P3dv5 - flying boats and amphibians - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: P3dv5 - flying boats and amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    I roughly converted the old Alphasim Martin Mars from FS9 for v4 and put a more recent livery on it.

Attachment 82827
    Looks promising Scorch!

A couple more in P3Dv5.

Love to see a proper update for the SeaBee but doubt that will ever happen!

The Alphasim G111 is another welcome surprise, while the HU16 works as well, even if the colours look a little washed out.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    A couple more in P3Dv5.

Love to see a proper update for the SeaBee but doubt that will ever happen!

How well does the SeaBee work in P3Dv5? Is it worth purchasing it?

Thanks.

Don
    Version: P3Dv5.4 HF2, CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.3 GHz with HT on, GPU: RTX 3080 12GB, RAM: 32GB DDR-5, MONITOR: 32" 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.

Well the Grumman Group is now very well represented. Took me ages to find where I had hidden the Alabatross and put it back into the sim. In the same hidey hole was the OZX Goose Redux. Also a goer now in P3DV5.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    I forgot the Sunderlands, they are very well done. Only issue I had was the MK1 model will not display.

Hi BendyFlyer,

I read part of the post below:

WIP - A small team (From SOH members) is rebuilding and converting JBK's Sandringham, My Sunderland conversion of the Hythe, and then the Solent 3 and 4. The Scythe and Calcutta to be looked at as well much later on. The models have to be converted, panels and gauges updated etc to work with P3DV5 so a lot of work but it is happening.

I am a huge fan of Sunderlands and basically everything that Short built. I was wondering what the progress was and if any are available to download.

Thanks,

Jonno

Jonno - We have done a basic conversion of the Solent 3 and 4 and the Sandringham and the MK V Sunderland The Sunderland was an older FSX conversion of the JBK Hythe to a MK V (RNZAF). The work we did was rudimentary in some aspects. I will talk to the others involved and we should be able to release these, particularly the Sandringham not sure about the Sunderland. The Sunderland I reworked in FSX is very specifically a MKV as used by the Kiwis. There was the other marks of the Sunderland done (the pictures you posted) also by Lazarus which is available on SimAviation and yes I did get the MK 1 to work. I would like to do more with the Sunderland but Lazarus released that great package of the earlier and WW2 Sunderlands - so we sort of put it on the backburner for awhile.

I thought the Solents need a lot more work which is why they were not released either.

We also tidied up the Shorts S23 from my FSX rebuild (the FSX is also available in the SOH Library) to sort out the issues. Lazrus did these as well and released them so we did not proceed further except for our own use. But my VC's or panels ported across into the Lazarus version without any issues.

The conversion work is not easy because these models never had interior models which P3D demands, and then there is the guage work which has to be 64 bit compliant as well. Lights and lighting for all of them is still a problem and not easily solved without a huge amount of work.

Lazrazus has many changes to a lot of these JBK flying boats which have been released on SimAviation as well - the S5 and S8 and S23. Lazarus has also tackled the issue of flying boats and amphitbians and the issue of contact points and getting the flying boats to properly get up on the step and plane (he has provided extensive notes on this in one of the releases of his modified for P3D versions) They do plane properly I have to admit but I prefer my S23 because the original work fixed up the various differences between the various Marks of the S23 with respect to fuel tanks, instrumentation etc so they were authentic as possible to the originals when they flew.

So they did all progress well and some could be released I will talk to the others and see if they want to finish off a few things! COVID and other projects has got in the way. Some of us having been doing some work for some payware folk -minor but more contributing to the finishing work)

I had forgotten what a great job Virtavia did with the Albatross (but the VC could really have done with a lot more stuff that worked but the graphics were first class). Still a fascinating flying boat to get about in!

Jonno - We have done a basic conversion of the Solent 3 and 4 and the Sandringham and the MK V Sunderland The Sunderland was an older FSX conversion of the JBK Hythe to a MK V (RNZAF). The work we did was rudimentary in some aspects. I will talk to the others involved and we should be able to release these, particularly the Sandringham not sure about the Sunderland. The Sunderland I reworked in FSX is very specifically a MKV as used by the Kiwis. There was the other marks of the Sunderland done (the pictures you posted) also by Lazarus which is available on SimAviation and yes I did get the MK 1 to work. I would like to do more with the Sunderland but Lazarus released that great package of the earlier and WW2 Sunderlands - so we sort of put it on the backburner for awhile.

I thought the Solents need a lot more work which is why they were not released either.

We also tidied up the Shorts S23 from my FSX rebuild (the FSX is also available in the SOH Library) to sort out the issues. Lazrus did these as well and released them so we did not proceed further except for our own use. But my VC's or panels ported across into the Lazarus version without any issues.

The conversion work is not easy because these models never had interior models which P3D demands, and then there is the guage work which has to be 64 bit compliant as well. Lights and lighting for all of them is still a problem and not easily solved without a huge amount of work.

