IRIS C-27 repaint issues

Thread: IRIS C-27 repaint issues

IRIS C-27 repaint issues

Hi all,

I have been working on making a repaint for the IRIS C-27 and completed it, but when I save in paint.net it does a compression and I do not know which to select for optimal results. I have tried multiple different ones and the textures just show up black in the sim during my tests. I am new to this, so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Goshawk45

Hi, Goshawk! I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon, but maybe I can help a little. I've done a few repaints of the C-27 myself.

I've never used paint.net and I'm not sure what "compression" you're referring to in this case. In what format are you saving your work: bmp, jpg, or something else? I always save my work as bmps before heading to DXTBmp for the conversion to textures.

Can you briefly describe your workflow from saving the paint to inserting it into FSX? There could be something else that's causing the black texture problem.
    America never stopped being great.

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    Hi, Goshawk! I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon, but maybe I can help a little. I've done a few repaints of the C-27 myself.

I've never used paint.net and I'm not sure what "compression" you're referring to in this case. In what format are you saving your work: bmp, jpg, or something else? I always save my work as bmps before heading to DXTBmp for the conversion to textures.

Can you briefly describe your workflow from saving the paint to inserting it into FSX? There could be something else that's causing the black texture problem.
    Thanks for the reply, it looks like I just needed to save as a bmp then convert to dds with dxtbmp, got it working now. What can I do to make the font for text on the side smaller than size 8, trying to make a CGAS Corpus Christi texture and cannot get the letters small enough on the nose?

So far so good, just need some help with the font on the nose, its too big right now and its as small as both word and paint.net go. Any other ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CGAS CC.jpg  

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Which Assigned AVDET station are you doing??

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by goshawk45 View Post
    So far so good, just need some help with the font on the nose, its too big right now and its as small as both word and paint.net go. Any other ideas?
    I use Paint Shop Pro. When I use text, the drop down font size menu only allows down to a certain point or pixel size (generally down to 6). But I'm able to type any other number into the box (like 2) and get a result. You may have to adjust your line widths and anti-aliasing to make the letters legible.

BTW, that paint is looking good! Keep it up

EDIT: I just installed paint.net and fiddled with the fonts. Yes, it looks like 8 is the smallest you can select from the drop menu. But typing a number in the font size box allow you to go down to 1.
    Last edited by nagpaw; October 3rd, 2020 at 12:50. Reason: Added note about trying to adjust size in paint.net.

Great looking airplane. It is a very versatile aircraft and I really enjoy flying the model.

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Which Assigned AVDET station are you doing??
    Corpus Christi, its going to be fictional because in reality they operate the HC-144 Ocean Century out of the air station, but since there is not one currently available, the C-27 is the closest one.

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    I use Paint Shop Pro. When I use text, the drop down font size menu only allows down to a certain point or pixel size (generally down to 6). But I'm able to type any other number into the box (like 2) and get a result. You may have to adjust your line widths and anti-aliasing to make the letters legible.

BTW, that paint is looking good! Keep it up

EDIT: I just installed paint.net and fiddled with the fonts. Yes, it looks like 8 is the smallest you can select from the drop menu. But typing a number in the font size box allow you to go down to 1.
    Thanks, I did not know you could type in the font size box (learn something new everyday). I appreciate the help!
    One last question, if I wanted to upload this to the library, what are the necessary steps? I can easily compile the package, but just making sure I do not get into any legal trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    Great looking airplane. It is a very versatile aircraft and I really enjoy flying the model.
    Thanks, its one of my favorites!

Corpus Christi, its going to be fictional because in reality they operate the HC-144 Ocean Century out of the air station, but since there is not one currently available, the C-27 is the closest one.
    The team at PAD did the EADS / CASA / IPTN 295
    for both FSX and Fs9, from which the HC-144 was developed

Here

https://www.premaircraft.com/CASA295/index.html

with USCG paint here

https://www.premaircraft.com/paintshed13/index.html

Ttfn

Pete

Thanks, I did not know you could type in the font size box (learn something new everyday). I appreciate the help!
    One last question, if I wanted to upload this to the library, what are the necessary steps? I can easily compile the package, but just making sure I do not get into any legal trouble.
    I had the same question a few months ago! It's actually not that difficult. Under the stylized word "Warbirds" on the main page or the main page of the library you'll find an "Upload" button. That takes you to a page that allows you to add a description of the file, add keywords, and select the library section into which the file should be placed. Try and make certain everything is correct before pressing the "Submit" button. Things can be corrected afterwards, but you'll have to ask the library mods, and that just adds work for them.

I looked at quite a few files in the SOH library for reference. Honestly, I pattern my descriptions and readme files after Jankees's! The SOH library staff will create the necessary links and discussion thread for your file. That's all it takes!

I know you probably know this, but just be careful that your work is your work, or you credit other peoples' work and have their permission to upload their work as part of your package. Remember to give credit the whomever created the paintkit, too!

Members who have read this thread: 1