FSX Steam Edition: 1st Impressions

Thread: FSX Steam Edition: 1st Impressions

Icon25 FSX Steam Edition: 1st Impressions

Ok guys, goof afternoon for you.

Some of you may know that after a decade far away from simulators, I've returned and decide to reinstall first sp1 and sp2 - then acceleration and after a few lines her...took the Steam version.

First impression: smooth at frame ratios....
    Better scenerios and much more details, nice textures.....but I miss a lot of planes...can I "import" the default planes that I loke most to STEAM?

foo_fighte

Quote Originally Posted by luciano mesquita View Post
    ...can I "import" the default planes that I loke most to STEAM?
    Yes, simply copy/paste the entire airplanes folder into Steam's folders.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Ok, first, all the "default" planes in FSXA are in FSX:SE already. No need to import anything.
    Now, if you mean you can't import ADD-ON planes you had in FSX, that's an entirely different story. If they are payware, you have to re-install them into FSX:SE. As though you just got them from their manufacturer.
    If they're freeware, just copy them over to the FSX:SE Aircraft folder, from the old FSXA Aircraft folder. Make sure you copy over the gauges in the Gauges folder, and Effects folder over too. You'll want to install any Modules you had in FSXA too. Things like FSUIPC, and so on.
    Or re-install them, your choice. Freeware planes will install to FSX:SE just like they did to FSXA, as long a you point the installers to the right folder. Remember that Steam kind of buries FSX deeper in it's folder structure than normal FSX is.

IF, and this is a BIG if, you allowed Steam to install to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(X86), you've got other problems. More than likely a permissions problem. Windoze, especially Win10, has some real personal problems allowing any kind of changes to programs in those two folders. That includes adding things to them.

If they're in one of those two folders, it would be best, IMO, to uninstall completely. Not just FSX:SE, but the whole folder structure Steam installed. Then allow it to re-install to another folder. ANY other folder than those two. C:\, D:\Games, whatever.

Finally, if you just can't find the normal, default, planes you're looking for in FSX:SE, the Select Aircraft menu page, make sure you've got the "Show All Variations" radio button checked, lower right area of the page.

Let us know how things go
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Ok, first, all the "default" planes in FSXA are in FSX:SE already. No need to import anything.
    Now, if you mean you can't import ADD-ON planes you had in FSX, that's an entirely different story. If they are payware, you have to re-install them into FSX:SE. As though you just got them from their manufacturer.
    If they're freeware, just copy them over to the FSX:SE Aircraft folder, from the old FSXA Aircraft folder. Make sure you copy over the gauges in the Gauges folder, and Effects folder over too. You'll want to install any Modules you had in FSXA too. Things like FSUIPC, and so on.
    Or re-install them, your choice. Freeware planes will install to FSX:SE just like they did to FSXA, as long a you point the installers to the right folder. Remember that Steam kind of buries FSX deeper in it's folder structure than normal FSX is.

IF, and this is a BIG if, you allowed Steam to install to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(X86), you've got other problems. More than likely a permissions problem. Windoze, especially Win10, has some real personal problems allowing any kind of changes to programs in those two folders. That includes adding things to them.

If they're in one of those two folders, it would be best, IMO, to uninstall completely. Not just FSX:SE, but the whole folder structure Steam installed. Then allow it to re-install to another folder. ANY other folder than those two. C:\, D:\Games, whatever.

Finally, if you just can't find the normal, default, planes you're looking for in FSX:SE, the Select Aircraft menu page, make sure you've got the "Show All Variations" radio button checked, lower right area of the page.

Let us know how things go
    Pat☺
    Ohhhh I see....the payware and some freeware that use their own installer need to reinstall!! Very well then! Thanks!

I've noticed that FSX:SE is faster then FSX in therms of starting the simulator, is this a real fact?

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Ok, first, all the "default" planes in FSXA are in FSX:SE already. No need to import anything. Now, if you mean you can't import ADD-ON planes you had in FSX, that's an entirely different story. If they are payware, you have to re-install them into FSX:SE. As though you just got them from their manufacturer. If they're freeware, just copy them over to the FSX:SE Aircraft folder, from the old FSXA Aircraft folder. Make sure you copy over the gauges in the Gauges folder, and Effects folder over too. You'll want to install any Modules you had in FSXA too. Things like FSUIPC, and so on. Or re-install them, your choice. Freeware planes will install to FSX:SE just like they did to FSXA, as long a you point the installers to the right folder. Remember that Steam kind of buries FSX deeper in it's folder structure than normal FSX is. IF, and this is a BIG if, you allowed Steam to install to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(X86), you've got other problems. More than likely a permissions problem. Windoze, especially Win10, has some real personal problems allowing any kind of changes to programs in those two folders. That includes adding things to them. If they're in one of those two folders, it would be best, IMO, to uninstall completely. Not just FSX:SE, but the whole folder structure Steam installed. Then allow it to re-install to another folder. ANY other folder than those two. C:\, D:\Games, whatever. Finally, if you just can't find the normal, default, planes you're looking for in FSX:SE, the Select Aircraft menu page, make sure you've got the "Show All Variations" radio button checked, lower right area of the page. Let us know how things go Pat☺
    Forgot to ask about some posts I've seen talkin' about a steam "common" archive system,what is this?

Quote Originally Posted by luciano mesquita View Post
    Forgot to ask about some posts I've seen talkin' about a steam "common" archive system,what is this?
    They are probably talking about how Steam organizes its folder structure.
    For example, here's the path I have: D:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX
    You can command Steam to install anywhere, as you can see. I placed it on my computer's D:\ logical drive. Notice the folder one above the FSX folder is "common". Steam can, and will, most likely, place other things under the "common" folder. Once you open the FSX folder, it's organized just like the CD version of FSX is.
    Since I have a passion for tweaking FSX, adding things to it, etc, etc, I made a shortcut on my desktop to it. I also made ones for the FSX.cfg file's folder, and all the rest. I'm lazy, and don't want to have sit there double clicking my way down through the different folder structures to find the file(s) I want to work on.

Does this answer your question adequately? <-- Big word of the day, especially only 1/2 way through my first cuppa coffee.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

se edition is missing acceleration planes. they dont have the license to use them but you can port over the p51 cessna all of them and the fa18
    Cr1-Software.Ltd
    www.cr1-software.com

Your source for fine Flight Simulation enhancements!

Well, it may have changed since I bought FSX:SE, on the day it came out (couldn't resist a $5.00 sim!), but it came with all the same planes as FSXA. The C172, F/A-18, P51 Reno Racers, and so forth.
    I don't know what all planes the box version of FSX Accel comes with, since I never had it, but I know what FSX;SE came with, the day it first came out. It may well have changed since, but if I were a bettin' man, which I'm not, I'd wager it still comes with all the goodies that FSXA does. Same for the helicopters, ships, animals etc, etc.

But hey, I am often wrong. Story of my life
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas J Wood View Post
    se edition is missing acceleration planes. they dont have the license to use them but you can port over the p51 cessna all of them and the fa18
    FSX:SE has the AgustaWestland EH101, Boeing F/A-18, and North American P-51D. I believe those are the three Acceleration aircraft. The confusion may be because some third party add-ons will give a warning message that FSX Acceleration is not detected when FSX:SE is used. That may give the impression that Acceleration isn't in FSX:SE when that is not the case.

Members who have read this thread: 3