DCS World 2.5.6 Performance Issues

Thread: DCS World 2.5.6 Performance Issues

DCS World 2.5.6 Performance Issues

Hi all,

Is anyone else experiencing performance issues with the new 2.5.6 Open Beta?

I was a bit slow updating, mainly due to the large update size, so I only did it about a week ago. Today I loaded up the campaign I had been using previously, the F/A-18 Hornet Aggressors BFM campaign, and the performance was terrible. I had also just updated my graphics card drivers a night or two ago, but I made sure to delete the shaders and check the settings in the Nvidia control panel and in DCS. The performance was so bad I could not use it. It wasn't actually a slide show, but it was very stuttery and just very uncomfortable in VR. Looking on the DCS World forums I see that there is about a 20 page thread on the issue of performance with the 2.5.6 update. I have not tried it myself, but apparently this last weekend update did not improve it.

I am currently rolling back to the last 2.5.5 version, and that is a 48 GB download, so I'm hoping I get my performance back to normal after that.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

I don't know about VR, but using monitor and TIR, performance has increased for me.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

After my PC's CPU and MB died last December (and was factory repaired), after I reinstalled DCS I had similar issues even with the original settings restored which baffled me. DCS looked great but the performance was crappy considering I am running an i7-8700k, 32gb ram, and a GTX 1080 @8gb. I ended up running a lot of tests on the settings and found that the best performance (near or better than my previous install) was best if I used my Nvidia control panel settings on various graphics settings in lieu of the DCS settings. I saw an increase in performance after that and especially with 2.5.6 Open Beta. I have heard directly from VR users who have had significant issues with this but I wonder if it would be worth a try to change the settings to rely on the Nvidia control panel over DCS settings? The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the GPU and VR manufacturers need to tweak and test their software/firmware (with ED working to verify it) to get things back to being parallel. Like others here, I have had my share of post update troubles as well after program and video driver updates. It's a real headache when the testing misses a good bit of things.

I hope you get this sorted and soon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah I'm running an 8 year old AMD 8150 and a 1080 ti
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

The VR guys in my group were having pretty bad FPS issues along with the servers many experienced. I waited to update and finally took the plunge last night in MP on the AO server, in time to watch the new sunrise! The Tomcat can be a pretty good FPS hog, but without any tweaks no issues for me and I'm still on the old TrackIR. I thought a few bugs were fixed, apparently not when my Grumman Iron Works machine explodes on CAT 3.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Every New Open Beta Update,and every time a install a new Graphics driver I delete these two folders ...fxo and metalshaders2 found in
    C/Users/Your Name/Saved Games/DCS Open Beta/. This seems to help with Performance in VR.DCS will re-create them on next start up.

Patrick

Victory, who do you fly with?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Thanks for the input guys, it's appreciated. Patrick, thanks for the advice, I also delete those shader folders after any update or change to graphics card settings or drivers, but this time it didn't make a difference for me.

I have reverted back to the last 2.5.5 version and performance seems to be back to normal, so I will wait for a while to see if any more improvements or optimisations are made before I update again.

Just for the sake of interest, here is a thread discussing the matter of performance in 2.5.6 on the DCS World forums:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=263428

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Victory, who do you fly with?
    JTF-1/CSG-1 (Viper) and CVW-8 (Tomcat).
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

What sqdn in JTF-1? 55th? Are you part of the The Viper Pit Discord?
    Last edited by Mach3DS; March 13th, 2020 at 21:39.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Yes/Yes and the Tomcat Discord. Now if could quit working/baby-sitting and + up my DCS time.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Yes/Yes and the Tomcat Discord. Now if could quit working/baby-sitting and + up my DCS time.
    haha you and me both brother!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 0