JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D - Page 2
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D

Quote Originally Posted by Postbaer61 View Post
    I have currently finished Pack 1 and pack2 with PBR texturing and installing the afterburner effects.
    Now I'm a little bit unsure whether to finish Pack3 and release all three PBR packs ,
    or should I wait for JP's "Weapons Configurator" versions and then finish all three packs with the new feature.
    Wonderful shots Ulrich, you do great work!

If you can wait 4-5 days I can send you the finished "weaponized" models, with embedded lights, user controlled "slime lights" and all the trimmings, so you can focus on material conversion and adding the afterburner. You will also need a bit of my "modeldef.xml" with the custom entries, so MCX won't puke when loading the models, lol.

I know delays are always unpopular among consumers, but a "staggered" approach is, as far as I can see, the best way to avoid having to do the same thing twice, or more. I had to start all the models from scratch second time around, because the weapons are only separate Scenegraph nodes until MCX has had its hands on them and grouped them by material, so it's a matter of getting everything right in the very first pass.

Cheers,
    JP
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Quote Originally Posted by Penz View Post
    Wonderful shots Ulrich, you do great work!

If you can wait 4-5 days I can send you the finished "weaponized" models, with embedded lights, user controlled "slime lights" and all the trimmings, so you can focus on material conversion and adding the afterburner. You will also need a bit of my "modeldef.xml" with the custom entries, so MCX won't puke when loading the models, lol.

I know delays are always unpopular among consumers, but a "staggered" approach is, as far as I can see, the best way to avoid having to do the same thing twice, or more. I had to start all the models from scratch second time around, because the weapons are only separate Scenegraph nodes until MCX has had its hands on them and grouped them by material, so it's a matter of getting everything right in the very first pass.

Cheers,
    JP
    Thank you very much, JP, but only of base of your great work.

Sure i will wait, i'm no hurry. I'm looking forward to your new "weaponized" models.
    I will complete the pack 3 for me, to see if all new textures works as they should.
    I will send you the three WIP packs, when ready, that you get the bump maps and effect files and settings.

Cheers
    Ulrich

Blog Entries
    Hello Ulrich,

Thanks go to you for really prettying you these models. Your enhancements really do bring these old gems to current standards. The were quite well-modelled shape-wise to begin with, so the PBR really makes them pop.

As to sequence, it’s all in yours and JP’s hands, but here’s my view. Up until a month ago, these models were (especially for us P3D users) dearly loved “friends” who were no longer with us. Only the memories remained. But now, they’ve come back from the dead, as it were, and to impressive standards.

So if having the model work you two are doing converge takes an extra week, that’s nothing in the grand scheme of things. Even two weeks. We’re talking quality, and that’s always worth waiting for. There’s already a nice v1.2 to play with for folks that are really eager, and so in my view, I’m happy to wait.

I should be focused on my retro naval AI project anyway ...

Thanks again-it’s going to be great, that I know.

DL

@DL
    Thanks for the kind words, DL,
    As we all know ... anticipation is the greatest joy! Isn't' it?

@ Dave,
    Did you mean this ones ?

Cheers
    Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Postbaer61 View Post
    @ Dave,
    Did you mean this ones ?
    Cheers
    Ulrich
    Yes indeed, those are the beasties.
    It's the Pack 3 items that I'm wanting.

Dave

Rio Seat view

Wish there was a Rio seat view - I don't think there was one originally. It would of been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Wish there was a Rio seat view - I don't think there was one originally. It would of been interesting.
    Hi, Butch!

While in my usually monkeying around mode, I tried putting in the RIO position in my Alphasim PhantomII. I borrowed a RIO.bmp from a freeware Dino F-14. It works OK...close enough for Govt. work!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4 phantom.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	75316

VC view

Name:	VC F4.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	75317

RIO View

Name:	RIO.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	75318
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

The model I want most that Virtavia missed making is an F-4B or F-4J with air to air, one center or two wing tanks and no bombs. I use the first model in Pack 2 (USAF F-4C) which is clean save for two wing tanks. Assume this is all sovled by having the load out options at some point?

Really like the photo bird in SEA camo also!

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    The model I want most that Virtavia missed making is an F-4B or F-4J with air to air, one center or two wing tanks and no bombs. I use the first model in Pack 2 (USAF F-4C) which is clean save for two wing tanks. Assume this is all sovled by having the load out options at some point?

Really like the photo bird in SEA camo also!

Hi Ex,

JP created a J with centreline tanks and AIM-9s as part of 1.2. It’s model 6 in Pack 1. That should tide you through until the version with stores configurator is released.

Yeah. The RFs... my beauties, aren’t they? For my taste most of the originally included paints are too old and basic in relation to how good the model still is. Thankfully there’s repaint solutions for that. For SEA USAF C recce birds, I recommend Russel Smith’s repaints. He did 3, if memory serves. They’re on Avsim.

https://library.avsim.net/sendfile.p...ImageID=246647

Also on Avisim are a bunch of TPS USMC RF-4s by Mike Pearson that are nice. Am repeating myself but don’t mind when I say Steve Bryant’s paints make this look like payware, as do Marcus Hellwig’s German Air Force paints.

Thanks for the steer DL.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Hi, Butch!

While in my usually monkeying around mode, I tried putting in the RIO position in my Alphasim PhantomII. I borrowed a RIO.bmp from a freeware Dino F-14. It works OK...close enough for Govt. work!

VC view

RIO View
    I'm glad YOU like it, Zip, but bear in mind those are two totally different radar systems.
    The F-14 radar is a LOT more up-to-date than the Phantom ever had. Not just it's capabilities, but everything.

