JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D

Thread: JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D

Hello everyone,

Arguably the best kept secret in March 2020 (perhaps second after a grocery store still stocking toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and flour ) has been a native conversion of the original Alphasim/Virtiavia F-4 model packs (1, 2, and 3). Both Penz and Postbaer61 have been cooking up some wonderful improvements to this model not only to convert it, but to enhance it. A few of us have been chiming in along the way, but this thread to track the on-going changes to the latest versions, and a place to showcase some simply stunning work done by these gents.

OK. Some basics:

Latest version: v1.2, available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=24&id=26521

Sim compatibility: Models are FSX and P3DV4.5 compliant; I've been testing in the latter newer sim, so others can comment on the FSX platform. Should work equally well in both.

Which of the original models covered: all models in each of the original 3 packs, with (so far) an extra model in pack 1 (see below). Subject to change, more (see below).

Standalone or extras needed: Thus far, v1.2 is an addon pack. It adds the models (exterior and VC), and panel contents. You'll still need the original FS9 pack for effects, the original paints, sounds, etc. Obviously, there's also various recommended sound packages and scores of repaints that you can add if/as desired. Note, there's a future version underway already, so this is subject to change.

Ok. Now some more detail. Here's what's in each of the packs so far (list adapted from Penz's original):

Pack 1
    0: F-4J with 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, 6 Mk 82 bombs and center tank.
    1: F-4J with 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, 6 bombs and center tank, alternate configuration.
    2: F-4B with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, and 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders.
    3: F-4B with 4 AIM-9 Sidewinders.
    4: Extra model F-4D with wing tanks and SUU-23A gun pod
    5: Extra model F-4J, clean configuration.
    6: Extra model F-4J with 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders and center tank

Pack2
    0: F-4C with wing tanks.
    1: F-4D, same configuration as model 4 in pack 1.
    2: F-4E with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders and wing tanks.
    3: F-4E with slatted wings. 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, wing tanks and jamming pod
    4: F-4F with wing tanks.
    5: F-4EJ with wing tanks.
    6: F-4G with AGM-88 HARM, AGM-45 Shrike, ALQ-119 ECM pod and wing tanks.

Pack 3
    0: FGR.1 with 2 ballast stores, 2 sidewinders and wing tanks.
    1: RF-4E with center and wing tanks.
    2: FG.1 with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, 4 AIM-9 Sidewinders, center and wing tanks.
    3: FGR.2 with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, gun pod and wing tanks.
    4: RF-4C with wing tanks.
    5: F.Mk.3 with 2 ballast stores (?), 2x2 wing tanks and travel pod on one of the port wing inner hardpoints.
    6: RF-4C with wing tanks and centerline tank.
    7: FGR.2 with wing tanks.
    8: F-4J(UK) with wing tanks.
    9: RF-4E with wing tanks.

More to follow ...

dl

Blog Entries
    Small sampling of the many models available. Some shots show repaints that can be added - no repaints are packaged with this pack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWg3vx9.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	75149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uvYvVAg.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	75148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huZR8Zl.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	75147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hs4TyEx.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	75146

Blog Entries
    More pics:

Name:	34TQLJf.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	75151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	75153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	882715857235034932.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	75152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23zGnjN.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	75150

Blog Entries
    For a future update, Penz, and Postbaer61 are working on further enhancements. Including (but not limited to) a modelled-in afterburner effect and actual working slime lights:

Name:	8aqdaXB.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	75154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dowO0b6.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	75156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eVJpNXx.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	75155

Thanks in advance gents, and credit to all the other posters who've posted in the various download discussion thread from whom I've captured both your comments and your screenshots.

Blog Entries
    Cross post from the v1.2 file thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Penz View Post
    For some reason I cannot quote posts at the moment ...

Please go ahead DL and post, the more the merrier. And thank you for the ballast units, I'm definitely still interested to learn about the "missing pieces"!

Now that's a proper afterburner Ulrich. Einfach toll.

I have been busy with the cockpits, and making the slime lights turn on and off with the virtual cockpit wing lights switch. Had to use the switch for something, hehe. All good fun.

I'n the long run I would consider removing all external stores and making clean base models, then add the stores back in with visibility conditions to allow for some kind of weapons configuration panel, and to make it easier to tacpack.

Cheers, JP
    Well, what can I say that you've really gone beyond what any of us were imagining.

Regarding stores, a visibility-condition configurator would be the "Mercedes Penz" approach. For non-tacpac folks, you'd be able to "expend" your ammunition before recovery (especially aboard carriers, where weight was critical) by taking off in a loaded condition and landing in a clean (or tanks only) condition.

Only you could be the judge of how much work it'd be and your willingness to do it. All I can do is postulate how warmly received it'd be, which I think it would most certainly be. I suppose the tradeoff would be fewer model configurations against more coding. Happy with any which way you take it, and if there's help that any of us can render, I'm confident you can count on it.

cheers,

dl

Thanks Delta-Lima, looks like a fantastic F-4 Phantom. Something to keep an eye out for. Please keep us posted of any developments.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hello everyone,

Arguably the best kept secret in March 2020 (perhaps second after a grocery store still stocking toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and flour ) has been a native conversion of the original Alphasim/Virtiavia F-4 model packs (1, 2, and 3). Both Penz and Postbaer61 have been cooking up some wonderful improvements to this model not only to convert it, but to enhance it. A few of us have been chiming in along the way, but this thread to track the on-going changes to the latest versions, and a place to showcase some simply stunning work done by these gents.