Lazrazus has many changes to a lot of these JBK flying boats which have been released on SimAviation as well - the S5 and S8 and S23. Lazarus has also tackled the issue of flying boats and amphitbians and the issue of contact points and getting the flying boats to properly get up on the step and plane (he has provided extensive notes on this in one of the releases of his modified for P3D versions) They do plane properly I have to admit but I prefer my S23 because the original work fixed up the various differences between the various Marks of the S23 with respect to fuel tanks, instrumentation etc so they were authentic as possible to the originals when they flew.

So they did all progress well and some could be released I will talk to the others and see if they want to finish off a few things! COVID and other projects has got in the way. Some of us having been doing some work for some payware folk -minor but more contributing to the finishing work)
    Hi BendyFlyer,

The weird thing is, I am unable to find them in the P3D section, only under the FSX -> Vintage section. Or are these the ones you are mentioning above, uploaded by: Goto Dengo, Kuhlmittel and uploader?

Nevertheless, no matter how limited you are in time, please note that the work you and fellow developers put in is much appreciated! Flying boats are really a niche and it is nice to know that people still pay attention to them.

Thanks,

Jonno

Johnnycolt - the S23's are in the FSX section. There are two packages Part 1 and Part 2. (I included my flying boat scenery as well but not a lot of the libraries - see the notes on where to find them). They work without any issue in P3DV5 but there is no addon xml for them. If you want I can make one up for you and post it here if you need it. These two packages cover all the Marks of the S23, basically the changes were in the tanks fitted and it was almost the case that each one produced got a slightly different tank system. The S30 is the same hull but different engines that is all. There are two critical mods a flap warning system and cabin-crew intercom alert system which all the S23's had. The sound package that comes with these is of genuine Pegasus engine sounds that I reworked for to allow for 4 engines - it is distinctively different to your standard pratt and whiiney radial sound. There is detailed documentation included for those interest including how to fly a flying boat on the water and generally. This information is based upon original source documents from the UK and elsewhere (including some pilot accounts) of how to handle and fly these aeroplanes. I will confess the S23 is my favourite aeroplane - its performance is remarkable it is basically STOL which is impressive given it is a big heavy 4 engine flying boat. Shorts knew how to design and build flying boats better than anyone actually!

Here are the links for the S23:
    SHORT S23 UPGRADE PACKAGE PART 1.zip (sim-outhouse.com)
    SHORT S23 UPGRADE PACKAGE PART 2.zip (sim-outhouse.com)

The Lazrus's version (at SimAviation) - this retained the original JBK interior and panels etc and cover none of my mods. No reason if you want to alias across my panels into these but the config files are very different due to Lazaruses mods they do not cover the tanks engine power and other little things. They fly the same basically!. If you do a search at Simaviation.com in P3D using the term Sunderland it will bring up Lazarus's Solents, Sandringham, and Sunderland packages - you want the ones marked FSX/P3D not the earlier ones. These all retain the earlier JBK panels and gauges. The solent was always very accurate so there is no need to alter it the Sandringham was not which is why I redid and used the Anseet Sandringham Beachcomber as the guide on the panel which is different. I will release this one because it is good to go.

If you do a search of the same site using the term Shorts it will bring those ones up and the Hythe, S23 and the Singapore. These are all Lazrus versions. I think Lazarus has nailed the planing take off issue correctly but there are issues with the model (the throttles are mismatched in the core model so 1 is 2 2is 3 and 3 is 1 if you get my drift - we fixed this but have not released it. There is a panel mod for it in the Other - look for Short S8 modified in the Warbirds Libaray FSX Other.

I will work on a Sandringham release ( I will talk to Lazarus see if we can do a blend of his and mine) keep you posted in due course. And the same for the Sunderland MKV which as some extra paint jobs in it now (French Aeronavale and RAF.

Johnnycolt - the S23's are in the FSX section. There are two packages Part 1 and Part 2. (I included my flying boat scenery as well but not a lot of the libraries - see the notes on where to find them). They work without any issue in P3DV5 but there is no addon xml for them. If you want I can make one up for you and post it here if you need it. These two packages cover all the Marks of the S23, basically the changes were in the tanks fitted and it was almost the case that each one produced got a slightly different tank system. The S30 is the same hull but different engines that is all. There are two critical mods a flap warning system and cabin-crew intercom alert system which all the S23's had. The sound package that comes with these is of genuine Pegasus engine sounds that I reworked for to allow for 4 engines - it is distinctively different to your standard pratt and whiiney radial sound. There is detailed documentation included for those interest including how to fly a flying boat on the water and generally. This information is based upon original source documents from the UK and elsewhere (including some pilot accounts) of how to handle and fly these aeroplanes. I will confess the S23 is my favourite aeroplane - its performance is remarkable it is basically STOL which is impressive given it is a big heavy 4 engine flying boat. Shorts knew how to design and build flying boats better than anyone actually!

Here are the links for the S23:
    SHORT S23 UPGRADE PACKAGE PART 1.zip (sim-outhouse.com)
    SHORT S23 UPGRADE PACKAGE PART 2.zip (sim-outhouse.com)

The Lazrus's version (at SimAviation) - this retained the original JBK interior and panels etc and cover none of my mods. No reason if you want to alias across my panels into these but the config files are very different due to Lazaruses mods they do not cover the tanks engine power and other little things. They fly the same basically!. If you do a search at Simaviation.com in P3D using the term Sunderland it will bring up Lazarus's Solents, Sandringham, and Sunderland packages - you want the ones marked FSX/P3D not the earlier ones. These all retain the earlier JBK panels and gauges. The solent was always very accurate so there is no need to alter it the Sandringham was not which is why I redid and used the Anseet Sandringham Beachcomber as the guide on the panel which is different. I will release this one because it is good to go.