Heck, in 1980, I remember getting modules for the F-4 radar I was working on that were under warranty from Westinghouse (we called it The Circle Bar W. Check their emblem ) until 1960. The warranty ran out in 1960. What's that say about when they were MADE???

I know for sure the Tomcat had much newer radar systems in it. Including the RIO's pit. ESPECIALLY the RIO's office

Just a little detail to bear in mind
    Good flying to ya!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Going to take a little while longer before I'm finshed with the weaponized models - I found a couple of things to improve on that I really want to implement.

Not least, I found this diagram describing how the "approach lights" on the front wheel door work, in a RL Phantom document:

In the current 1.2 version I deleted those lights from the models that had them. But now I know how they are supposed to work, I'll have to include them, and make them work correctly, of course!

-JP

Thanks for the update JP!!

Priller

Pack 3 is nearly ready, here some impressions.

WOW!! Looking brilliant PB!!

Priller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Penz View Post
    Going to take a little while longer before I'm finshed with the weaponized models - I found a couple of things to improve on that I really want to implement.

Not least, I found this diagram describing how the "approach lights" on the front wheel door work, in a RL Phantom document:

In the current 1.2 version I deleted those lights from the models that had them. But now I know how they are supposed to work, I'll have to include them, and make them work correctly, of course!

-JP
    That's way cool. Will you set them up as repeaters of what the cockpit AoA indicator reads, or vice-versa?

Though I obviously know how they work(ed) in real life, I've never considered these working accurately in FSX/P3D, since I don't fly multiplayer to see a pilot come aboard and see these lights in proper operation. I wonder if other planes such as Razbam A-7 or Aerosoft F-14 have these working accurately - I've never heard of it, since I can't see it in operation from the VC - so it could be a first, but again, I could very well be wrong. It'd be cool to watch as LSO from the FCLP hut and see fellow multiplayer pilots come in and see these operating correctly.

Ulrich, those shots look simply delightful. It's quite a feat to bring these models material qualities to PBR standards, and I'm duly impressed. The work you and JP are doing will undoubtedly result in an amazing anthology of Phantoms. Especially for those models outside of the B/N/S/J where there are ready payware alternatives, the Brit and RF models would have been buried otherwise, so it's a rich and lovely assortment for Phantom phans, and a great tribute to the original AS folks, as well as the modders and repainters that added to it over the last decade and a half.

Thanks again to you both.

Kind regards,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    That's way cool. Will you set them up as repeaters of what the cockpit AoA indicator reads, or vice-versa?
    Yeah, I'm gonna use the values from the cockpit AoA gauge as a guideline for coding the light visibility conditions. They are considerably lower than the values given in the table I posted. Like I mentioned above, the lights are embedded in some of the original models, so maybe they worked in FS9, I don't know.

Also I wholeheartedly agree, Ulrich is doing an awesome job!

-JP

PS: I absolutely love pack 3! Both the RR engine models and the RF's.

Blog Entries
    Hi - I had a couple people pm me about the Russel Smith RF-4C SEA repaints.

They're on avsim, search for "Russel Smith Alphasim Phantom" - you'll get all his Phantom repaints, including the RF-4s:

https://library.avsim.net/search.php...Go=Change+View

They're pretty good.

dl

V1.2 is a true classic! Having a bunch of fun enjoying a great Phantom package!

One issue I am noticing is the ground effects (concrete, sparks, or something) stays with the plane after takeoff. So you can see the smoke, etc on the take off role at the wheel level and then when you take off and climb the aircraft the effects are still there but you need to zoom out a bit to see it - the effects follow the model - like a smoke trail that is 50 to 150 feet below the aircraft. This is the case with all 3 packs.

I tried to turn off the effects for this in the CFG file but was not successful.

Any ideas on how to remove this?
    cdavid

Quote Originally Posted by cdavid View Post
    V1.2 is a true classic! Having a bunch of fun enjoying a great Phantom package!

One issue I am noticing is the ground effects (concrete, sparks, or something) stays with the plane after takeoff. So you can see the smoke, etc on the take off role at the wheel level and then when you take off and climb the aircraft the effects are still there but you need to zoom out a bit to see it - the effects follow the model - like a smoke trail that is 50 to 150 feet below the aircraft. This is the case with all 3 packs.

I tried to turn off the effects for this in the CFG file but was not successful.

Any ideas on how to remove this?
    Thank you cdavid!

There are no effects embedded in the V1.2 models except for the landing light and the wing tip lights. What you're seeing is probably artifacts from one of the effects tied to the engine, in the [lights] section ("fx_contrail_Virtavia Phantom.fx", "fx_engine_Virtavia Phantom.fx" and "fx_reheat_Virtavia Phantom.fx"). These FS9 effects are not working 100% flawlessly in FSX or P3D. I really ought to find a replacement.

Cheers,
    JP
    Last edited by Penz; April 13th, 2020 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hi - I had a couple people pm me about the Russel Smith RF-4C SEA repaints.

They're on avsim, search for "Russel Smith Alphasim Phantom" - you'll get all his Phantom repaints, including the RF-4s:

https://library.avsim.net/search.php...Go=Change+View

They're pretty good.

dl
    They're also available @ FltSim as well as 3 excellent RF-4C repaints by Zsolt.

Cheers

The Old Master Sergeant

Something that I find irritating about the navy phantoms (even SWS ) is the two position nose gear doesn't actually raise the nose, it's just an animation. AoA should increase, view from the cockpit should change. I believe there is a solution; https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...erride.433844/ I think I know how to tweak the animation, if you want to give it a try. It should also fix the lights issue.

Sonic Boom

Now if this effect could be added (0.47) I like the vapor plume also......

Members who have read this thread: 13