Solomon Sea, Milne Bay, & Buna-Dobodura by UT released!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solomon Sea, Milne Bay, & Buna-Dobodura by UT released!

Icon22 Solomon Sea, Milne Bay, & Buna-Dobodura by UT released!

I started a project to revamp the scenery & islands in the Solomon Sea area between Papua New Guinea (Milne Bay area) & New Britain.

This area has numerous coral heads, yet the stock waterclass is quite bland.

Major islands are:
    Woodlark
    Kiriwina
    Goodenough
    Fergusson
    Normanby

The install follows a similar structure to that used for my New Britain & New Ireland sceneries, I'm hoping to build on that to combine everything into a SWPTO scenery "region", as this should make it easy to add to in a modular fashion as I complete more areas (hopefully).

Some screengrabs ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PNG_SolomonSea_WIPa.jpg   PNG_Sth_SolomonSea_WIPa.jpg   PNG_Moresby_strait_WIPa.jpg   PNG_Sanaroa_WIPa.jpg   PNG_Normanby_WIPa.jpg   PNG_Vivigani_revised_WIPd.jpg  

PNG_Woodlark_UT_WIPd.jpg   PNG_Kiriwina_UT_WIPd.jpg  

Hurrah!

Thrilled to see you are back at it UT. Just got Wake, Marcus and the Marshall's loaded. Really super upgrades. Works very well with MaskRider's Gilberts. Many thanks!

Awesome work UT. The Pacific is a big place and trying to update it like the ETO and MTO were done has been a big issue. If you keep this up it won't be long before that will be solved
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

As always, you've done a magnificent job!!!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Hi UncleTgt
    Super work!
    Looks great.
    Take Care
    Stuart

Great work UT. This wil be more than goodenough!

Solomon Sea UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery Add-Ons

Description: Solomon Sea Scenery for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a reworking of the stock sceneries for the Solomon Sea area between PNG & New Britain. It is designed for use with Rhumbas mesh, but the scenery excludes provided should mean this works well in a stock mesh install too.

Contents:
    New Ground2K scenery for each, including fringing reefs.
    New airbase scenery, made using FSSC.
    New gsl infrastructure.
    New custom Landclass & Waterclass.
    Some simple missions using the stock F4U-1A Corsair for viewing the gsl airbases & scenery

The sceneries are as developed during late 1943 & encompass the Trobriand & Dentrescasteaux island chains:-

Known conflicts:

Installing this scenery pack will require the archiving of some airbases from Maskrider's Papua New Guinea scenery.

Vivigani:- My version is a more developed base layout than Maskrider's
    Vivigani FB: - I can find no evidence of this as a formal seaplane base, so it is removed from this scenery
    Salamo:- Similarly I struggled to find any reference to ww2 airstrip activity at Salamo, though there was a PT Boat base built nearby. I replaced MR's airbase with a simple jungle runway & seaplane moorings instead.
    Guasopa:- I only found a single b&w photo showing a less developed base than Maskrider's, so this Guasopa is replaced by Narewa from this scenery set.

Installing this scenery pack

The G2K scenery included in this package requires copying contents of your scenedb/world/texture folder to your main CFS2 texture folder. (see SECTION A: TEXTURE PREPARATION)

SECTION A: TEXTURE PREPARATON
    1. Highlight all files in your SCENDEB/WORLD/TEXTURE folder
    2. Copy and paste them to your main CFS2/TEXTURE folder
    3. If asked to overwrite click “no”
    4. Hi-lite all files in the Solomon_Sea_UT/TEXTURE folder
    5. Copy and paste them to your main CFS2/TEXTURE folder
    6. If asked to overwrite click “no”.
    7. Highlight all files in the Solomon_Sea_UT/SCENDEB/WORLD/TEXTURE folder
    8. Copy and paste them to your your CFS2/SCENDEB/WORLD/TEXTURE folder
    9. If asked to overwrite click “no”

SECTION B: ADDING NEW SCENERY & GSL
    12. Drop the folder "SWPTO_Islands_UT", "SWPTO_Reefs_UT", "SWPTO_River_Deltas_UT" & "SWPTO_Excludes_UT" into your main CFS2 folder, or wherever you pull your add-on scenery from.
    13. Next, drop the content of the gsl folder along with GSLMan.exe into your CFS2/GSL folder. If asked to over write click “Yes”.
    14. Make a back-up copy of your current cfs2.gsl file. Its OK to leave it in the GSL folder- just rename it.
    15. Open GSLMan.exe from inside your CFS2/GSL folder.
    16. From the "Available Custom Gobs" list hi-light marshalls_airbases_UT.gsl Click the "ADD" button.
    17. Wait until GSLMan.exe says it's thru then…
    18. From the "Available Custom Gobs" list hi-light marshalls_eyecandy_UT.gsl Click the "ADD" button.
    19. Close GSLMan.

