JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D
Page 1 of 19 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D

Blog Entries

JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D

Hello everyone,

Arguably the best kept secret in March 2020 (perhaps second after a grocery store still stocking toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and flour ) has been a native conversion of the original Alphasim/Virtiavia F-4 model packs (1, 2, and 3). Both Penz and Postbaer61 have been cooking up some wonderful improvements to this model not only to convert it, but to enhance it. A few of us have been chiming in along the way, but this thread to track the on-going changes to the latest versions, and a place to showcase some simply stunning work done by these gents.

OK. Some basics:

Latest version: v1.2, available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=24&id=26521

Sim compatibility: Models are FSX and P3DV4.5 compliant; I've been testing in the latter newer sim, so others can comment on the FSX platform. Should work equally well in both.

Which of the original models covered: all models in each of the original 3 packs, with (so far) an extra model in pack 1 (see below). Subject to change, more (see below).

Standalone or extras needed: Thus far, v1.2 is an addon pack. It adds the models (exterior and VC), and panel contents. You'll still need the original FS9 pack for effects, the original paints, sounds, etc. Obviously, there's also various recommended sound packages and scores of repaints that you can add if/as desired. Note, there's a future version underway already, so this is subject to change.

Ok. Now some more detail. Here's what's in each of the packs so far (list adapted from Penz's original):

Pack 1
    0: F-4J with 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, 6 Mk 82 bombs and center tank.
    1: F-4J with 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, 6 bombs and center tank, alternate configuration.
    2: F-4B with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, and 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders.
    3: F-4B with 4 AIM-9 Sidewinders.
    4: Extra model F-4D with wing tanks and SUU-23A gun pod
    5: Extra model F-4J, clean configuration.
    6: Extra model F-4J with 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders and center tank

Pack2
    0: F-4C with wing tanks.
    1: F-4D, same configuration as model 4 in pack 1.
    2: F-4E with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders and wing tanks.
    3: F-4E with slatted wings. 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, wing tanks and jamming pod
    4: F-4F with wing tanks.
    5: F-4EJ with wing tanks.
    6: F-4G with AGM-88 HARM, AGM-45 Shrike, ALQ-119 ECM pod and wing tanks.

Pack 3
    0: FGR.1 with 2 ballast stores, 2 sidewinders and wing tanks.
    1: RF-4E with center and wing tanks.
    2: FG.1 with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, 4 AIM-9 Sidewinders, center and wing tanks.
    3: FGR.2 with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, gun pod and wing tanks.
    4: RF-4C with wing tanks.
    5: F.Mk.3 with 2 ballast stores (?), 2x2 wing tanks and travel pod on one of the port wing inner hardpoints.
    6: RF-4C with wing tanks and centerline tank.
    7: FGR.2 with wing tanks.
    8: F-4J(UK) with wing tanks.
    9: RF-4E with wing tanks.

More to follow ...

dl

Blog Entries
    Small sampling of the many models available. Some shots show repaints that can be added - no repaints are packaged with this pack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWg3vx9.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	75149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uvYvVAg.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	75148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huZR8Zl.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	75147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hs4TyEx.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	75146

Blog Entries
    More pics:

Name:	34TQLJf.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	75151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	75153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	882715857235034932.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	75152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23zGnjN.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	75150

Blog Entries
    For a future update, Penz, and Postbaer61 are working on further enhancements. Including (but not limited to) a modelled-in afterburner effect and actual working slime lights:

Name:	8aqdaXB.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	75154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dowO0b6.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	75156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eVJpNXx.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	75155

Thanks in advance gents, and credit to all the other posters who've posted in the various download discussion thread from whom I've captured both your comments and your screenshots.

Blog Entries
    Cross post from the v1.2 file thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Penz View Post
    For some reason I cannot quote posts at the moment ...

Please go ahead DL and post, the more the merrier. And thank you for the ballast units, I'm definitely still interested to learn about the "missing pieces"!

Now that's a proper afterburner Ulrich. Einfach toll.

I have been busy with the cockpits, and making the slime lights turn on and off with the virtual cockpit wing lights switch. Had to use the switch for something, hehe. All good fun.

I'n the long run I would consider removing all external stores and making clean base models, then add the stores back in with visibility conditions to allow for some kind of weapons configuration panel, and to make it easier to tacpack.

Cheers, JP
    Well, what can I say that you've really gone beyond what any of us were imagining.

