RFN F-8 Crusader is out!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: RFN F-8 Crusader is out!!

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Hi DL,

Thanks for the reply. I spotted that unusal step in the manual. If I press the key normally assigned for brakes "." on then off - I then hear the sound the default AP function makes i.e. for most when you press "z" - but the engaged lights stay off and the ALT hold button doesn't stay on. I wonder if it may be my key assignments? I tried changing the repeat slider settings but it made not difference. Not sure I can retro fit another AP guage in a pop up in this bird that will work. Sure flies well trimmed up with no AP! Love this aircraft.
    I was actually trying another A/P gauge and couldn't get it to function correctly. I gave up! I'll have to keep a watch on this thread to see if there is a correction made! Thanks for the heads up!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Hi DL,

Thanks for the reply. I spotted that unusal step in the manual. If I press the key normally assigned for brakes "." on then off - I then hear the sound the default AP function makes i.e. for most when you press "z" - but the engaged lights stay off and the ALT hold button doesn't stay on. I wonder if it may be my key assignments? I tried changing the repeat slider settings but it made not difference. Not sure I can retro fit another AP guage in a pop up in this bird that will work. Sure flies well trimmed up with no AP! Love this aircraft.
    Hi,
    I'm not sure to catch exactly what you're trying to do.
    The way the AP system was design in the F-8 needs a 2 step action to have any AP function activated:
    1- Arm AP using the Autopilot master switch
    2- Engage the Auotpilot. You can use the jostick trigger (if it mapped with the brakes) or press Z

Note that the AP FS sound is played when FS switch off the autopilot. Typically, it happens if you try to activated AP by pressing Z without having previously armed the AP Master switch!
    Note also that "Alt AP" needs the Autopilot to be engaged first. If not, the switch will not stay in "On" position.

BR
    S.

[SMOKESYSTEM]

smoke.1 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for canopy jettison
    smoke.2 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for catapult vapor effect
    smoke.3 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for Dim Nav light command
    smoke.4 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for Dim Strip light command
    smoke.5 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for Dim Tail light command
    smoke.6 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for Switch light & Primary Power control
    smoke.7 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for Switch light & Emergency Power control
    smoke.8 = 19.50, 0.00, 0.80, fx_F-8_vclight ; eclairage habitacle complémentaire
    smoke.9 = 19.50, 0.00, 0.80, fx_F-8_vclight ; eclairage habitacle complémentaire
    smoke.10 = 18.80, 0.00, 1.10, fx_F-8_vclight_low ; eclairage habitacle complémentaire
    smoke.11 = 18.80, 0.00, 1.10, fx_F-8_vclight_Med ; eclairage habitacle complémentaire
    smoke.12 = 18.80, 0.00, 1.10, fx_F-8_vclight_Hi ; eclairage habitacle complémentaire

smoke.13= -22.0, 0.0, 0.0, fx_cruz_afterburner_1_FSX.fx , // Afterburner AB min
    smoke.14= -21.0, 0.0, 0.0, fx_cruz_afterburner_2_FSX.fx , // Afterburner AB min
    smoke.15= -25.5, 0.0, 0.0, fx_cruz_afterburner_3_FSX.fx , // Afterburner AB max
    smoke.16 = -22.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_F8_engsmoke <<<< This is effect I added.
    The engine already has different kind of smokes according Engine N1 percent. This is hard coded into the mdl and call different dedicated effect files. If you prefer to use different effect files, I recommand you to change my F-8 smoke files content than adding an extra effect into the aircraft.cfg.
    Regards,
    S.

OK, I'm good as far as a quick popup A/P gauge working. Also have Casper the friendly ghost outside my windscreen. Probably forgot the windscreen defog!@sparouty this is a great flying aircraft! The popup A/P is just a handy convenience.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F8 Autopilot.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	74534
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Hi,
    I'm not sure to catch exactly what you're trying to do.
    The way the AP system was design in the F-8 needs a 2 step action to have any AP function activated:
    1- Arm AP using the Autopilot master switch
    2- Engage the Auotpilot. You can use the jostick trigger (if it mapped with the brakes) or press Z

Note that the AP FS sound is played when FS switch off the autopilot. Typically, it happens if you try to activated AP by pressing Z without having previously armed the AP Master switch!
    Note also that "Alt AP" needs the Autopilot to be engaged first. If not, the switch will not stay in "On" position.

BR
    S.
    Thanks Sylvain - wonderful work on this. Have had no problems with launches and traps or much else.

Autopilot Master = "Z"
    Brakes = "." and also set to a button

After I switch on the master switch, I then press the brake "." or assigned brake button on - then off - and I hear the AP Master sound twice, but the AP engage light does not light. If I press "Z" on - then off - I hear the same sound twice but no engage light comes on.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

OK, I'm good as far as a quick popup A/P gauge working.
    Ah the Lavigne & co Falcon F50 AP - know it well!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by simulloyd View Post
    I agree this is a very beautiful Crusader. The cockpit textures and switches are superb!
    I too intend to alias to the Milviz F-100. I also noticed that I had no exhaust effect so will be adding some smoke.
    There is an exhaust effect but it's smoky only at low throttle settings. 50% (approximately) and below and mine isn't visible immediately. I couldn't find an effects gauge for it so I could reverse it. Didn't see an engine smoke effect in the lights or smoke section either.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    OK, I'm good as far as a quick popup A/P gauge working. Also have Casper the friendly ghost outside my windscreen. Probably forgot the windscreen defog!@sparouty this is a great flying aircraft! The popup A/P is just a handy convenience.

Defog switch is on the outboard side of three toggle switched on the front of the RH panel. (Iffin you didn't spot it already.)

