Beechcraft_18DS_auto-smoke_gauge_for FSX

Thread: Beechcraft_18DS_auto-smoke_gauge_for FSX

Beechcraft_18DS_auto-smoke_gauge_for FSX

Downloaded this effect from "FSX Effect" in the Warbirds Library and installed it on the Carenado D18 .... looks sweet !! one minor oops though , I have to manually hit the "I" key for the smoke to come on ??.

Pretty sure this has something to do with the line in the "18 folder" - "beech_smoke.xml"

I reckon this line belongs in the aircraft.cfg file somewhere ??

Regards

beech_smoke.xml is going to be a gauge, activated via a line in the panel.cfg.
    If you're still having problems a link to the file would be nice..
    Roman

Hi,

You need to add the XML gauge to your panel.cfg;
    see the README in the zip file.
    The purpose of the gauge is to automate engine smoke, so you don't have to do that manually with the "I" command.

That said (and with due respect to the designer): the gauge isn't very well designed.
    This is the code:

Code:
    (A:GENERAL ENG1 THROTTLE LEVER POSITION,percent) 60 > if{ (>K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ (>K:SMOKE_OFF) }
    1. This really is bad design:
    The gauge continuously (every 55 msec) issues a SMOKE event.
    Causing a.o. problems with Multi-keystroke functions, like Select-Engine, Toggle doors, Pushback, etc …

2. Limited functionality:
    a. It doesn't check for running engines; meaning that if Eng1 is Off, and you set Throttle > 60 %, you will see engine smoke… LoL
    b. It doesn't make a distinction between left/right engines; see a.

If you really want this auto-smoke gauge to work properly (assuming the throtttle lever criterium is correct):

In the aircraft.cfg, add:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.1=-1.2, -9.20,0, fx_beech 18_ExSmoke
    smoke.2=-1.2, 9.20,0, fx_beech 18_ExSmoke

In the gauge beech_smoke.xml, replace the line above by:
    Code:
    (A:GENERAL ENG COMBUSTION:1,bool) (A:GENERAL ENG THROTTLE LEVER POSITION:1,percent) 60 > &&
    if{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE:1,bool) ! if{ 1 (>K:SMOKE_ON) } }
    els{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE:1,bool) if{ 1 (>K:SMOKE_OFF) } }
    (A:GENERAL ENG COMBUSTION:2,bool) (A:GENERAL ENG THROTTLE LEVER POSITION:2,percent) 60 > &&
    if{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE:2,bool) ! if{ 2 (>K:SMOKE_ON) } }
    els{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE:2,bool) if{ 2 (>K:SMOKE_OFF) } }

Which solves the "bad design", checks for engines running and enables the auto-smoke effect independantly for both engines.

You can edit the aircraft.cfg , and an xml file, simply with Windows Notepad.
    TIP: use Windows Copy/Paste, to avoid typo's .....

Not tested, but unless I made typo's myself, Roman will probably agree with this ...LoL

Cheers, Rob

Thank you both , rcbarend going to run with your suggestion ....
    Wish me luck !

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    Thank you both , rcbarend going to run with your suggestion ....
    Wish me luck !

Regards
    No luck needed ...LoL
    My suggestions will work , unless I / You goof up in making the proper changes.
    Just try it …..
    But should you get stuck: don't hesitate to report here ….. I'll gladly will try to solve this for you ..

Rob

Cheers for that .....

Not tested, but unless I made typo's myself, Roman will probably agree with this ...LoL
    Looks good Rob! OFC, not tested, just looked at with only 1 cup in me (just awoke)
    @Aircanuck - You'll get it!
    Roman

Members who have read this thread: 0