New SSD drive. How can I move stuff???

Thread: New SSD drive. How can I move stuff???

SOH-CM-2023

New SSD drive. How can I move stuff???

Just got a nice 250 gig SSD drive $35 at Staples. Haven't hooked it up yet but I want to move My downloads and of course P3D 1.4 (with tons of ORBX stuff) to the SSD without having to reload everything. Are there any tools out there for that? All I want to basically keep on the C: drive is the OS and a few minor things.
    You can't take the sky from me...

SOH-CM-2023
    Have a look at AOMEI for cloning - should be a free trial, although I paid £45 for the bigger set up. Once you get used to using it its easy but learning curve & not very good english doesn't help.
    Good luck
    Keith

I also considered a 250 gig SSD but it was pointed out that it might be not big enough for FSX AND P3D. Sure glad I listened. Now however the 500 might not be big enough either as space is getting tight...just a thought...

Is your primary drive an SSD? If not, you should consider making your new SSD drive your primary boot device. You will definitely see improved system performance.

As for copying things over, once you install P3d on the new drive, you can copy over the contents of your previous P3d installation (effects, gauges, sim objects, sounds) to the new installation and everything should work.
    I'm not at home right now...so I can't check....but the only thing I am not 100% sure of is the modules folder. You may have to re-install it's contents.... or possibly edit the appropriate cfg or xml file.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Just got a nice 250 gig SSD drive $35 at Staples. Haven't hooked it up yet but I want to move My downloads and of course P3D 1.4 (with tons of ORBX stuff) to the SSD without having to reload everything. Are there any tools out there for that? All I want to basically keep on the C: drive is the OS and a few minor things.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Brian: I run both P3D4+ and P3D5, they reside on their own 2TB SSD with space left over, I use a lot of ORBX which are installed on a separate 1TB SSD.
    That 1TB SSD is full, and I mean FULL!
    I'm installed a 4TB SSD for ORBX only, something of an overkill but 'tis better to have it and not need than need it and not have it.
    Your 240GB SSD would be better used as your boot drive, if you keep it lean it will be fine.
    As for migrating P3D, I think copying it over to another drive is possible but I haven't done it myself, you may need to disconnect the existing P3D drive after migrating to a fresh drive and run the 'repair' option.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

SOH-CM-2023
    My system came with a 100 gig HD that is about 80% full. I run P3d V1.4. I have a large amount of ORBX along with several states worth of Megascenery Earth. Everything fits but my boot time for P3d is almost 15 minutes. Adding the 250 gig SSD more than doubled my storage space. I was hoping that by moving P3d to the SSD (along with all my scenery) I can shorten my load times significantly. Also making things a bit more stable as well.

To make it faster I would clone the 100gb hd to the new 250gb ssd. Then format the old drive and move your add-on scenery, AI a/c and user a/c to the old drive and use the fsx.cfg/p3d.cfg
    to add the AI and player a/c back into the sim. Before you move any scenery remove it from the scenery library first (but leave FTX/Orbx stuff where it is) This should help with load times and
    reduce the read times of the old hd.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Macrium Reflect used here on 4 different computers to clone drives to new SSD's. Works great, fast and easy.
    Lots of YouTube videos on how to use for cloning or backups. Just do a web search for a free Home use download.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I’ll second Milton, Macrium Reflect is easy and reliable.

Eric
    Kind rgds

Eric

i9 9900K, ASUS Z-390-H, 32 GB RAM, ASUS RTX 2080ti
    P3Dv5 and FSX (still)

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Just moved my steam versions over to a new SSD. Steam has now allowed us to move to the new drive in three or four steps. Forgot where I saw it but if you google it you should find it. Took two minutes to set up and 45 minutes to transfer (I have a LOT of stuff). Greatly decreased load times. With the price of SSD’s getting so cheap it makes sense to get one. Paid around $100 for a 1T drive and you can get smaller ones for under $50.

Got lost of room now for all those addons and sims (FSX, P3D, XP-11 and MSFS).

SOH-CM-2023
    I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade from P3D v1.4 to P3d V3 (Still running Windows 7). I just put in a new video card so my system should run it better. I'm installing to the SSD and then I'll start moving over all my stuff (still downloading the P3d zip. I have a crappy internet connection so the eta to finish the download is sometime late this afternoon)

I have been using Acronis True Image for many years, maybe there are better tools but I am familiar with it.
    Going from a smaller disk to a larger disk is not a problem, going the other way may be a bit more difficult.

Members who have read this thread: 0