Grumman F9F-8P Cougar - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grumman F9F-8P Cougar

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    Just re-installed the V4.5 SDK and re-compiled.
    Here is the result.
    Photo-Cougar for P3D4.5

https://www.sendspace.com/file/2y961g

Rob
    Hello Rob,

That was a princely thing to do - much, much appreciated.

I only had 5 min before I ran out to the office to work to check the v4.5 version. Thanks so much! Unfortunately, I still don't see the radio panel numbers. They work and display fine on the 2d popup, so things are turned on and working fine from a coding point of view, so far as I can tell. The battery and master power switches are both on, and as far as I can tell, all other instruments work and display fine.

I'll have to spend some more time at figuring it out.

Have a great evening,

dl

EDIT: Navy Chief piped up with pics of the VC - and I have a bigger problem than just the digits; that whole panel is untextured, as well as not showing the radio digits. But the F and T versions are fine - very strange. Clearly I have something funky going on my system where it's not loading the textures as it should. Will delete the whole thing and start from fresh tonight and see what I can find.
    Last edited by delta_lima; June 15th, 2020 at 11:49.

Blog Entries
    Spent all evening on this one - completely stumped. Here's what Navy Chief's screens look like - notice the VC texturing and the exterior, where there's clear demarcation between white and gull grey:

Contrast with mine - untextured VC, and exterior is one continuous colour.

So clearly there's no issue with the package, but why what would explain the differences? Note, NC's shots are in V5 using the V5 version, mine are in V4.5 using that sim's version that Rob attached earlier today.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, as this is one of those "dream addons", and the work Rob has put into it deserves attention and enjoyment.

thanks,

dl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8p.jpg   8p1.jpg   2020-6-15_21-55-15-406.jpg   2020-6-15_21-51-0-678.jpg   2020-6-15_22-11-18-557.jpg  

My only suggestion would be, wait for the "Milviz" version!

What version of P3D are you both using? And are one of you using Dynamic reflections? Depending on which version, you won't have the same lighting engine.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    What version of P3D are you both using? And are one of you using Dynamic reflections? Depending on which version, you won't have the same lighting engine.
    Hi Rick - thanks for piping up. I'm running V4.5. The model I'm using is the one Rob linked yesterday - but now it's gone. But the issue presented in the same ways as it did on the existing v5 model that's available on his site.

I think you're onto it - something that my particular version of P3D won't render it quite the way it was intended, and which obviously works for the higher version.

Rob, I didn't know Milviz was working on one, but in the unlikely event one materializes from them, I'll likely pass, though my views on their products are for another discussion. Thanks for the heads up, though, and don't worry - I'll make yours work yet. It looks like the V5 model looks well, and since that's what you set out to do, I have no issue whatsoever with that.

I'm slowly getting results by making some tweaks in MCX, but as an untalented neophyte, it'll take a while to sort. I've cased the exterior model issues I was having, will tackle the VC later.

Again, though, I remain eternally grateful for this model. Many, many thanks.

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hi Rick - thanks for piping up. I'm running V4.5. The model I'm using is the one Rob linked yesterday - but now it's gone. But the issue presented in the same ways as it did on the existing v5 model that's available on his site.

I think you're onto it - something that my particular version of P3D won't render it quite the way it was intended, and which obviously works for the higher version.

Rob, I didn't know Milviz was working on one, but in the unlikely event one materializes from them, I'll likely pass, though my views on their products are for another discussion. Thanks for the heads up, though, and don't worry - I'll make yours work yet. It looks like the V5 model looks well, and since that's what you set out to do, I have no issue whatsoever with that.

I'm slowly getting results by making some tweaks in MCX, but as an untalented neophyte, it'll take a while to sort. I've cased the exterior model issues I was having, will tackle the VC later.

Again, though, I remain eternally grateful for this model. Many, many thanks.

dl
    I don't want to speak for Rob, but this is almost certainly PBR settings being affected differently by P3D v5 compared to P3D v4.5 - it's playing havoc with all developers at the moment. LM are working on a hotfix which was supposed to be out by now but clearly something's holding them up. I'm not updating any models to v5 standard until LM gets v5 working correctly in terms of lighting. None of this is down to the users or the devs, and Rob models in Blender just as I do.

I'd sit tight, tinker if you like, but once LM gets its lighting game together with v5, models should work somewhat better between the two versions than they currently do.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Blog Entries
    How do you download it? I went to the V5 page but clicking on the pictures didn't give me a download link.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    How do you download it? I went to the V5 page but clicking on the pictures didn't give me a download link.
    Click on the white box at the top of the screenshot, on the homepage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Click on the white box at the top of the screenshot, on the homepage.
    Okay, thanks! Heading there now.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I hope they improve the PBR in P3D. Right now it's not great. The results using it are much lower quality than other sims that use PBR. This is mostly due to how it incorporates light and shadows. The other part is reflections, which are totally washed out IMHO. In order to get a good metallic look now you need to have a very contrasted sky color. Like the REX "High Flyers" where the sky is dark blue with bright white clouds. Otherwise it melds together and you're left with something less than stellar. Lighting intensity needs to be increased by default in the sim as well. Everything currently looks under illuminated. Been a problem since the incorporation of dynamic lights (not to be confused with dynamic reflections).
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Success!

Thanks to all who piped and helped with guidance on MCX. Got the VC transparency sorted, and got the gull-grey/white to show how I had hoped. I'm going to play with the canopy settings a bit more - but it's pretty much "there". Was worth the couple nights of investigating, plus I've delved into the world of MCX to boot.

Rob, out of all your Cold War gems, this one's at the top of my favourites list - I can't thank you enough for doing this one. Least I can do is post a couple shots, from V4.5:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-6-16_23-22-55-824.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	76907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-6-16_23-23-11-489.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	76908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-6-16_23-33-33-353.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	76909

Many, many thanks to you and all who pitched in.

dl

Members who have read this thread: 0