Regarding stores, a visibility-condition configurator would be the "Mercedes Penz" approach. For non-tacpac folks, you'd be able to "expend" your ammunition before recovery (especially aboard carriers, where weight was critical) by taking off in a loaded condition and landing in a clean (or tanks only) condition.

Only you could be the judge of how much work it'd be and your willingness to do it. All I can do is postulate how warmly received it'd be, which I think it would most certainly be. I suppose the tradeoff would be fewer model configurations against more coding. Happy with any which way you take it, and if there's help that any of us can render, I'm confident you can count on it.

cheers,

dl

Thanks Delta-Lima, looks like a fantastic F-4 Phantom. Something to keep an eye out for. Please keep us posted of any developments.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Blog Entries
    Burned a little midnight oil, and after some testing, I found some performance numbers I'm a bit happier with.

Caveat: I'm not an .air edits guy, so it was tweaking a few numbers that seemed way off against some readily available data. No offence taken if folks don't agree or like these. The jet was undeniably overpowered in it's original release insofar as top speed, so this brings it in line with what data I could introduce into the sim.

Edits to the aircraft cfg: red = old, green = new

[TurbineEngineData]
    fuel_flow_gain= 0.002
    //inlet_area= 6.250
    inlet_area= 5.250
    //rated_N2_rpm= 29920.000
    rated_N2_rpm= 7900.000
    //static_thrust= 11875.000
    static_thrust= 11905.000
    afterburner_available= 1
    afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.80 //Percent of throttle range where AB begins
    reverser_available= 0.000

Feedback welcome.

dl

This is good news DL! I am on the verge of giving up on the SWS Phantom - currently finding the FM unflyable for some unknown reason (can't stop it wanting to pitch down), lack of forum support and don't fancing paying a second time just to have some more PBR shine.

A long standing phan of the AS F-4 model. But didn't people here do a native FSX model conversion and set of panels a while back?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    All F-4Cs/F-4Ds at LAFB 1974-76 had slime lights. Especially remember 584 with them.

A seriously overloaded Phantom!

All external stores are now categorized and attached to all 15 aircraft models with visibility conditions, so loadout can be configured by means of a "Weapons Configurator" panel (currently in production).

Available models: B, C, D, E, EJ, E (slatted wings), F, G, J, J UK, K (extensible front gear), GR.1, GR.2, RF-C and RF-E.

-JP
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Blog Entries
    Yeah, and the brake chute isn’t helping matters, either!

Great news on the stores selector.
    Last edited by delta_lima; April 7th, 2020 at 08:46.

I think I just died and went to heaven!! A weapons configurator panel? DAMN!!!

Priller

Think I used in the past the Pack 3, model 9 RF-4E with the USMC paints - there are good ones around - to look like an RF-4B (?).
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

JP,

Are you coordinating with PostBaer61 so that his PBR models for P3Dv4.x will also have the weapons load configurator? just a question!

Prller

A seriously overloaded Phantom!

All external stores are now categorized and attached to all 15 aircraft models with visibility conditions, so loadout can be configured by means of a "Weapons Configurator" panel (currently in production).
    Just great !
    My Military Flight Videos :

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Think I used in the past the Pack 3, model 9 RF-4E with the USMC paints - there are good ones around - to look like an RF-4B (?).
    Thanks Ex,

Yes, I had my wires crossed. The Pack 3 model 4 loadout (2x wing tanks) is most representative loadout currently available for wearing the "RF-4B" USMC paints.

Conversely, Pack 4 model 6 (2x wing tanks + centerline tank) is the most representative loadout currently available for the USAF RF-4C paints.

I say currently available, because with the stores selector, we'll be able to fly the RF-4 clean, or (if there were paints from the later USAF period), with the AN/ALQ-184 pod that was on the F-8G Wild Weasel model, or any combination thereof.

Thank JP and PB - I echo Priller's question - I assume so based on him having confirmed he was "PBRing" all the models that JP had converted; so my hope is he's converting the simplified "clean" models that will serve as the core onto which the stores can be added. But good to have confimed.

cheers,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Thanks Ex,

Yes, I had my wires crossed. The Pack 3 model 4 loadout (2x wing tanks) is most representative loadout currently available for wearing the "RF-4B" USMC paints.

Conversely, Pack 4 model 6 (2x wing tanks + centerline tank) is the most representative loadout currently available for the USAF RF-4C paints.

I say currently available, because with the stores selector, we'll be able to fly the RF-4 clean, or (if there were paints from the later USAF period), with the AN/ALQ-184 pod that was on the F-8G Wild Weasel model, or any combination thereof.

