Serious Problem with 42B

Thread: Serious Problem with 42B

Serious Problem with 42B

Below are screenshots of an area I'm working on. I was almost finished with this airport (42B Goodspeed/East Haddam, Ct). Everything had gone well, I was placing a few last minute buildings. . .I saved what I had and closed the Sim. When I loaded the airport again I was greeted with a royal mess. The water had taken over areas above and below the area of the Airport. Shorelines and roads remained, but as you can see, the textures are missing. The only area affected is QMID (L=14 U=3663, V=2206). The airport sits in the lower right quadrant of that cell.

I am running Orbx Global Basic, Global Vector and OpenLC North America. The shots below are with my scenery removed. I was hoping that by just loading the default airport I might see where the problem was, but it shows the same loss of terrain. I tried "verifying" all the Orbx installations, ran the option to "Sync Simulator" and replaced the terrain.cfg file in the FSX main folder with an original backup. All to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Error-2020-dec-7-002 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Error-2020-dec-7-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Could the lclookup.bgl be corrupted? I had a problem after an Orbx update that turned the water to desert and airport elevations to below ground level.
    I replaced the terrain cfg and lclookup.bgl from another installation of FSX. The lookup.bgl can be found Microsoft Flight Simulator/Scenery/Base/Scenery folder.
    Good luck.

Did you create your own shoreline for the airfield or were you making you airfield fit the existing Orbx install ? This is a bit advanced for me, but unless you've accidentally removed or deleted the area's bgl's, which im guessing you did'nt, it looks like a scenery priority issue in the scenery library. Also, have you any rouge Airfield, ALT.bgl's in your Scenery/World/scenery folder ? ( that always catch's me out)

Like i said, your probably more experienced than me, but im just throwing a few things out there, good luck

Ed,

I'm not sure if this will help. I have Orbx Basic, Vector, and Landclass installed just like you. I also have the Orbx freeware airport package installed.

Here's a screenshot of 42B from my FSX setup, showing that there's some serious problems in the area, with a forest in the middle of the river and other oddities. Turning the Orbx freeware airport (FTX_ZZ_GLOBAL_AIRPORTS) scenery layer off fixes those problems. I tried turning off all my Orbx products, but couldn't replicate the coastline issue you're seeing.

Do you have the freeware airports package installed? 42B obviously received some sort of landclass or coastline treatment in that package. Perhaps that's causing your issue?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 42B ORBX Freeware.jpg  
    America never stopped being great.

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Did you create your own shoreline for the airfield or were you making you airfield fit the existing Orbx install ? This is a bit advanced for me, but unless you've accidentally removed or deleted the area's bgl's, which im guessing you didn't, it looks like a scenery priority issue in the scenery library. Also, have you any rouge Airfield, ALT.bgl's in your Scenery/World/scenery folder ? ( that always catch's me out)

Like i said, your probably more experienced than me, but I'm just throwing a few things out there, good luck
    Ian, you da Man, lol. Your suggestion about rogue ALT files reminded me of something. I tried to install an old FS9 Scenery (Flight_Zone01_Rhode Island) and it failed, however part of that installation was to place 6 elevation adjustment files in the Scenery/NAME/scenery folder. I uninstalled the errant scenery when it failed to work and thought I had gotten everything (even checking the registry). When I removed those files and loaded the 42B scenery again. . .everything was back the way it should be. YES!! lol, thanks for that suggestion Ian!!

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    Ed,

I'm not sure if this will help. I have Orbx Basic, Vector, and Landclass installed just like you. I also have the Orbx freeware airport package installed.

Here's a screenshot of 42B from my FSX setup, showing that there's some serious problems in the area, with a forest in the middle of the river and other oddities. Turning the Orbx freeware airport (FTX_ZZ_GLOBAL_AIRPORTS) scenery layer off fixes those problems. I tried turning off all my Orbx products, but couldn't replicate the coastline issue you're seeing.

Do you have the freeware airports package installed? 42B obviously received some sort of landclass or coastline treatment in that package. Perhaps that's causing your issue?
    Yes I do have the Freeware Airports installed, but I went into the Orbx folder and deleted all files connected to 42B, that cleared all that up.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Yes I do have the Freeware Airports installed, but I went into the Orbx folder and deleted all files connected to 42B, that cleared all that up.
    Actually it did not clear it up, lol. I have removed everything in Orbx that references 42B, yet the trees and buildings in the river between the boundaries of the airport scenery remain. Above and below that area are fine.

Current System Specs:

SOH-CM-2023
    Ed, Check that you have the frozen lakes option off in Orbx. It does funky things no matter the season you are running
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Ed, Check that you have the frozen lakes option off in Orbx. It does funky things no matter the season you are running
    Thanks for that Brian, that was it. . .finally back to normal, but what a hassle!

Current System Specs:

I never knew the frozen lakes selection caused problems. I'll make the change now. Thanks, everyone!
    America never stopped being great.

UPDATE:
    According to Wikipedia, Goodspeed was just purchased from the original owner and the new owners are planning several changes, with more at a later date. Initially they want to make AvGas available again and add previously permitted Seaplane Docks. Future upgrades include a Maintenance Facility and Flight School.

So with that information I am going to include a Fuel area and Seaplane Dock before I release this "long winded" project, lol. Hopefully this weekend.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0