There's a new Dragon in the skys [Released to SOH 18 Sep 21] - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: There's a new Dragon in the skys [Released to SOH 18 Sep 21]

This is brilliant, I tried porting it over but couldn't get the engines started and the textures were hit n miss too, can't wait.

jk9216

jk9218

jk9220

jk9224

I think I need to figure out how to edit those .COMP files...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    jk9216
    I think I need to figure out how to edit those .COMP files...
    In PSP (and sure in Adobe) you have a function to split a texture into 3 separate colour channels. (Red, Green, Blue) which you can combine again.

Red - Ambient Occlusion
    Green - Roughness
    Blue- Metalness

Sometimes it's easier to just adjust the colours itselve.

Marcel

Blog Entries
    As always, the skiills and talents of the people here surpass my own to such an extent to not even be funny.. Incredible worksmanship by all.. My Hat is off too you..

Thanks Dave and Pam for bringing one of my favorite aircraft into 2020. Now it's just a question of deciding on the right pc and getting it built!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Any news about this project?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm not happy with the overall quality of the model and don't think it's up to standard people are looking for in this sim, so I don't feel comfortable releasing it.

disappointing but understandable, given the nature of some in the community who seem to feel overly proud of, and entitled to, their own questionable opinions...no matter how crude or uninformed they are.

The DH Dragon Rapide is an iconic airplane and deserves proper representation. This one looks to be that to my eye but the artist always has the last word on his own work.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

SOH-CM-2024

Danke!

Oh happy day!

Cazzie

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    I'm not happy with the overall quality of the model and don't think it's up to standard people are looking for in this sim, so I don't feel comfortable releasing it.
    Hi Dave!

SOME of us would LOVE to see the plane, even if it's not fully MSFS-level in detail. I saw what colossal jerks people were to the nice folks at GAS with their release, so I understand the concern.

However, I think if you released it with a clear caveat in the description and readme as to the plane's origins, all but the biggest jerks will know what they're getting into and will be polite, and hopefully the rivet counters will just go download something else. Something like:

NOTE: This is a native MSFS rework of an aircraft originally released for Flight Simulator X. Although the flight model, instruments, and other aspects have been updated for the new sim, some elements have a lower level of detail due to the nature of the rework. This release is not designed to show off the full capabilities of MSFS, but rather to afford the opportunity to fly a historic aircraft in the sim in a timeframe that wouldn't be possible if it was rebuilt completely from scratch. We hope you enjoy the chance to experience flying the Dragon Rapide.

Please spend the time you'd have used on nitpicking textures and polygons doing something to brighten someone's day instead.
    (Feel free to steal any of that, of course. Though I would definitely leave off my annoyed second paragraph.

Or maybe release it as $5 donationware for Sim-Outhouse users, so this limited group of historical airplane buffs can enjoy it, at least, even if it doesn't go wide?

I'd love to see it, and I think it looks great from the images you've shared.

My original Rapide was built for FS9 back in 2004/5, so although it's been much improved over the years it's definitely showing it's age! Any release would probably be only here and CBFSim to keep it low key. I need to sort out a few issues that have appeared since SU5 as well. I'm away next week, but I'll look into it when I return.

Dave, it probably won't surprise you to hear that your venerable Rapide is the aircraft I have been hoping to get for this new platform.

I had been away from simming for a couple of years and only got MSFS in February so missed your original announcement and beta test, but as soon as I found out she was in the works for a native conversion I have been checking CBFSim every week for further news.

While your concerns are perfectly understandable, I think the suggestion of a limited release to CBFSim and SOH is a good one. We are all enthusiasts for these types here (and there) and I'm sure I speak for many when I say the Rapide for MSFS would be hugely appreciated even considering she was originated from older materials.

Personally, from the shots I've seen I think she looks superb in MSFS and hope you do decide on a release even if it is only supplying those interested with a download link.

It would be a shame for the dragon not to grace the skies.

Dave,

I think the Dragon looks fantastic! I did several paints for the FS9 one. You could just release it quietly here in the Outhouse. We all appreciate the work you put into it. Besides, a limited release would limit potential naysayers.

Mike

Thank you for reply, on pictures it looks good so perhaps a problem is for coding and FM? I fully understand the decision however my fingers are crossed for this project …. Maybe one day it will be finished ?! TY.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Dave, I understand your being hesitant to bring such an 'old' model, but I for one would still welcome an updated version. As you can see in my earlier shots, I do fly it in MFS, and I much prefer it over most of the default aircraft, some of which I have never even tried, because they don't appeal to me at all.
    In fact, my biggest disappointment with MFS was the complete lack of any interesting default aircraft...but that's just me I suppose.

jk9148 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

BTW, I enjoy your Mosquito very much as well!
    jk4275 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Just a quick HU, I've just uploaded the Rapide to the library here. Should be available soon.

Wonderful Dave! Thanks. Just downloaded it. Time to install and check it out.

Mike

Just a quick HU, I've just uploaded the Rapide to the library here. Should be available soon.
    Really? Wow. Great news from this morning!
    Direct link:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-Dragon-Rapide
    Last edited by YoYo; September 18th, 2021 at 22:36.

wonderful! some pics of my first flight:
    jk7652 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7663 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7668 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7671 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

one minor item: it could not shut it down, switching off the magneto's had no effect?

Wow!, fantastic pics Jankees

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post

one minor item: it could not shut it down, switching off the magneto's had no effect?
    Great pics Jankees.
    I'm annoyed about the magnetos. They use default Asobo templates, so they should work fine, and I know they were working prior to SU5. I think Asobo has changed the code somewhere, but digging through the layers of templates and sub-templates makes my head spin I've reverted the code to avoid the templates for now, so I'll upload a fix shortly.

edit: I've updated the original upload to include the mag fix, but if you don't want to re-download the whole package, you can get the fix here: https://daveg.cbfsim.org/files/MSFS_Rapide_mag-fix.zip

Hi Dave,

Thank you for this funny plane, never flown it before yet joy to fly in the circuit.

One thing i noticed (not very familiar with this aircraft) that the idle-power is very high, without the brakes she begins to roll and also after landing she still want to fly and not stop easy.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Blog Entries
    Thank you very much Dave

Great news! I've added a quick edit to Pamela's original post with a link to the download page and this thread is now stuck!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 4