one has paid attention to KDAN. Shiloe in Wentworth is well covered by Blarkshark AI, so is Tuck in South Boston and Blue Ridge in Martinsville, all small airports than KDAN. Even two grass strips near Hyco lake are well represented with generic hanger and house. So I would like to give a big thank you to Flying Theston, whose YouTube tutorials lead me through and got me started. Tom Clayton, when I get all the fencing done, I'll upload the Package for the Community folder in MSFS here at the Library. It's really not that large a file, all .blgs with no textures, I used textures within the sim. Noted errors. Blackshark's AI has parking ramps where the Averett University hangers reside and I could not for the life of me exclude the generic AI aircraft from this area. When no planes are parked there, no problem, when they are, they sit on top of the hanger. If any of you pros out there know a fix to this, I am all ears and eyes.

Cazzie

My KDAN Scenery:

https://i.postimg.cc/2yP1dRYg/kdanm-complete.jpg

Looks very nice! NC

Oddly enough, I've never been to that airport. I've done some work for the Target and Home Depot near the river, but that's about it. Looking forward to getting this one! I like doing a DAN-GSO run once in a while, since it's almost a straight shot into 23L.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Caz! You will now be hooked forever on scenery design! Looks VERY nice.

Don Moser

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    Caz! You will now be hooked forever on scenery design! Looks VERY nice.

Don Moser
    How's it going Don. I did a few scenery projects in FS9, but only aircraft repaints for FSX,. no scenery. This is the first project of any kind I have done for MSFS. It's been a hoot since I learned to work with the SDK. Next I want to try a repaint pof the 152 that Jodie Peeler flew. Say hello to the Roanoke bunch, miss you guys, but got old.

Caz

Blog Entries
    Your airport looks great, Caz. Keep it up.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I have actually been at that airport many times while working at the Swedwood plant nearby.
    Never did manage to fly there since the two times I had an extended stay the FBO did not have a plane or CFI to check me out in it.
    And it was a tad bit too far to from my SoCal base to justify flying there in the PA32.

I will definitely get that scenery just for old time sake, the plant is closed now I think and I am back in Germany.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny9850 View Post
    I have actually been at that airport many times while working at the Swedwood plant nearby.
    Never did manage to fly there since the two times I had an extended stay the FBO did not have a plane or CFI to check me out in it.
    And it was a tad bit too far to from my SoCal base to justify flying there in the PA32.

I will definitely get that scenery just for old time sake, the plant is closed now I think and I am back in Germany.
    Get the latest .zip wrapper Sunny et al. It contains the finished airport and is also in a structure more user friendly like Asobo and Blackshark use. For some reason, all airports near by are represents well with generic structures., but they omitted KDAN. My scenery has all the hangers, terminal, and tower, plus street lights and airports lights and most of the fencing. I also moved the terminal and three hangers forward to match their more proper location in Earth. I resized the Averett hanger to a more proper size also, it was too large. By doing so, there is no conflict anymore with the sim's parked aircraft either. I have several aircraft repaints but cannot for the life of me get them to take. I know the layout.JSON and manifest.JSON are correct, but I am thinking somehow I need to create new JSON files for each of the Textures. If anyone here has a clue, let me know, I am at wits end. One is for the sim's Cessna 152 and a good friend who instructed on one in the Spartanburg/Greenville, SC area.

Cazzie

Hi Cazzie,

I just updated a post in the FS2020 tools section ...maybe this will help with the repaints.
    I know exactly how you feel about the files structure
    After spending about two days trying to figure out how to add a DA62 texture I liked and either getting nothing or a CTD I finally came accross that Layout.json creator tool.

Now to find that airport wrapper

Cheers
    Sunny

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny9850 View Post
    Hi Cazzie,

I just updated a post in the FS2020 tools section ...maybe this will help with the repaints.
    I know exactly how you feel about the files structure
    After spending about two days trying to figure out how to add a DA62 texture I liked and either getting nothing or a CTD I finally came across that Layout.json creator tool.

Now to find that airport wrapper

Cheers
    Sunny
    Thanks Sunny,
    I have the layout.json creator tool. I just need to know how to use it to get the .json file for each aircraft texture. Do I jus use the layout generated by the layour generator tool and copy each .json file for each texture and replace the info in my repaint's texture folder?

Thanks,
    Cazzie

Those json's include texture properties. Can you copy a set of them from the stock paint into your texture folder?
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 0