Autopilots???

Thread: Autopilots???

Blog Entries

Autopilots???

I have tried three aircraft with autopilots, the Bonanza, Cirrus 22, Cessna 208. I have yet to find an autopilot that can find and maintain an altitude. All they do is search by climbing and diving. This is after I turn the AP on, turn on altitude, and dial in an altitude that I want to to reach and hold.

Does anyone else have them working? Could you share how you do it?

Yes, I am talking about you John/Bomber. Anyone else feel free to jump right in. It is just that he seems to know everything about this new sim.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

G1000 Autopilot

I had only used the autopilot in the steam-gauge C172 and the A320 to-date, but I looked into the operation of the G1000 autopilot, as found in the G36 Bonanza, and this is the way I've seen it described and the way I'm using it to set my altitude is as follows:

- Once in the air, turn the autopilot on. The three bars at the top of the main pilot's display will now be filled with the AP info in green.
    - Next, set the altitude desired, which will also display on the main screen but over the top of the altitude bar.
    - Once that is done, press the vertical speed button to engage that mode. Using the two increase/decrease buttons near it, adjust your desired vertical speed (this will be displayed within the AP info at the top of the main display).
    - The aircraft will continue climbing or descending at the set vertical speed until it gets near to and reaches the set altitude. The vertical speed mode then automatically disengages and altitude hold engages.

You shouldn't have to do anything else. (Fortunately setting and holding the heading is easy.)

Operating the auto pilot in the C208 and SR22 is the exact same, except that the autopilot controls have their own panel. In both the C208 and SR22, instead of buttons for the vertical speed incr/decr, it is controlled with a little dial/wheel instead.

I've been dialing in my cruise altitude while still on the ground, and then activating the AP and vert speed after I clear the airport airspace. It all seems to work really well.

A good video on using the G1000 type autopilot here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zziqKa9_h10
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 23rd, 2020 at 17:34.

I've only used the AP on the steam C172. It looks a lot like the FS8/9 version, but it's not. You have to set the altitude, then hit the ALT button to access the v-speed setting and use the UP and DN buttons to set that before the display reverts back. I'm still a little shaky on it myself.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I had only used the autopilot in the steam-gauge C172 and the A320 to-date, but I looked into the operation of the G1000 autopilot, as found in the G36 Bonanza, and this is the way I've seen it described and the way I'm using it to set my altitude is as follows:

- Once in the air, turn the autopilot on. The three bars at the top of the main pilot's display will now be filled with the AP info in green.
    - Next, set the altitude desired, which will also display on the main screen but over the top of the altitude bar.
    - Once that is done, press the vertical speed button to engage that mode. Using the two increase/decrease buttons near it, adjust your desired vertical speed (this will be displayed within the AP info at the top of the main display).
    - The aircraft will continue climbing or descending at the set vertical speed until it gets near to and reaches the set altitude. The vertical speed mode then automatically disengages and altitude hold engages.

You shouldn't have to do anything else. (Fortunately setting and holding the heading is easy.)

Operating the auto pilot in the C208 and SR22 is the exact same, except that the autopilot controls have their own panel. In both the C208 and SR22, instead of buttons for the vertical speed incr/decr, it is controlled with a little dial/wheel instead.

I've been dialing in my cruise altitude while still on the ground, and then activating the AP and vert speed after I clear the airport airspace. It all seems to work really well.

A good video on using the G1000 type autopilot here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zziqKa9_h10
    Thanks! I watched a few videos on YouTube last night, including that one. I was not using the FLC or VS buttons. I thought all you needed to do was hit the hold Alt button. I will try that later today.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Members who have read this thread: 0