Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Thank you for that extremely well done rendering of the Beaver. Not only is is great looking, but handling and feel are there too.

It's actually the default beaver with a modification of removing the floats and adding the wheels.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

So well done Microsoft and thank you Mr. Scrub! But, is this really authorized?
    JMC

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    So well done Microsoft and thank you Mr. Scrub! But, is this really authorized?
    JMC
    Since it is a default airplane and he has made a simple mod and given it back to the community and not put it out for a fee, yea it's probably fine.

Current System Specs:

Upon comparison, it does appear that this is a modification of the stock FSX aircraft. I don't see why it is different than any of the many repaints available for the pontoon version. Because the water taxi Beaver was featured prominently in one of the "Missions" (San Juan Island Run") that came with the FSX package, it appears to have gotton a bit more TLC by the Microsoft team, as did the scenery in that mission. It has the feel and tweaks of some of what Orbx offers in their add-on sceneries.

So that's a good thing because I wouldn't dare to do it assuming I had the skills to!
    JMC

Excellent Beaver rendition

I just wanted to second everyone's comment about this old classic that it is a joy to fly. Many thanks to the team who put this together. IRL I've spent many hours around this classic workhorse. She's a treasure. However, along the lines of realism, of all the renditions payware and otherwise, I've yet to see a model that accurately reflects the s-l-o-w idle of that classic radial. IRL it seems you could almost poke your arm through the prop.. (not really, but it is very slow) as it's idling about 300-500 rpm.. Is there anything that can be done in the models to really reflect the low idle. You can almost hear each jug firing whereas in any FSX model, the engine seems to idle about 1200-1500 rpm. The audio reflects a slower rpm than the animation. This just seems to be a distraction of another old world experience. Anyone have any ideas?? This isn't a dig at this model... this applies to any I've seen and used. This baby is a real keeper like MJ's DC-3 and those classics of M. Shupe. Thank you again for sharing.... Terry
    Last edited by simtech; August 28th, 2020 at 13:15. Reason: spelling

Was there ever a paint kit for the default beaver?
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

This is a high quality and fun plane. I also have the Milviz (because I wanted one on wheels and this didn't exist until yesterday) and there is not that much to choose between them.

I'd be curious about a paint kit, too. There are far more fun paint schemes for the Beaver than I have ever seen done for this or the Milviz. I haven't even found a good olive drab US Army one. And literally dozens of other air forces (mostly on wheels).

August

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    Was there ever a paint kit for the default beaver?
    Not that I'm aware of, but there is a default white paint which can be used as a base.

Cheers,
    Huub

I'm not one to nitpick freeware and don't normally even check all the little bits so it feels odd typing this. However, after I installed it last night I did a short test and noticed a small issue.
    The tailwheel is set to steerable and 45* but in external view the animation only turns the wheel about 5-10*. Not going to let it bother me or prevent me from flying it - can't see the tailwheel from the cockpit.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Works in P3dv5 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by simondix View Post
    Works in P3dv5 as well.
    Hi,
    All FSX default models switch to P3DV5, I think!
    JMC

Is there a NAV/GPS switch on the panel somewhere?

A.F. Scrubs done it again. FSX/P3Dv3,v4,v5 DHC-2_Beaver Bigwheels Tundra version available over at Simviation. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    Is there a NAV/GPS switch on the panel somewhere?
    No, and the VC setup makes it difficult to just add one. I squeezed mine into the radio pop-up by shrinking the width of the audio panel gauge and sticking in a switch there.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

NAV/GPS Switch On The Tundra Version

Second thought....

For a NAV/GPS switch on the tundra version, add these two lines to the Vcockpit02 section of the panel.cfg.

gauge10=Cessna!Nav GPS Switch, 280,455, 16, 16
    gauge11=Cessna!Nav_GPS_Annunciator, 264,455, 16, 16

And, adding these lines to the Window01 section will add NAV/GPS to the pop up radio stack.

gauge07=Cessna!Nav GPS Switch, 13,273, 10, 10
    gauge08=Cessna!Nav_GPS_Annunciator, 3,273, 10, 10
    Last edited by RayHff; September 2nd, 2020 at 14:30. Reason: changed numbers - second thogught

Quote Originally Posted by RayHff View Post
    Second thought....
    For a NAV/GPS switch on the tundra version, add these two lines to the Vcockpit02 section of the panel.cfg.
    gauge10=Cessna!Nav GPS Switch, 280,455, 16, 16
    gauge11=Cessna!Nav_GPS_Annunciator, 264,455, 16, 16

And, adding these lines to the Window01 section will add NAV/GPS to the pop up radio stack.
    gauge07=Cessna!Nav GPS Switch, 13,273, 10, 10
    gauge08=Cessna!Nav_GPS_Annunciator, 3,273, 10, 10

Ray, I tried your suggestion but it didn't work for me. I looked through my "gauges" folder and neither the switch nor annunciator is present.
    It was a good try, though.

So, basically he's plagiarised a licenced Microsoft product.

Wonder if he got permission?

Ttfn

Pete

Cessna.gau

To jmbiii

I run FSX Gold which is basically a compilation of FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration and the Cessna.gau is one of the gauge files in the gauge folder.

It is used by my originally installed default Cessna.

I'm uncertain as to which FSX version it originated.

Sorry for your inconvenience.

Note: The newly installed NAV/GPS switch will be part of the vc autopilot and pop-up autopilot in the radio stack, not a stand alone switch.
    Last edited by RayHff; September 5th, 2020 at 11:48. Reason: spelling and added note

Yeah, Ray. I sort of figured that as I am running P3Dv3. A while back my FSX Gold got trashed and most of the folders (read "gauges") are gone. I looked through the P3D gauge folder and didn't see anything that would do the same.

FSX/P3Dv3,4,5 DeHavilland DHC2-MK3 Turbo Beaver. Now over at Simviation. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    So, basically he's plagiarized a licenced Microsoft product.
    Wonder if he got permission?
    Ttfn
    Pete
    I made mention of the fact early on to make it known this was not a model done from scratch. That was ignored as people continued to say it was even better than some payware, lol. I like the work A.F Scrub does but this is just the default Beaver Float plane with the floats removed and the tires and attaching parts added. One only has to take a few moments to compare the two side by side to see that.

Current System Specs:

I too like the work A.F Scrub does, even though he often makes changes to models created by other authors. The thing that annoys me is that he rarely credits the original author of the model, while sometimes leaving clues that can help you track down who that person was.

I would have more respect if he was to clearly give credit and state whether or not he was successful in getting permission for his changes.

Members who have read this thread: 0