Ah the Lavigne & co Falcon F50 AP - know it well!
    Now the "real" trick. I found that if I take off and get the wheels up and then set up the A/P and engage, all works as expected. All the proper lights are lit. It was trying it on the ground before takeoff that screwed it up. (of course, I pause the Sim while doing the setup)!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    Defog switch is on the outboard side of three toggle switched on the front of the RH panel. (Iffin you didn't spot it already.)
    Yep, know where it is, just forgot to flip it on!

OK, this is interesting. I tried the F50 AP. What is strange is that when pressing the AP "on" button, the AP sound is heard both when it is turned on, but also again and unusually when it is switched off. The F50 AP did not light up the AP button when I tried it in the RFN F8 or function. I switched to another aircraft and was able to use the AP normally.

OK, this is interesting. I tried the F50 AP. What is strange is that when pressing the AP "on" button, the AP sound is heard both when it is turned on, but also again and unusually when it is switched off. The F50 AP did not light up the AP button when I tried it in the RFN F8 or function. I switched to another aircraft and was able to use the AP normally.
    I also changed the [Autopilot] section in the aircraft.cfg. Set up after takeoff!

[autopilot]
    autopilot_available=1
    flight_director_available=1
    default_vertical_speed=1800.0
    autothrottle_available=0
    autothrottle_arming_required= 0
    autothrottle_max_rpm = 99.9
    autothrottle_takeoff_ga= 0
    pitch_takeoff_ga=8 ;
    max_pitch=20.0
    max_pitch_acceleration=3.0
    max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt=4.0 //2.0
    max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt=3.0 //1.5
    max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt_breakpoint=20000.0
    max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt_breakpoint=28000.0
    max_bank=30
    max_bank_acceleration=2.7 //1.8
    max_bank_velocity=4.0 //3.00
    max_throttle_rate=0.20 //0.10
    nav_proportional_control=11.00
    nav_integrator_control=0.20
    nav_derivative_control=0.00
    nav_integrator_boundary=2.50
    nav_derivative_boundary=0.00
    gs_proportional_control=9.52
    gs_integrator_control=0.26
    gs_derivative_control=0.00
    gs_integrator_boundary=0.70
    gs_derivative_boundary=0.00
    yaw_damper_gain = 1.0
    direction_indicator=1
    attitude_indicator=1

I also changed the [Autopilot] section in the aircraft.cfg. Set up after takeoff!
    Thanks. To be clear, to fix the same problem? If so, which entries fixed it?

Thanks. To be clear, to fix the same problem? If so, which entries fixed it?
    I was tinkering with different entries just to see how it affected the A/P. I added the bottom 2 entries from the original [Autopilot] file.

[autopilot]
    autopilot_available=1
    flight_director_available=1
    default_vertical_speed=1800.0
    autothrottle_available=0
    autothrottle_arming_required= 0
    autothrottle_max_rpm = 99.9
    autothrottle_takeoff_ga= 0
    pitch_takeoff_ga=8 ;
    max_pitch=20.0
    max_pitch_acceleration=3.0
    max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt=4.0 //2.0
    max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt=3.0 //1.5
    max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt_breakpoint=20000.0
    max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt_breakpoint=28000.0
    max_bank=30
    max_bank_acceleration=2.7 //1.8
    max_bank_velocity=4.0 //3.00
    max_throttle_rate=0.20 //0.10
    nav_proportional_control=11.00
    nav_integrator_control=0.20
    nav_derivative_control=0.00
    nav_integrator_boundary=2.50
    nav_derivative_boundary=0.00
    gs_proportional_control=9.52
    gs_integrator_control=0.26
    gs_derivative_control=0.00
    gs_integrator_boundary=0.70
    gs_derivative_boundary=0.00
    yaw_damper_gain = 1.0
    direction_indicator=1
    attitude_indicator=1
    Tried this entire AP entry and still no results. Sylvain, I know well that these problems are local 90% of the time but I have done an entire fresh download and have not changed any of my settings recently so there may be some other gauge or setting that is inhibiting the AP from switching on.

Be interested to heaar from others if I am the only one experiencing AP issues.

Can't stop looking at and flying her in the meantime . .

... so there may be some other gauge or setting that is inhibiting the AP from switching on.

Be interested to heaar from others if I am the only one experiencing AP issues. . .
    Yes, the Crusader dll is controlling AP to prevent pilot to activated AP with gears down. You can try to use any AP gauge of your choice, the dll will overwrite, by intercept AP activation event, and switch off AP if you're not in the right configuration.
    Regards,
    Sylvain

Thanks Sylvain.

I am still not having any luck finding the right configuration. What other settings could cause the dll to think the gears are down or otherwise overwrite the AP function?

By the way. I am using P3D 4.5.

Hi Jankees,
    your Crusader repaints are really beautiful... looking forward to the next one(s)!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

fuselage, almost there. need detailing now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-3-14_15-58-12-522.jpg  

What an outstanding airplane! Thanks to all involved..I finally got the AP to work but not the radar. I know where the fire control and radar panels are located but the power and other knobs will not function. Am I missing something? A gauge perhaps........Need a Marine paint!

the next ones, just uploaded:
    jk5433

jk5437

jk5443

jk5450
    Last edited by jankees; March 14th, 2020 at 10:54.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

whoaw, le cruz il pousse!

ok job done for tdy! upper wing next .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-3-14_19-9-39-669.jpg   2020-3-14_19-11-45-798.jpg   2020-3-14_19-13-49-6.jpg   2020-3-14_19-13-59-271.jpg  

Jan...have I mentioned lately that you are a GOD?

Just saying...

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Jan...have I mentioned lately that you are a GOD?

Just saying...

Kent
    sorry, complete atheist here
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Members who have read this thread: 4