SECTION C: ACTIVATING & ARRANGING THE NEW SCENERY IN CFS 2

20. Activate the "SWPTO_Excludes_UT" scenery. Put this low down in your Library listing, just above the "Runways" (stock runways layer)is a good location.
    21. Activate your "SWPTO_Islands_UT" scenery. This can be quite high in the listing, way above any mesh, watermasks or exclude layers, BUT CERTAINLY ABOVE the "SWPTO_Excludes_UT" layer! I put my G2K sceneries below the "Airport Facilities Data" layer.
    22. Activate your "SWPTO_Reefs_UT" scenery. This needs to sit above the "SWPTO_Islands_UT" layer. You may see unusual display effects if this sits below the "SWPTO_Islands_UT" layer.
    23. Activate your "SWPTO_River_Deltas_UT" scenery. This needs to sit above the "SWPTO_Reefs_UT" layer. As above, you may see unusual display effects if this layer ordering is not followed.

The screengrab of my own Scenery Library order is included in this zip & should help with clarification.

The scenery is installed.

NOTE: To make the runways available in MB enter the runway entries listed in the SolomonSea_UT/airbase_entries.txt file into your airbases.dat file which can be found in your CFS2/INFO folder. Be sure to back up your current airbases.dat file first.

Credits
    Thanks to:
    Jean Bomber for his inspiration, advice & support. He talked me through getting to grips with G2K & more…
    Maskrider for all his airbase packages & the blended airbase tutorial. This set the standard for airbase sceneries for the game.
    Rhumbaflappy for the new more accurate world mesh – it was a desire to make best use of this development that is the driver for many of my scenery projects. He also developed the vtp1 fixer programme to fix display errors in vtp bgls compiled from Ground2K.
    GavinC for his reworking of the stock airbases, making individual base reworking/ revision much easier
    Shessi for his water textures, that were the inspiration for my reworking of Jimkos Pacific Blues, & indirectly lead me to develop this latest set of water textures.
    Lindsay Watt for all of his scenery objects & innovations.
    Wolfi for his scenery objects.
    Xavier for all his scenery objects & airbase sceneries, opening up a larger world for us all to fly in
    Martin Wright for all the various software tools that are so useful!
    Russell Dirks for his EZ landclass programme, making large scale land/ water class adjustments possible
    Christian Fumey for his excl8 & Ground2K programmes, making the creation of completely new scenery possible for CFS2.

UncleTgt
    AUG 2020

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Solomon Sea UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon22 Reply...

UncleTgt,

Wow... This is certainly an unexpected, yet very welcome addition to the Pacific! Thank you!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thank you Unc!

Taking us back to where it all started (or at least in Mission Builder ) . . .

Great work as always.

Cheers
    BuV

Ok, somebody's got to help me out. Regarding the new addition by UT: SolomonSea

Under SECTION B: ADDING NEW SCENERY & GSL...... lines 16 thru 19.....what's "marshalls_airbases_UT.gsl and marshalls_eyecandy-UT....got to do with this scenery install? Just asking/

No problem. I see what happened and can figure it out. I think.

A Question Uncle!

I currently have your New Britain install loaded in my one and only Rhumba PTO. It too has a file called SWPTO Islands_UT. Now am I going to screw things up if I add the contents scenery and texture folder to my existing file of the same name? If I do add it will ask me to overwrite. What then? Or should I just create a separate Theater.
    I currently have all my new scenery files for my Rhumba PTO loaded into a folder named (ADDON), so I can keep these items separate from my SCENEDB folder. I can try loading this SWPTO_Islands_UT file there in the SCENEDB and see if that creates a conflict. I hope I haven't confused you, but I was trying to keep it brief.

Worthless

Thanks for the heads up on the read me type regarding gsl, I need to change that.

You are also correct, my New Britain + New Ireland sceneries also share these folder names, I'm trying to work towards limiting the number of scenery folders/layers you have to use.

The Solomon Sea bgls are all new/different to any New Britain bgls so you can add them without any conflict - I have New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon Sea bgls in the same "SWPTO_Islands", "SWPTO_Reefs", "SWPTO_Rivers" & "SWPTO_Excludes" folder structure.

Great! Thanks UT. I'll fix it that way. For now, it seems to work fine, but I'd rather follow your lead.

There seem to be something new in Islands, Reefs and Rivers. I get pop ups asking me if I want over write or skip. I skipped the over write. If I should have over written, let me know. I can go back and do it easily.

Very nice John!

Great work, not bad for ol' CFS2..ha ha.

Many thanks.

Cheers

Shessi

This looks awsome, thank you UT!

Quote Originally Posted by Worthless View Post
    There seem to be something new in Islands, Reefs and Rivers. I get pop ups asking me if I want over write or skip. I skipped the over write. If I should have over written, let me know. I can go back and do it easily.
    Worthless, I included all the textures so that people can use it as a stand-alone scenery. Generally when asked, I would over-write if it's a newer file date than the one I have, otherwise there's no need. In this case skipping is OK, any new items will be added to what you already have.

The scenery readme has been amended to correct the gsl reference & the zip updated.

U.T.,
    Looking forward to those whenever I get back into the Pacific Theater.....

Thanks for all of your excellent contributions!

Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Looks like I will have to start a Rumba_UT PTO install.

Thanks UT,
    B24Guy

Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Looks like I will have to start a Rumba_UT PTO install.

Thanks UT,
    B24Guy
    I know I could use one of those.

Thanks again UT!

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

So I'm spending time expanding this scenery to incorporate Milne Bay & the offshore islands, as far north as Cape Vogel ...

Some screengrabs of progress so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PNG_Dogura_UT.jpg   PNG_Samarai_SP_UT.jpg   PNG_Mullins_Bay_UT.jpg   PNG_China_Strait_UT.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0