Boeing B314 "Clipper" released - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Boeing B314 "Clipper" released

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Please make them available YoYo!

cheers,
    steve

I think I discovered another bug:
    Was trying to transfer fuel and as soon as I selected Port Outboard on the hydrostab tank distribution, the portside wing tanks zeroed out and wouldn't take fuel, resulting in engine starvation. (Though using the hand pump would pull a gallon or two about every couple seconds, I couldn't confirm the fuel going to any tank)
    I moved the distrib to the starboard hydro tanks and the same thing happened with the starboard wing tanks.
    Also, I have no idea if the transfer pumps are working at all, whether this is due to PEBKAC and me breaking the study level pumps or something else within the panel coding. I do wish that for all the other details, there was a little more info on how to actually to a fuel transfer, as the manual only has some lines about venting excess fuel.

YoYo, how are you consulting with Stefan, is it via email or another forum I haven't discovered yet?
    Honestly, if the fuel transfer thing is a bug and its solved, and the gyropilot is fixed, I think its all set.

EDIT: Also, just spotted a little error in the 3d model. It's atop the cockpit shell in the external view looking from the forward half of the plane (looking at the front,) looks like a panel sticking out of the model.
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Quote Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
    Please make them available YoYo!

cheers,
    steve
    For sure. Not finished yet but it will be for all.

Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    I think I discovered another bug:
    YoYo, how are you consulting with Stefan, is it via email or another forum I haven't discovered yet?
    Honestly, if the fuel transfer thing is a bug and its solved, and the gyropilot is fixed, I think its all set.

EDIT: Also, just spotted a little error in the 3d model. It's atop the cockpit shell in the external view looking from the forward half of the plane (looking at the front,) looks like a panel sticking out of the model.
    Only via email. Till now no dedicated Forum but they think about it. Thx for this notice, You have right, I didnt noticed it before. It only visible in certain conditions:

Reported.
    Last edited by YoYo; November 2nd, 2020 at 23:15.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I think I ....
    How do you start the engines from C&D situation? I have a problem still to start engines. Used checklist from pdf Modern Startup Cheat Sheet. VC only.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    How do you start the engines from C&D situation? I have a problem still to start engines. Used checklist from pdf Modern Startup Cheat Sheet. VC only.
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by gaab View Post
    Same here
    Alright so I use mostly the 2D panels to start the plane, I just don't have quick hands so I just have things set up
    On load in ensure parking brake is on (as I think thats how we can use shore power)

[SH+2] pull up shore power and master battery plungers, close panel
    hit Alt and go to aircraft>instrument panel> simicons
    there is no combination for the hand pumps panel so you have to use simicons to get that specific panel.
    [SH+5] Open cowl flaps fully and gang mixtures to full rich. Engage locking bar under mixtures. crack throttle
    [SH+6] Set up fuel selectors for normal operations (port 1+2, 1+2, Stb 3+4, 3+4, hydro distrib OFF, port tank refuel)
    At this point, you should have everything set up to start, so I pull up:
    [SH+1] for the starter buttons and the mags on the top
    and the FlEng hand pumps panel from simicons

Master Mag ON
    engine 1 mags BOTH
    right click starter, then red booster button, quick down to prime 1, then right click the FAR RIGHT hand pump, the engine should catch in a few seconds
    It's all right clicks so at least there's that. Hardest part is if you misclick and end up with the tiny menu popup getting in the way of your startup sequence, but I've only burned up one starter doing that
    Start sequence is 1-4-2-3 for me, thats how I do it.

Once engines are running:
    [SH+5] to bring up FlEng panel and on the far left turn up the generator dials until the needles are more or less sticking straight up.
    Monitor OIL IN temps and once they reach 60, engage water rudder and disable shore power, you're ready to taxi

There's a few other steps that I'm probably missing, uncaging certain instruments or whatever, but thats how I get the engines running

Alright so I use mostly the 2D panels to start the plane:
    That's exactly what is described in "Modern Startup Cheat Sheet".

The issue looks like 2D panel action and VC actions don't always behave the same

Let's wait the next update...

Gérard

Alright so ....
    Thx, the problem is that I dont use any 2D panel (why in 2020? Its fashion from FS2004 ; ) ). However, I tried 2D and it didn't work out either.
    When I push the starter switch and after this on rotation start: booster switch the inertia of the motor's start is very short (1 sec?), so finally I cant start to run engine and cant do next steps (primer, hand pump ect).
    I'll check your procedures again on 2D panels but I hate any kind of 2D panels .

