CFS3 ETO campaign report - RAF, Battle of Britain - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CFS3 ETO campaign report - RAF, Battle of Britain

By now, the boys are joining in the chase as the Huns try desperately to get away.

I'm soon tearing into my own chosen Dornier...

...who, though well holed, doesn't seem very interested in being shot down.

Meanwhile, another Hurricane has arrived and is curving in from the right.

I have eyes only for my original target, who is still airborne but seems to be wallowing.

So be it. I come around in a wide sweep, ready for another pass. As I come in, another Hurricane is blasting away at a bomber who's off to the right.

Soon, it'll be my turn again.

...to be continued!

I line up the Dornier carefully. I usually aim for a point between an engine and the fuselage, hoping to disable the latter or start a fire in a wing tank. Depending on how steady my hand is, sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't.

This time, it works very well indeed. My very first burst sets the Hun on fire and he falls away to the left.

This certainly makes up for his refusal to go down, after my first attack.

But then the Dornier recovers and levels off, though still well alight.

Predictably, this doesn't last. Next second, he rolls over onto his back and takes what writers given to melodrama like to call the final plunge.

Right - time to see if the boys have left any other targets for the boss to knock down.

...to be continued!

As it happens, there is one Dornier left. I can hear the boys on the R/T, telling me they're rejoining. But rather than wait, I go for the bomber myself. Rank hath its privileges and this is one such. I throttle back, slow down and take aim.

Once more, the results are rapid and impressive. I'm getting good at this, I tell myself smugly.

Down goes the Dornier. I don't see anyone get out. Some people are just plain unlucky, it seems.

I swing right, back towards friendly shores, and quickly get my bearings. I can see that I'm just south-west of the prominent triangular, flat headland of Dungeness.

I orbit slowly while the boys catch up...

...then set course westward for home. Back at base, we're congratulated on another good show. We seem to have wiped out the raid but for some reason I'm credited with just one kill. I'm pretty sure I got two, but sometimes these squadron intelligence officers can be hard to convince. Never mind - the squadron's had another good day, and that's the main thing.

PS somebody asked earlier about the green-tinted water. I've realised these are the .dds files cfs3h2o, cfs3h2on, cfs3h2of & cfs3h2or in the ETO folder effects/fxtextures. The former seems to be the one with the green rather than blue overall textures but I copied them all over to my CFS3 BOB install and they worked.

Before:

After:

Both pics, taken in QC in the same conditions, feature the bonus Klingon starship cloaked as a cloud and threatening Dover

SOH-CM-2020
    Nice specular shine on the Spitfire. I find Ankors shaders and the Pat's Bob Spits don't mix well because the skin treatment makes them shine like a Dulux ad.

BTW, I often find my kills poached by over-zealous wingmen. They follow the doomed aircraft down and, if they can land a few bullets, the intelligence officer (an oxymoron if ever there was one) assigns them the kill!

Members who have read this thread: 5