Screenshots - Page 134

Thread: Screenshots

Love the third 'stang shot Bob, you've really captured everything beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Love the third 'stang shot Bob, you've really captured everything beautifully.
    Thanks, Brother, she's definitely a keeper, beautifully done.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Great shot dvj !
    Richard

The goose that made rain

A new WIP for the Goose BR.
    A livery in the colors of the New York City Police in the 1950s.
    The search for photos and information is always something interesting.
    The 2nd photo shows a March 1950 article published by the Brooklyn Daily Eagle newspaper where we learn that the plane was used to create artificial rain.
    I thought this technique was developed much later.

That is a great livery, Richard, with an interesting history and colors!

This weekend I've been spending even more time with the Pitts models, preparing for the release of the Carenado Gee Bee R-2 and Z on Tuesday, April 26th. I taught myself how to properly fly the Pitts S-2 in the sim last summer, using as many real world tutorial videos/cockpit videos as I could find on Youtube - it's quite satisfying recreating the proper landing techniques and getting great results (proper patterns/approaches, airspeeds, perfect three-point landings, etc.). The single seat, race-modified Pitts S-1's included with the Reno pack, such as the one pictured, seem to be a bit more of a handful - especially those with more advanced modifications, such as clipped wings and reduced visibility from the cockpit due to smaller canopies.

Last edited by Bomber_12th; April 23rd, 2022 at 10:10.

Beautiful shot, dvj, love the atmosphere! Bomber, that last shot is my favorite! Beautiful! I took one of these up and my landing was horrendous, taking up the whole runway and more, LOL. I'll have to check out the landing speeds on these things, they're a handful. I'll have to change out my pilot though because his head sticks up past the canopy, LOL.

1250410_20220417135036_1 by Robert Rivera, on Flickr

Last summer, for about a month, the Pitts S-2B was just about the only plane I was flying. For me, it is one of the most fun planes and very satisfying when everything just clicks.

Although I watched quite a number of Youtube cockpit/flight videos at the time, to learn how pilots handle them in reality, this is the one that was by far the most useful to me. I was able to train in MSFS flying from the same airport as seen in this video which, with its narrow 25ft-wide runway, really hones your landing skills. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_fJd5bK_us

With the Pitts, I always prefer doing the angled approach as illustrated in the first landing as seen in the linked video. Since the MSFS flight model doesn't lose speed with the throttle off nearly as much as with the real aircraft, I slow down to 100 mph before turning toward the runway from downwind. I also throttle back nearly completely, and do a little bit of side-slipping if needed, so that the airspeed is back to about 80 mph by the time I'm over the threshold. Then once over the threshold, the throttle is cut completely and as I align the aircraft to the runway heading I'm also pulling back and holding it off just above the runway until it stalls on in three-point attitude.

Flight Chops also did a series of videos on learning to fly the Pitts S-2B (with the same instructor and plane as in the link above): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BwvCvieZN4

Finally finishing up a 6-week tour of South America, heading northward thru Central America on the way back to Florida.

Using the 247D to make all the short legs thru CA up to MGGT, before heading west without a single issue until just as I was landing at MGGT.

Forest

One of my favorite MSFS aircraft in my most favorite airline colors. First airline I ever flew on was a National Airline Lockheed Electra.

Forest

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Ahh, such creativity.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by FAC257 View Post
    One of my favorite MSFS aircraft in my most favorite airline colors. First airline I ever flew on was a National Airline Lockheed Electra.

Forest
    Thanks for using my paint. When the new update 1.8 comes out you might want to re-download it as they change the cockpit and I will have to update that change.

Speedbirds

Details, details...

I've created 9 RCAF liveries now for the AH P-51D (or TF-51D as they were called post war in Canada), with 443 Squadron GY-B being the latest. There is only 1 photograph of this aircraft I could find, and a 1 sentence description of the history of this mustang including "dates unknown". My hope is that someone from the West coast of Canada personally knows something about the RCAF Sea Island base of the early 50's (now CYVR) and might share info with me. So far, no replies. As far as I know, there was only 1 aircraft painted like this for 'The City of New Westminster' aux squadron, ( possibly for public events/promotion?) Other aircraft in the squadron have a much different livery with dark blue highlights. Anyway, I plan on sharing everything soon. I'm interested in doing 1 more livery representing the West coast, then I will have represented much of Canada's mustangs of the 1950's. Labour of love.

443 Sqn RCAF TF-51D GY-B by Doug Smith, on Flickr

443 Sqdn RCAF GY-B over CYYJ by Doug Smith, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Thanks for using my paint. When the new update 1.8 comes out you might want to re-download it as they change the cockpit and I will have to update that change.
    Actually, I fly quite a few of your repaints. I check daily to see if you've done anything new for the aircraft I have, that are good matches for the areas I usually fly in.

Forest

Not a screenshot I know, but some might enjoy it.

Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    I've created 9 RCAF liveries now for the AH P-51D (or TF-51D as they were called post war in Canada), with 443 Squadron GY-B being the latest. There is only 1 photograph of this aircraft I could find, and a 1 sentence description of the history of this mustang including "dates unknown". My hope is that someone from the West coast of Canada personally knows something about the RCAF Sea Island base of the early 50's (now CYVR) and might share info with me. So far, no replies. As far as I know, there was only 1 aircraft painted like this for 'The City of New Westminster' aux squadron, ( possibly for public events/promotion?) Other aircraft in the squadron have a much different livery with dark blue highlights. Anyway, I plan on sharing everything soon. I'm interested in doing 1 more livery representing the West coast, then I will have represented much of Canada's mustangs of the 1950's. Labour of love.
    That's a very nice looking paint, you've got a number of things right there that most painters get wrong with RCAF birds.

There is a photo of GY-B together with GY-D on the ramp on page 16 of Pat Martin's "RCAF Aircraft Finish and Markings 1947-68." They both look to be wearing the same markings with the light blue flash that you show. It's a low-res photo and the serial of both aircraft cannot be made out. In the photo, the squadron emblem on GY-B on the starboard side seems to be just ahead of the windscreen. I am in touch with Pat and could see if he has a better version of that photo or of any others, if you would like.

August

I know of that book, and thank you August. There is a copy at my local warplane museum giftshop for $100 but the images are as you say poor, and I can't justify spending that amount for 1 page of information pertaining to Mustangs, even though I've come very close. lol This is the photo I used, and with some digging I found out the serial number. I don't know if this is an early version of the livery, or later, but I have one other photo of the same (?) aircraft ,slightly different markings and yes, with the Hornet crest ahead of the windscreen. Apparently the Mustangs moved around to different squadrons for periods of time. So the same aircraft may have had 2 or 3 markings during it's service in the 50's. I would love to learn any information you can find, I am striving to be as accurate as I can with the very limited information available. Anything helps.

https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/pos...mk-i-ii-and-iv

Members who have read this thread: 354