An unusual one...................

Thread: An unusual one...................

An unusual one...................

Just saw this for sale over at Simmarket a CAPRONI-VIZZOLA C-22J VENTURA

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 245332_C22J_12.jpg  

At first glance I assumed it was a sail plane. I couldn't see any intake or exhaust and the wings gave it a look of that type airplane. Now that I've checked it out and realize it's by Mario Noriega (builder of a plethora of great freeware airplanes), I'm onboard with this little jet. He's really outdone himself as the texturing, especially in the VC is superb. I'll have to wait a bit to get it, but get it I will.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Unusual, indeed! I've never even heard of the Ventura. Mario's model looks nice, it sounds like a well designed add-on, and I love the fact that there's (apparently) choices for pilot and passenger models that are visible from within the VC. I'm in! Be right back...

...aaaand, I'm back! It was an easy purchase as always through SimMarket. Installation requires inputting your product code found on the SimMarket product download page. The package found my FSX:SE directory and installed everything in the SimObjects folder.

The package includes the aircraft and documentation. There's two manuals: a full AOM and an abbreviated Quick Start guide. Also included is a configuration file for FSUIPC. I didn't fiddle with that, but based on my first flight observations, I might give it a go later. I didn't find a paint kit, unfortunately.

I ran through the quick start guide and found it sufficient to complete my first flight. There's a few peculiarities in the systems, but the in-sim checklist (available by either pressing the checklist icon or <SHFT+4>) makes it easy to get the Ventura running. She's very stable in the air and on the ground. The controls are firm but very responsive. With two crew and a full main tank, she climbs at almost 2,000 fpm at 157 KIAS (the published Vy). She reached 250 KIAS at 7,500 feet (about 287 KTAS). Aerobatics are a breeze and require small, precise control inputs. She accelerates slowly in level flight but will burn right through the barber pole in a dive. She decelerates quickly at idle and very quickly using the speedbrakes. There's very little trim change when extending the flaps and landing gear. Note that takeoffs and landings are accomplished with full flaps, and landings are accomplished with the speedbrakes fully extended.

She's very trim intensive: with two crew aboard you'll takeoff with the trim full nose up and hit full nose down trim by the time you reach Vno. But, like the primary controls, the trim is responsive. The only time this becomes an issue is during landing as the trim changes dramatically as airspeed decreases in the flare. It's easy to get her porpoising.

Beyond being a great flyer, the Ventura looks really nice. Mario included a nice combination of paint schemes, all with Italian registrations. The VC is very nice, with crisp textures and modelling. Each seat can display either a male or female passenger Selection of passengers is controlled by the payload weight: weights from 80 to 136 pounds will display the female crewmember while payloads of 137 pounds and greater will display the male crewmember. Each seat has its own combination of nicely rendered 3D figures (bearded dude and blonde girl as pilots, dude in a vest and long-haired brunette as passengers).

I do have a few minor negative observations. The interior sounds are a little "tinny" but adequate. The exterior sounds consist solely of a high pitch "whooshing" whistle, and definitely leave something to be desired.

There is no autopilot. I know it's not realistic for this aircraft, but I always appreciate having an autopilot in FSX, even as a pop-up window. I think of it as giving the controls to the other pilot for a little while! The good news? The Ventura has pretty short legs, so you won't be hand flying for long!

And for those who aren't used to steam gauges and ye olden VOR/ADF navigation, the basic FSX GPS is available as a pop-up.

Overall a fantastic purchase, especially for $11.84.
    Last edited by nagpaw; November 19th, 2020 at 12:53. Reason: Removed comment about avionics power. It was a one-time glitch!
    America never stopped being great.

Members who have read this thread: 0