Thx, the problem is that I dont use any 2D panel (why in 2020? Its fashion from FS2004 ; ) ). However, I tried 2D and it didn't work out either.
    When I push the starter switch and after this on rotation start: booster switch the inertia of the motor's start is very short (1 sec?), so finally I cant start to run engine and cant do next steps (primer, hand pump ect).
    I'll check your procedures again on 2D panels but I hate any kind of 2D panels .
    Aye, I dont like them either but unless I shuffle the VC views to hop right from the left seat to the FlEngs I'll kill the starters. The big thing is to right click everything, as that will hold the buttons down. They'll let go automatically when the engine starts

hit Alt and go to aircraft>instrument panel> simicons
    Bingo! It was this!

Using "simicons" and this 2D table with handpump (I didn't know before that there is such a panel because it cannot be accessed from Shift + 1 to 9) I started 1-4 engines without any problem so.... it looks like is a bug in 3D panels. I play only VR so I use only 3D environment, no any 2D panels. I hope it will be fixed, it's very important. Looks like the period of pushing something on engineer table is too short maybe. In real life the start sequance was for 4 hands. In sim its impossible so they must to extend the time to jump to the engineer's table I suppose but I'm glad it finally happened!

Take off.
    Hmm - the plane need too much power for this. Looks like engines are underpowered for take off stage. I setup propeller lever and throttle on the edge of final yellow arc and I swim like a boat, no any increasing acceleration, 5 minutes without changes. My engines were already boiling. Only on max, 100% of everything (red circle and many more above the required temperatures on IN and OUT gauges) I started to accelerate. Too much power for this. I didn't check the weight, maybe this (but didnt touched it). Its possible to improve in patch for example. It will be good also that from pilot position I could use swich to increase or decrease prop level (this one switch on throttle for 4 engines). Now its impossible. Only 4 switches from engineer office. It will be also nice to see axis for mixture (not mouse only) to use your physical lever.

Short flight.
    After few minutes my airspeed start to show 0 speed. I was thinking they were clouds and poor condition but when I used pitot heat nothing was changed. I noticed also no yellow lamp when I operated flaps. I noticed that on radio operator office they're there two knobs for generator. I turned on and airspeed shows again but flaps go down only (like on the picture, no possibility of lifting up, maybe the hydraulic system failed?).

It looks I still have a lot to learn .
    You need to have some patience but it will be a great addon in the end Im sure.
    I see a lot of fun here.

Bingo! It was this!
    it looks like is a bug in 3D panels.

Looks like the period of pushing something on engineer table is too short maybe.
    I think so : on a lot of actions, you can see that 2D panels and VC have synchronisation issues.
    Few examples :
    - the "Potentiometer-pyrometer" : impossible "to align it with zero" on the VC unless doing it once on 2D panel.
    - the cowl flaps on external view are partially open on start while the levers are on full close
    - the PCT "propeller pitch" is not existing in VC

If you "spy" the MIXTURE variable, you will notice that it is set to 100% on 2D panel when "hand pump" click.
    This does not happen on the VC "hand pump"...
    Take off.
    On page 44 of the Manual Part 2 - The simulator - copy of the FOM, it is written (my summary ):
    - elevator trim to 0
    - NO flaps before 50 kts
    - 20 degrees flaps after
    - "easy" take off at 70 kts about... with moderate pulling back of yoke.
    You can stay in the yellow area, then progressively props to 1900 RPM, and throttle below 35 MP

In level cruise, turn back throttle to 29 MP
    It will be good also that from pilot position I could use swich to increase or decrease prop level (this one switch on throttle for 4 engines). Now its impossible. Only 4 switches from engineer office.
    Agreed !
    Short flight.
    Don't forget to switch the Autosyn switch to Alternator and to tune the Generators to 14.5 volts before takeOff.
    Should fix your problems...
    You need to have some patience but it will be a great addon in the end Im sure.
    I see a lot of fun here.
    YES - I love that bird - just needs some fixes...

Gérard

On page 44 of the Manual Part 2 - The simulator - copy of the FOM, it is written (my summary ):
    - elevator trim to 0
    - NO flaps before 50 kts
    - 20 degrees flaps after
    - "easy" take off at 70 kts about... with moderate pulling back of yoke.
    You can stay in the yellow area, then progressively props to 1900 RPM, and throttle below 35 MP
    Aha, the flap movement speed is so slow I just start with them down, thankfully haven't broken anything yet! I'll have to try that. Whats your MAP setting for takeoff power? I'll run to about 40" and I unstick in a pretty reasonable span of time

Thx for this:

Don't forget to switch the Autosyn switch to Alternator and to tune the Generators to 14.5 volts before takeOff.
    Should fix your problems...
    I checked manual, it looks like here is proper setup:

I did it from my Cold and dark. Engines are running, battery only and I noticed - No electric (so flaps doesnt work and no ATC).

