Should I do P3D and 4.5 or 5?

Thread: Should I do P3D and 4.5 or 5?

Should I do P3D and, if so, 4.5 or 5?

So, I had pretty much decided to stay on FSX and Steam. I'll certainly be upgrading to 2020 not toooo long after it's released.

I've got I'd say a couple thousand dollars invested in FSX payware, A2A, MilViz, Carenado, Flight Replicas, Orbx, UTX and the like.

I was pretty happy, but... I'm a Corsair freak and the MilViz FG-1D looks super nice and it might kick me over the edge...

So I'm contemplating upgrading to P3D - cost of the software isn't a huge issue, but I'm not psyched on buying a new computer at the moment, I'd probably buy it and a couple A2A planes and with all the planes available here that would be plenty for me...

But now I'm wondering if I dive in now, should I go 5 or 4.5, given 2020 will be out in a year? And can my computer(s) handle it?

My computer specs:

My main one is old but usable:
    i7-950 running at 3.8 GHz, 18 GB memory, GTX-1050, a few TB of internal disks (though I'd probably replace a 250 GB with a 5TB), FSX-SP2 Boxed

My newer one is:
    i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz, 16 GB memory, RTX-2070 Super, 2x1GB Flash and a 5TB internal, FSX-Steam
    Still kind of old hardware but, again, usable

I've had the newer one for a while, but so much invested in the other rig plus lots of other software (I do some home recording) and I've been having some scenery crashing issues I haven't switched over yet and still use my old rig mostly.

I'd probably install P3D on my newer rig.

Thanks,

I searched a few pages through but didn't see any other threads as basic as this. IOW, starting new with P3D, which should I choose?
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; April 21st, 2020 at 10:46.

Your systems can certainly handle P3D v4.5. P3D v5 required DirectX 12.
    LM just released Hotfix 3 for v4.5 that fixed a bunch of bugs that v5 did as well.

If you can justify your academic status to LM (and yourself) you can get either for $60.

Being based on my gut feeling, there is only one answer: Go with v5, when you want to decide between 4.5 and 5. You have to bear in mind that - if you bought 4.5 and maybe are keen on 5 in a few weeks - you have to buy 5 again!!! So it is a much harder decision as compared to 4.4 and 4.5, where you have to buy 4.4 only and simply can do an upgrade to 4.5.

In my opinion, wait a few weeks more, than many v5 questions regarding bugs and compatibility may be answered .....
    Best regards, Manfred.

Thanks for the insights guys...

I should have added

Old system is Win7, New system is Win10. So if I'm going to go v5 I assume it'll have to be on a Win10 system for DX12. I'm not completely averse to upgrading the old computer to Win10, but, I think the new system would be a better fit for it anyway.

Is 16 GB enough for v5?

I will be using it for flight training, hoping to get back in the air again by the summer.
    Plus, I volunteer with the Collings foundation, so, I'm hoping to try my hand at some warbirds someday.

Not to mention I'm also contemplating using it Professionally someday in their museum for educational/STEM purposes for kids, so this is a trial run for myself with it to see if it's possible. Yes, I'm well aware that I'll need to be negotiating with LM if it comes to that. No worries.

Your intentions sound very interesting!

Regarding the specs, 16 GB GPU is fine if you are not running massively addons, but with for example ORBX, several addon airports and aircraft, REX, AI and maybe TacPack 32 GB should be recommended (that's what I now remember, I have to expand my CPU as well...)
    Furthermore, v5 is only running DirectX12! That causes CTD if your settings in v5 and your hardware don't match exactly (please correct me anyone if I am wrong with this discription...) - because up to 4.5 the versions are running on DX11, and the graphics engine could adjust the VRAM at too many graphics workload. v5 with DX12 does not by that time...

In my opinion, v5 is able to be a serious rival compared to MS2020 and its big advantage is being already released! Even if it comes with some bugs initially, it might be a good choice for your intentions but I would wait some weeks before buying...

BTW: I really like your slogan "Flying'sCool"
    Best regards, Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Your intentions sound very interesting!

Regarding the specs, 16 GB GPU is fine if you are not running massively addons, but with for example ORBX, several addon airports and aircraft, REX, AI and maybe TacPack 32 GB should be recommended (that's what I now remember, I have to expand my CPU as well...)
    Furthermore, v5 is only running DirectX12! That causes CTD if your settings in v5 and your hardware don't match exactly (please correct me anyone if I am wrong with this discription...) - because up to 4.5 the versions are running on DX11, and the graphics engine could adjust the VRAM at too many graphics workload. v5 with DX12 does not by that time...
    I don't understand your concern about DX12? Both the 1050 and 2070 Super support it (although I understand the 1050 has a performance dip over DX11 with DX12). Now, Windows 7 is a different story... but, given my computers, unless I decide to want to run two at the same time to test multiplayer, P3d will go on my Win10 machine with the more capable graphics card (and more pristine overall install). And, I've been wanting to upgrade the other machine to Win10 anyway. Is there something else I don't understand?

BTW: I really like your slogan "Flying'sCool"
    Thanks

Regarding DX11/DX12:

Sorry if I did use a not-quite-correct term:

It's not a graphics card issue, only a matter of the different usage of the different versions P3Dv4.5 and v5. V5 only support DX12 - DX11 is not supported any longer (as far as I know...). That means if your graphics settings in v5 will use more than a critical amount of VRAM, you can get a CTD. Version 4.5 by using DX11 could accommodate this by better balancing the graphics requirements.
    Not sure about it but in other forums users are discussing this may be the reason MSFS 2020 will come with DX11 at first to get all heavy graphics requirements done. DX12 may be an option later for sure.
    To all experts: Please don't grill me if my technical elucidations are not top-notch...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Regarding DX11/DX12:

Sorry if I did use a not-quite-correct term:

It's not a graphics card issue, only a matter of the different usage of the different versions P3Dv4.5 and v5. V5 only support DX12 - DX11 is not supported any longer (as far as I know...). That means if your graphics settings in v5 will use more than a critical amount of VRAM, you can get a CTD. Version 4.5 by using DX11 could accommodate this by better balancing the graphics requirements.
    Not sure about it but in other forums users are discussing this may be the reason MSFS 2020 will come with DX11 at first to get all heavy graphics requirements done. DX12 may be an option later for sure.
    To all experts: Please don't grill me if my technical elucidations are not top-notch...

Members who have read this thread: 0