How to get FS9 nearly perfect

Thread: How to get FS9 nearly perfect

Hybrid View

Exclamation How to get FS9 nearly perfect

This video explains how you easily can improve the looks of FS2004, by just using freeware. Taff (rgatkinson) pointed me towards this video, so he deserves all the credits for finding it.

You could wonder how legal the conversion from the orbx ground textures is, but you could for instance also use Lynn and Bill Lyons Golden Wings textures like I did. Or use the ones included in Full Enviroment 9 or the ones by Howard Smith included in the FS2004 Extreme update package (available at Flightsim.com).

Enjoy and show your results,
    Huub

Many thanks to Taff and you for posting.

Interesting video, ideas and how to's etc all good...

Hopefully we can keep this post going with ideas etc.

Cheers

Shessi

Clouds

For me clouds are very important. Currently I am using HDE clouds by Pablo Diaz, but all replacement clouds I have used so far gave nice results.

The clouds I have used so far are: FS2004 FSW High Clouds Performance by the FSW Group (hifps.zip at Flightsim.com), Oscar clouds by Aime Leclercq (oscarcl3.zip at Flightsim.com) and HDE Environment by Pablo Diaz (HDE.zip at flightsim.com).

There are several cloud packages which I haven't tried, for instance the resized 3D Cloud textures (res3dcl5.zip) by Bart Dylkiewicz or the FS2004 Clouds With Improved Contrast (realskie.zip) by Sascha Rieger.

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub,
    many thanks for posting that video - I will watch it when I have more time than at present,
    regs,
    Ro

Members +
    Thanks for this.
    I've downloaded everything mentioned, now to install & to compare with what I have.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Ive been following your progress on this subject and some other post by you Huub over the past few day's. Ive suddenly had a FS9 revival, originally just to test on my new Window's 10 system, (which it installed with absolutely no problems ). But now ive decided that FS9 works perfectly for my historic,WW2 aircraft and FSX for my more complex post war jet and payware. I was going to ask about everyone's favorite tweaks, and your post of this vid answers most of my Q's. Im going to be spending a lot more time in the FS9 world

PS, puzzel'd about the Orbx, i never new they developed anything for FS9 let alone freeware ? I have Orbx Vector and Globle for FSX but as far as i know, its not backward compatible. I like the look of Horward Smiths add-on myself

PC Pilot freeware

I recently sent this link to my buddy Sbob, who suggested it might be of wider interest here

https://www.key.aero/pc-pilot-downloads-0

When I'm in the 2D Cockpit mode (Fullscreen), the GPS display flickers. Could this he a Graphics Card issue, or something else?

First up, finding a good Rafale.

I wanted to try to fix the Rafale M from the Abacus Carrier Strike Force package and tripped over this:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...-and-c-update/

Its an interesting package of a rare aircraft for FS9 with a great VC and tuned FD by Bob Chicilo. Ignore the FOR FSX ONLY stuff, however-

WARNING! While it works fine in my install, I haven't spent enough time with it to say it WON'T goof up your Sim.

The 3DO is a little limited but not that bad. The textures are good old DXT3 and won't cause any issues. The flight dynamics are VERY stable although there still is a tendency of having the plane barrel roll on the ground (but you really need to abuse it). I tried a basic install and didn't add any of the FSX gauges and the VC looks (and works) fine right out of the box.
    To be honest, this thing flies a little TOO good and the designer, Cyril Pioffet, was an obvious fan of the real aircraft while it was still in testing. The only thing you're missing for carrier flights is an arrestor hook in the 3DO but it will trap in the cable zone with the best of them. Recommended if you REALLY need a Rafale for FS9 and you're willing to take some chances with possible FSX dynamics issues and a fairly old paint scheme.

While I'm on the subject of French carrier aviation, MAIW has a really nice scenery and AI package for FRENCH RAFALES. The two main Rafale M bases are included (within a realistic distance of the MAIW Charles de Gaulle and the "local" Abacus Charles de Gaulle in the Eastern Med). MAIW includes a full set of VPCMod files.

Filling out your your French carrier experience, a quick search will turn up a nice repaint for the Abacus E-2C Hawkeye in Aeronavale markings:

I *think* this repaint is also available at the regular sites, but I snagged mine here:

https://www.fs2000.org/2014/06/17/fs...wkeye-4f-logo/

MAIW says the callsign for these Hummers should be "French Navy" but that seemed a little silly if they're flying over home turf so I went with the generic "Navy" callsign and a random number.

Abacus included the E-2 and the C-2 COD in their Flight Deck 4, 5, and 6 packages. While they're a bit goofy in real life as turboprops, don't sneeze at these two planes. They are a HANDFUL in FS9 when you're looking for a Three Wire landing and figuring them out will make you a better FS pilot.

Heading back to the US, I was also on the lookout for some "Eastern/Atlantic Fleet" texture sets for the E-2 and C-2. Normally, I look for textures done by Antonio Diaz but this time I spotted a texture set that covered ALL of the CODs of VAW-120 homeported at NS Norfolk. This set (VAW120E2C2.ZIP) was done by Aaron Haase as AI traffic for FSX and FS9, but you get full texture folders for the Abacus COD. He also includes the "Greyhawk" call sign and all you really need would be to add the "AD" call letters to the tails if you wanted them. Pair all of this with the MAIW scenery for Norfolk, Va. and the Carriers2006 package and you wind up with a really nice area for carrier landings.

That's it for now, may your next wire be a 3 wire.

Members who have read this thread: 97