OK. Some basics:

Latest version: v1.2, available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=24&id=26521

Sim compatibility: Models are FSX and P3DV4.5 compliant; I've been testing in the latter newer sim, so others can comment on the FSX platform. Should work equally well in both.

Which of the original models covered: all models in each of the original 3 packs, with (so far) an extra model in pack 1 (see below). Subject to change, more (see below).

Standalone or extras needed: Thus far, v1.2 is an addon pack. It adds the models (exterior and VC), and panel contents. You'll still need the original FS9 pack for effects, the original paints, sounds, etc. Obviously, there's also various recommended sound packages and scores of repaints that you can add if/as desired. Note, there's a future version underway already, so this is subject to change.

Ok. Now some more detail. Here's what's in each of the packs so far (list adapted from Penz's original):

Pack 1
    0: F-4J with 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, 6 Mk 82 bombs and center tank.
    1: F-4J with 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, 6 bombs and center tank, alternate configuration.
    2: F-4B with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, and 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders.
    3: F-4B with 4 AIM-9 Sidewinders.
    4: Extra model F-4D with wing tanks and SUU-23A gun pod
    5: Extra model F-4J, clean configuration.
    6: Extra model F-4J with 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders and center tank

Pack2
    0: F-4C with wing tanks.
    1: F-4D, same configuration as model 4 in pack 1.
    2: F-4E with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders and wing tanks.
    3: F-4E with slatted wings. 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, wing tanks and jamming pod
    4: F-4F with wing tanks.
    5: F-4EJ with wing tanks.
    6: F-4G with AGM-88 HARM, AGM-45 Shrike, ALQ-119 ECM pod and wing tanks.

Pack 3
    0: FGR.1 with 2 ballast stores, 2 sidewinders and wing tanks.
    1: RF-4E with center and wing tanks.
    2: FG.1 with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, 4 AIM-9 Sidewinders, center and wing tanks.
    3: FGR.2 with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, gun pod and wing tanks.
    4: RF-4C with wing tanks.
    5: F.Mk.3 with 2 ballast stores (?), 2x2 wing tanks and travel pod on one of the port wing inner hardpoints.
    6: RF-4C with wing tanks and centerline tank.
    7: FGR.2 with wing tanks.
    8: F-4J(UK) with wing tanks.
    9: RF-4E with wing tanks.

More to follow ...

dl

So there is a J model in paint pack 1 right? The "J" model had no IRST sensor under the nose. The "B" birds did. That how I can tell them apart.

Blog Entries
    No surprise with all that hanging off it, you need reheat just to taxi ...

Looks superb, JP. Sorry to hear about the snag - we're waiting patiently, and appreciate you're wanting to do a good job. Nice illumination cast from the nose gear light.

Thanks again!

dl

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    So there is a J model in paint pack 1 right? The "J" model had no IRST sensor under the nose. The "B" birds did. That how I can tell them apart.
    Yes, there was 2 x J models beforehand, and PJ added a third (model = 6). The B/N USN/USMC had the IRST, while the J/S USN/USMC didn't. There were a whole host of other, even more significant differences across all those models, but you're right, that's the easiest way to tell the B/N models from the J/S models.

As a partial aside, I own the three-book anthology by Andy Evans "F-4 Phantom - Comprehensive Guide for the Modeller" and highly recommend it. They're a moderately detailed overview of all the models, though lack the descriptive and anecdotal depth of say, Robert Prest's "F-4 Phantom, a Pilot's Story".

EDIT - just took a look - they're hard to get these days - upwards of $50 for a used, and into the hundreds per book. Bizarre. I paid around $30 new for each. I've got over 100 aviation books - I had no idea I was sitting on a gold mine!

Showtime 100

We could use another "J" model to add to the collection. This is Randy "Duke" Cunningham's bird. My brother was in this outfit at the time. CDR Cunningham transferred from VF-96 over to
    my outfit (VF-154) as the Operations Officer and brought over pictures of his mig kills taken thru gun cameras; one of the first things he did when he checked in at my outfit was hang his mig kill pictures on the ready room walls.

Last edited by gray eagle; April 17th, 2020 at 14:23.

We're already at the request stage?

Then I would like to request this one:

Ed??

Priller

I found my happy place ! Thanks, Ulrich.

So, .......now just to populate Lakenheath with some military aircraft and AI traffic (that's not FS9 code) in FSX ......
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Yes Sir! As a matter of fact, the new "Pack 1" will consist of only those two models, B and J, with selectable loadout, so you should be able to install any original repaint easily.

(Oops, DL beat me to it, haha!).

Oh, and thank you very much Priller! I'm very happy to be back in the groove again.

Cheers,
    JP
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Members who have read this thread: 15