Keeping busy - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping busy

Well, killed two days, trying to figure out what this gauge/devise is, shown in the poor photo. Maybe someone has an idea, since I have no idea, what it is. Through all the research (that I spend too much time!), it is only fitted to early C models?

For the C2, any photos seem to be pretty rare, so the photo is not clear enough, to read the wording. I've looked at everything I could find...and nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ju88c gauge.jpg  

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar
    Try this or contact him https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/

Looks like a rotary switch for a compass as it appears to be a pointer with the white indicator on it. There are similar ones on this sight.

Thanks, NachtPiloten! Yep, it's a great site, been on it many times. Didn't think about compass...I'll check.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Thought

have you tried here

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/

there is a wealth of knowledge there and some very obscure and or rare pieces of data

Thanks again. Still nothing. Can't make out the word on the unit...if I could... Looks somewhat like an adjusting cable comes off of it, the outer strap maybe the adjustment 'lock'. Back at it.

Unusual one this I've looked through my resources and done the online stuff, but non the wiser!
    Did find other photos, a couple with the locking strap open.

John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Perhaps it's something like a tail wheel lock?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I think the tailwheel lock was a lever in front of the pilot seat Andy
    Ted mentioned that this switch was fitted to the C version, I tried to narrow it down to something only fitted to the c version, but those two pics I posted clearly have glazed noses, so I don't think that is the case?
    John

Keep it coming!

Ju 88 specific gauge

Hallo friends,
    at first I have looked at all my Ju 88 original german manuals,
    no one shows this gaugge like on your photo which I have also
    So I believe that the photo was taken from a prototype.
    This gauge looks for me as one of the Kursteuerung Schalter,
    fitted with a special security latch.
    All my manuals show at this place a Verbrauchsmesser (consumption
    gauge)
    The other solution might be a switch for the "Rauchanlage" in fact a switch for the
    RATO Walther HWK 109-500 Starthilfe. In this case not to fire the system but to release the two "Rauchgerate" after use.
    This might explain the existance of a security latch over the switch.
    That is what I find as solution.
    On my FS9 Ju 88 A-4 panel there will be a consumption gauge ot the drop swith for the ratos
    Yours
    Papi

Really appreciate all the research! I also wondered if it was used on other NF w/solid nose types, but didn't find anything. But, now, going by the photos showing it, fitted to Ju 88s with a glazed nose, stops one idea. Had in mind maybe a oxygen pressure regulator for the air-operated firing system, for the MG FF. The photo I'm going by, as I'm sure many of you know, is written as an early C series. What I've read on that is, the C-1 was the first prototype, the C-2 first to be 'produced', C-3 the next prototype, and so on. And, I'll add the C-2 was built, using high-time A-1 airframes, with the shorter wings. Anyway, thanks! Gives me more to search for.

Ju 88 cockpit

Here my Ju 88 D-1 for FS9
    There is still a lot of work to do
    I thinkit would not be a lot of work to change it to a solid nose C version
    Yours
    Papi

Very good Michael!
    Giuseppe

I asked about this switch in another forum and this is the reply I got-

It's the yaw axis control switch ("Schalter für Kurssteuerung").
    On early C models it was added in this "makeshift" way, later builds had the panel extended and the switch would move to the lower left of the ZVK-FF (MG-FF breech control unit - "Zähler-Verschlusskontrollkasten ZVK-FF für MG FF"):

Keeping busy Kursteuerungs switch detail

Here a photo to comort Eddies mail
    the switch was located as shown on the photo, and if not used scured by the latch, here in down open position the gauge has not been reinstalled yet
    Yours
    Papi

Well that clears that up!
    John

Keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo/4 View Post
    Well that clears that up!
    Yes it does John, now Ted owes us, I have a JU88 C4 beta he sent me in 2001 I believe for CFS2, been waiting patiently for 20 years for him to finish it, and now its time for him to pay up,lol

I just want the big boat!
    John

Keep it coming!

Great!

Thanks for that. Eddie! Wow, now I should be able to dig up details on it. Yeah, does look like a bit of make-shift on the C2, like the changes to the console. In ways, a little tough digging out what's there. I can only assume, 'rearward' of the photo, same as the A-1. As for that CFS2 C4...that's what you get, for letting my hands on CFS3! 'If' I finish the C2, easy swap on the wings, and canopy, to push out a C4. Big boat? Lol. I gotta live that long, first. (If things get bad enough, maybe we'll talk about handing out projects.)

crossram, John is ready and willing to paint the Boat,lol Just get him the files he needs and he'll be all over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo/4 View Post
    I just want the big boat!
    Yeah it was big John, but just didn't realize how big until I saw this! Unreal that it could get off the water at all,lol

Yea staggering really, look at it compared the the B-29
    John

Keep it coming!

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    What a BEAST !

Ju 88 Kurssteuerung Einmotorenflug

Hi Crossram,
    in my head I was sure to have seen the concerned gauge, but did not remember where.
    It is in the doc "Lehrbildreihe Ju 88" and on the picture JFM Ju88 Führerraum JFM
    1940 Kursteurungsschalter f. einmotorenflug 544
    In fact it is a rudder trim gauge for the autopilot for the case an engine fails
    To make an operational gauge out of this will be another question,
    Perhaps some gauge experts can do that faster than I will
    Yours
    Papi

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Yeah it was big John, but just didn't realize how big until I saw this! Unreal that it could get off the water at all,lol

Diesel powered too! Winkle Brown tells of collecting a captured one from Norway and the German pilot seemed to take forever to get airborne. He had actually locked the control column first and was trying to shake the aircraft to pieces on the water. Brown replaced him and found the BV-222 actually lifted off quite happily. The controls were powered, which was quite revolutionary in its day.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Yeah it was something back then!

Members who have read this thread: 0