Thank JP and PB - I echo Priller's question - I assume so based on him having confirmed he was "PBRing" all the models that JP had converted; so my hope is he's converting the simplified "clean" models that will serve as the core onto which the stores can be added. But good to have confimed.

cheers,

dl
    Where's the "like" button??

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    JP,

Are you coordinating with PostBaer61 so that his PBR models for P3Dv4.x will also have the weapons load configurator? just a question!

Prller
    There is no coordination whatsoever, Priller.

In the long term we will probably see a merge though; I have plans to dress up the FSX models with bumps and specs, and to use Ulrich's bump textures once they're done. Probably the burner too.

Development "artwork" for the config panel (I hate doing stuff like that, you can spend so much time moving a few pixels around, lol!).
    The blue squares represent valid hardpoints, they turn green once selected.

-JP

Thank You Very Much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I worked on "C" models for a few years, brings back a lot of memories, got my first backseat ride in a F-4C, a great Aircraft.

A question: Can the old repaints for FS9 be used for this update ?

One more: Are there anymore updates coming ? (Don't want to add repaints if there are more updates in the works)
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

Quote Originally Posted by T Square View Post
    Thank You Very Much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I worked on "C" models for a few years, brings back a lot of memories, got my first backseat ride in a F-4C, a great Aircraft.

A question: Can the old repaints for FS9 be used for this update ?

One more: Are there anymore updates coming ? (Don't want to add repaints if there are more updates in the works)
    1: Yes, in the current form all old repaints can be used.
    2: There certainly are more updates coming. First will probably be Ulrich's PBR models, then the "NG" version with configurable loadouts and improved cockpit functionality. After that - who knows?

-JP

Blog Entries
    Thanks for clarifying the PBR model issue, JP. Yes, am looking forward to those, but the stores configuration is what I'm really stoked about. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with your layout /design for the stores selector. More intuitive than some payware I've had ...

The ECM pod (my mistake for earlier calling it the AN/ALQ-184 - that's the more recent version) - is "AN/ALQ-119", accuracy matters. No biggie if not. I know space is tight on the description field.

I think there was an AIM-4 Falcon somewhere in Pack 2, (I'm admittedly less familiar with that pack) but I can't recall which model it was and I'm at work so can't check. Not that anyone would mourn if this loadout was omitted .... given how poorly that missile worked in combat conditions.

cheers,

dl

PS - as per JP - the FS9 repaints are superb. In hindsight, some of the Gus Robotto paints while beautifully detailed, I find the stenciling a bit overpowering. But they're still lovely. Markus Hellwig's German repaints of the RF-4 are delightful, and Steve Bryant (Duckie)'s naval/USMC paints are my personal favourites. They literally have not aged whatsoever on this model. Absolutely stunning, even after all these years. Raid the SOH and Avsim libraries for your particular Phavourite Phlavour of Phantom - time to dust off those jewels.

Thanks for this great new thread, DL

Sorry, i'm a little bit late to the party, but during the weekend i hadn't much time.
    I have currently finished Pack 1 and pack2 with PBR texturing and installing the afterburner effects.
    Now I'm a little bit unsure whether to finish Pack3 and release all three PBR packs ,
    or should I wait for JP's "Weapons Configurator" versions and then finish all three packs with the new feature.
    This would avoid, to do the conversions twice.

btw all old repaints will work in the PBR version too.

a little more glossy PBR version for airshow variants

Cheers
    Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Postbaer61 View Post
    Thanks for this great new thread, DL

Sorry, i'm a little bit late to the party, but during the weekend i hadn't much time.
    I have currently finished Pack 1 and pack2 with PBR texturing and installing the afterburner effects.
    Now I'm a little bit unsure whether to finish Pack3 and release all three PBR packs ,
    or should I wait for JP's "Weapons Configurator" versions and then finish all three packs with the new feature.
    This would avoid, to do the conversions twice.

btw all old repaints will work in the PBR version too.

a little more glossy PBR version for airshow variants

https://i.postimg.cc/VvdBXvzw/Capture.jpg

Cheers
    Ulrich
    That AB effect sure look good!

Did you get the three supplemental Pack 3 models that were released and bundled in the Pack 3 paintkit?

They are:
    Model 10: FGR2 (Early) - no RWR on the tail.
    Model 11: RF-4B
    Model 12: RF-4B/C (Late)

You can find the paint kits on the Virtavia freeware pages.

Dave

Ah, that's where they were - thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 13