The Battle Of Midway 1942 Scenery - Already tested?

Thread: The Battle Of Midway 1942 Scenery - Already tested?

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

The Battle Of Midway 1942 Scenery - Already tested?

Hi all,

Roger Leupold´s scenery on flightsim.com seems to be interesting.....

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...rchid=77212259

Has anybody tried the scenery?....

RS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Midway.jpg  

RS No. Roger had a note to say do not change things due to possible display issues. I have already spent a great deal of time redoing midway from some photoscenery and customising it back to the later 1930s early 1940s complete with Pan Ams clipper hotel. This would be nice to add in if I could, I guess it depends upon how dynamic it is as well. I will have a look and see. It would be great to punt out the Aerosoft Cat in the midway colours to find these ships.

I might add that Leupold is a profilic scenery creator and has done a lot in Oz and the Pacific area.

RS - Well I installed it and gave it an initial run in the PBY at dawn. It is all action on one level so you start being bombed. Seems to work fine. Be interesting to get out and see if the ships appear etc but the Midway Island looks ok. I did temporarily remove my Midway. As far as I can tell looks fine in FSXA on a Win 7 64 bit machine, is a little hard on the frames though.

Couple of pics - it was dawn and this is departure and then another shot nearby.

Big effort but not to my taste I shall return to the uninhabitable atoll with the gannets.
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; May 4th, 2020 at 06:55.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Icon28 ...

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    RS - Well I installed it and gave it an initial run in the PBY at dawn. It is all action on one level so you start being bombed. Seems to work fine. Be interesting to get out and see if the ships appear etc but the Midway Island looks ok. I did temporarily remove my Midway. As far as I can tell looks fine in FSXA on a Win 7 64 bit machine, is a little hard on the frames though.

Couple of pics - it was dawn and this is departure and then another shot nearby.

Big effort but not to my taste I shall return to the uninhabitable atoll with the gannets.

Hi BendyFlyer

thank you for your feedback and the pics (...these pics give an impression of that kind of hell I had never gotten to know thank god)
    Over the coming days I will find time to try the scenery on my old PC - hopefully getting some FPS

When looking on his homepage http://rogersaussiefsxscenery.com I´ve seen that Roger made a lot of sceneries and other things - also a Pearl Harbour 1941 scenery... I didn´t know that.... May be a lot of more stuff to hold FSX interesting....

And whats about your "Midway" scenery with the Clipper Hotel? Do you have published it?

Many greetings

RS

RS - no not published because it is a mix of several different libraries and objects i did using ADE and Instant Scenery. Basically I found the best Midway I could based on my real life appreciation of how they look, then I used ADE to edit out all the modern objects such as towers, hangars etc. That was before I had a PC meltdown and had to do a rebuild of FSX in the process I seem to have lost or not put back in some object libraries. I need to fix it because I spent a lot of time getting the Pan Am Lodges looking right they way they were.

Anyway when I finish repairs I will look at putting it together as a discreet release. You will need Cal Classic Objects Libraries- they have the best period object pieces around. I also need to convert the runways back into a rolled coral surface not bitumen. It was after all called Sand Island.

In the Atoll lagoon outside the Clipper Base and Lodge:

Midway from the air departing:

What I cannot change is the lagoons to the rear of the Clipper aircraft which on the spit is where Pan Am had the lodge. The lagoon next to it and the reef channel the dark blue in the lagoon were created by the USN in WW2 to get a dock berth facility for large ships is WW2 they blasted the holes into existence. Pan Am used to land on the lagoon in the Atoll. Fascinating the Hotels were prefab from San Fransisco and they took them on a ship unloaded the stuff of barges and a team of builders set to putting them all together living out of tents and using the ship for water and food. They did an amazing job. It is a pity they are now lost although the one on Wake Island lasted until the 1980s.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    RS - no not published because it is a mix of several different libraries and objects i did using ADE and Instant Scenery. Basically I found the best Midway I could based on my real life appreciation of how they look, then I used ADE to edit out all the modern objects such as towers, hangars etc. That was before I had a PC meltdown and had to do a rebuild of FSX in the process I seem to have lost or not put back in some object libraries. I need to fix it because I spent a lot of time getting the Pan Am Lodges looking right they way they were.

Anyway when I finish repairs I will look at putting it together as a discreet release. You will need Cal Classic Objects Libraries- they have the best period object pieces around. I also need to convert the runways back into a rolled coral surface not bitumen. It was after all called Sand Island.

In the Atoll lagoon outside the Clipper Base and Lodge:

Midway from the air departing:

What I cannot change is the lagoons to the rear of the Clipper aircraft which on the spit is where Pan Am had the lodge. The lagoon next to it and the reef channel the dark blue in the lagoon were created by the USN in WW2 to get a dock berth facility for large ships is WW2 they blasted the holes into existence. Pan Am used to land on the lagoon in the Atoll. Fascinating the Hotels were prefab from San Fransisco and they took them on a ship unloaded the stuff of barges and a team of builders set to putting them all together living out of tents and using the ship for water and food. They did an amazing job. It is a pity they are now lost although the one on Wake Island lasted until the 1980s.

Hi BendyFlyer...

I would be delighted if you can publish the "repaired" scenery sometimes... I´ve searched the Midway Clipper Hotel out of curiosity and found that:

Source:https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Midway_At..._Am_Hotel.html

Yes.... very impressive and it really hurts that this building/construction no longer exists...
    It seems that Midway Island struggles a sad life today when you take a Google map look on it...

Howsoever I wish a lot of fun doing your repair work on Midway like the Navy seabees - breaking the bitumen runway and compressing the corals for a old new runway .

Many greetings RS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gl4.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0