FSX:SE Smoke Effect for Ships not working?

Thread: FSX:SE Smoke Effect for Ships not working?

FSX:SE Smoke Effect for Ships not working?

I'll check my file system again and make sure the effects are in my system (I'm 99.99% sure they are), but it appears the smoke effects for ships don't work in FSX:SE. Does anyone have a fix for it?

They work on my SE. Very nicely.

Remember, if a ship comes with effects, you must install those effects for them to work.
    Generally, smoke for ships, as far as I know, is built into the model. If not, the smoke is part-n-parcel of the wake effect.

AI ships can only have one effect in the sim.cfg file, so they either have to make the wake effect a combination of two, the wake and the smoke, or they have to build it into the model, so they can have the sim.cfg call the wake effect.

If you have a plane installed that changes the original smoke effects for FSX, the ships may not be able to use them. Even if they have the same name as the default, if the effect was changed to work with a specific plane, the ships may not be able to call them, or they may not appear correctly if they can.

I am NOT a ship builder/dev, and I hope Henrik will weigh in and correct me. Having said all that, that's the way I understand the workings of the situation...

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    They work on my SE. Very nicely.

Remember, if a ship comes with effects, you must install those effects for them to work.
    Generally, smoke for ships, as far as I know, is built into the model. If not, the smoke is part-n-parcel of the wake effect.

AI ships can only have one effect in the sim.cfg file, so they either have to make the wake effect a combination of two, the wake and the smoke, or they have to build it into the model, so they can have the sim.cfg call the wake effect.

If you have a plane installed that changes the original smoke effects for FSX, the ships may not be able to use them. Even if they have the same name as the default, if the effect was changed to work with a specific plane, the ships may not be able to call them, or they may not appear correctly if they can.

I am NOT a ship builder/dev, and I hope Henrik will weigh in and correct me. Having said all that, that's the way I understand the workings of the situation...

Pat☺
    Thanks for responding.

Well, I made a discovery to further this. It turns out to be related to AiCarriers somehow. If I load a single ship with AiCarriers2, the smoke effect works fine. But I load a fleet of ships, it somehow doesn't. I did a little investigation, but not much. I do wonder what would happen if I use the same smoke effect file for all ships, maybe it will work?

The same fleet using the same effects files the smoke effects work for most if not all ships of the fleet (some of the ships don't seem to have any smoke, I haven't checked their cfg files or models to see if they are actually looking for a smoke effect) does work in regular Accel FSX.

I have seen other people complain of this error as well, that smoke effects did not work for them. I think their problem was typically with airplanes. One person posted the fix was to decrease the quality of effects, but then supposedly smoke looked like bubbles. I haven't tried that yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0