If you do a search of the same site using the term Shorts it will bring those ones up and the Hythe, S23 and the Singapore. These are all Lazrus versions. I think Lazarus has nailed the planing take off issue correctly but there are issues with the model (the throttles are mismatched in the core model so 1 is 2 2is 3 and 3 is 1 if you get my drift - we fixed this but have not released it. There is a panel mod for it in the Other - look for Short S8 modified in the Warbirds Libaray FSX Other.

I will work on a Sandringham release ( I will talk to Lazarus see if we can do a blend of his and mine) keep you posted in due course. And the same for the Sunderland MKV which as some extra paint jobs in it now (French Aeronavale and RAF.
    Hi Bendyflyer,

Awesome work on the S.23! Really like the mods you put in. Great sounds too.

I would also love to fly the Sandringham. Watched the YouTube video again the other day on the Lord Howe line.

Looking forward to the release of both the Sunderland and Sandringham.

Thanks again!

Jonno

A bit breezy in the lagoon at Aitutaki Kiribati this morning - JBK's Solent in P3DV5.2

The finished conversion of the JBK Sunderland for P3DV5.2 has been uploaded to the SOH Library for those interested!.

IF you have FSL Spotlight (highly recommended) this will improve the ambiance and night lighting for the Shorts Flying Boats. Uploaded to the library an FSL Spotlights INI for the Shorts Flying Boats. Add-Ons Library - P3D / P4D Add-Ons - Gauges and panels - SOH Forum (sim-outhouse.com)

VC

Radio Operator Navigator Postion

The upgraded and updated for P3DV5 - JBK Short Sandringham has been uploaded to the libary and is now available for those interested. There is a new sound package based on the P&W 1830 engines, FSL Spotlight lighting and modified air and config to represent the P&W powered Sandringham. The VC and gauges are remodelled and rebuilt and represent the VC or cockpit as it was when Ansett operated the Sandringham.

P3DV% and NVIDIA Wave Motion

Don Muskopf had a tip some time ago about AcuFeel messing up the waves in P3D. Accufeel used to be fine in this regard in FSX but I completely overlooked this and have been struggling for some time with the on water behaviour of all the flying boats and amphibians. It seemed to me that once you used real time weather injection there was a scalar magnifying the wave motion and its impact forces not to mention water drag on the hull.

So this is a DUH moment. I finally went over my notes and checked AcuFeel, because having it installed in the sim as an addon it was automatically setting wave motion etc without me being aware of it. So now it is turned off for all amphibians, floaters and flying boats and the change is remarkable, no more pounding through maginfied swells and seas!

So the fix or switch in the contact points section of the aircraft config of using either:

//always_use_avg_surface=1
    or
    //ignore_waves=1

is no longer required and I can safely edit them out and let P3D do its stuff. AS is a bonus here because you can get a quick real time wind report where you are (or what it is injecting into the sim) so you can easily see now if your going to go flying or not and the wave conditions now seem to mirror that better. I have still yet to see a perfectly calm see but it is ok!.

Oh another little thing about P3DV5 I discovered by chance. If you have a common or effects in an addon when the sim loads it reads these effects files into memory before it goes to the main effects folder and use the effects it has not already loaded. This turned up when I spent a day chasing a dodgy wake effect (you know the vertical to the sky syndrome) to find out that the only thing I had changed was a new addon and buried in that addons effects folder were a couple of fx wake files, corrupted it would seem. I deleted them and the sim and the effects have returned to normal. A useful tip if your looking for something amiss in this area.

The old Alphasim Martin Mars is coming along.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mars2.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	84327

Name:	marspbr.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	84328

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Excellent news there Scorch re the Martin Mars.

P3D Anchor Guage

Here is a clever little guage for those who use things that float on water. By True North and freeware (look for TruNorthSim_Anchor_Guage.zip at Simaviation - P3D files section) quote -"The purpose of this addon is to all the user to lock the aircraft's latitude and longitude acting as an 'anchor'. It is useful for keeping float planes from drifting when parked on a lake or river. You may find it useful for other applications as well."

No visual of mooring lines or anything like that but it works by putting on the park brake. Anhors up park brake off. Neat. Note - may conflict with the JBK Sunderland as that model uses the brake on/off to open shut the front turret.
    TruNorthSim_Anchor_Gauge.zip

TruNorthSim_Anchor_Gauge.zip

oTruNorthSim_Anchor_Gauge.zip

rthSim_Anchor_Gauge.zip

The Mighty Mars

Name:	marsnavy.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	615.5 KB 
ID:	84829

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Updated Flying Boat Base Package

I have uploaded and updated flying boat base package into the SOH Library under P3D Addons Scenery.

Members who have read this thread: 6