Dynamotor was switched to off before I set generators to 14V. Any idea? P3D reports "no electric" on ATC window.

btw. Someone has diagram of engines settings maybe for each stage of flight? From real handbook B314 maybe?
    Last edited by YoYo; November 4th, 2020 at 02:50.

I did it from my Cold and dark. Engines are running, battery only and I noticed - No electric (so flaps doesnt work and no ATC).
    Works for me, using the B314 Horta Cold and Dark fligh, I have ATC and flaps OK ???
    Even switching off battery, when engines are running, ATC is active after a very short "no electric" message.

Looks like battery is only useful during engine start up !

Gérard

Engines are running, battery only and I noticed - No electric (so flaps doesnt work and no ATC).

Dynamotor was switched to off before I set generators to 14V. Any idea? P3D reports "no electric" on ATC window.
    On the back wall, or Shift 7 I believe, there is a small panel with the water gauge, and a few generator recharge switches, there's a Radio Trans and Radio Recvr switch, flip those on and you should have radios.

btw. Someone has diagram of engines settings maybe for each stage of flight? From real handbook B314 maybe?
    I bought the full Pilots Operating Handbook in digital format and I'm happy to tell you that 90% of it is in the Pilot's manual series for the digital aircraft. Haven't been able to find a checklist for anything to save my life so maybe there's something still yet to be discovered!

On the back wall, or Shift 7 I believe, there is a small panel with the water gauge, and a few generator recharge switches, there's a Radio Trans and Radio Recvr switch, flip those on and you should have radios.
    Thx for this info! It was this! Both switches to ON and ATC and flaps started to work (it looks like thos switches supply electric).

I could veify that they any of these two are setting "CIRCUIT AVIONICS" On and "AVIONICS MASTER" On. Good catch !
    Works also with the VC

Thanks !

Gérard

Just for preview. Near to finish but Id like to wait for v5.1 HT1 to see the changes in this update.
    After this, this package new textures for VC will be out. Its not only brighter textures, I did retexturation many parts + small improvments. Will do night textures also.

Just for preview. Near to finish but Id like to wait for v5.1 HT1 to see the changes in this update.
    After this, this package new textures for VC will be out. Its not only brighter textures, I did retexturation many parts + small improvments. Will do night textures also.
    Great - Thanks you for this contribution to our beloved B314

Gérard

@Yoyo

By the way, did you notice that the on/off autopilot label (on the right of the CPT seat) is inverted.
    If you can fix it, would be nice.

Gérard

Nice work YoYo certainly needed this. I am curious about the overall green colours given that Pan Am traditionally on all their aircraft did blue and brown. The seats are ok but when you see some contemporary cutaways I see creams and bieges and blue and brown. I wonder why the developers opted for the green look - I know the aluminium protection paint in this era of aircraft especially military was the dreaded khaki green of the aluminium anti corrosion paint but Pan Am was still the user and buyer and they were always fussy about the 'Pan Am' Look!

For interest here is photograh of the Foynes replica - standard Pan Am colours - curious!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plane-cockpit-replica-flying-boat-museum-foynes-ireland-exact-boeing-flying-boat-amazing-flying-.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    I am curious ...
    Hard to tell now. I cant find any good pictures, especially colorful, they are rather Today colored. It could be grey maybe. Its easy to fix for me, I have my own template for upholstery.

but dont forget how Constellation looked like

Yo Yo = great screenshots good to see your airborne in the Clipper. (I still await my new PC - sigh!). The recolouring is a pain true. I had a recolouring program which I tried a number of B&W photos on, actually looking for the colours for the Qantas Constellations, it did not help really but I found a posting elsewhere from an engineer who came good, the QF Connies were grey cockpits with red seats not green. As for the Clippers I did find a reference to the work of an interior designer who Pan Am employed for things of colour and style - He is quoted as beiges, creams and blues with tasteful wood as per Pan Am instructions for all Pan Am aircraft. Did it apply for the B314, given it was wartime again hard to say!

As a footnote I have been trying to buy this one but it seems Pilots shopping cart is broken. Updating it perhaps? Try again another day - computer says NO!
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; November 4th, 2020 at 17:32.

Members who have read this thread: 2