Orbx scenery question

Thread: Orbx scenery question

Icon5 Orbx scenery question

I'm running P3Dv4 with a fair bit of Orbx stuff including the Global Base, Vector and LC Europe, and also EU England with most of the airfields. Now I see there's True Earth Great Britain South available, which covers my favourite areas. If I purchase this, will I still want EU England and the Orbx airfields, or does it act as an improved equivalent to the whole area?
    So - do I want True Earth? My existing Orbx won't be wasted, as I'll go on using it in FSX, so that's not a consideration.

Thanks,

David
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Just looked at the product page, and sadly there is no information about the previous UK region or the airfields...

Edit: since the download size is 45 Gb, I don't think you'll need those airfield and the England region!

Priller

True Earth Great Britain for P3Dv4 can be seen as a complete replacement for the existing landclass products, and it does include the upgraded airports as seen in the FTX EU region products.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

However, those airports, while an improvement over the stock airports; are not of the quality of the individual airport add ons. EGHI Southampton, for instance; is much higher quality than the Regional, or True Earth version.
    So if you like photo real, the True Earth is an option, but you still need the airports. Be aware that the True Earth products are, let us say, system intense. https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/...one-airfields/
    Sue

If you get True Earth Great Britain South, you'll still need EU England, since the True Earth South scenery cuts off just north of Birmingham, so if you want to fly up to Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle etc. you'll still need the original EU England; unless of course, you also get the True Earth Great Britain Central.

Thank you. So if I will still need my existing addon airports, and TEGB is summer only, is there any real advantage to it?

Just as an FYI, all of TEGB is available now. I would love to be able to use it, but TE Netherlands turns my system into a slide show. I know I could cut back on the details, but, in a sense, that defeats the purpose of buying the product in the first place. That’s not a complaint, just the way it is until I build another new PC (Just built the current one two years ago). I’m waiting to build a new one based on the requirements for FS2020.

Do Orbx still have their demo's available ? I tried their South England TE demo which was/is a sizeable area . Turned me into a user. Try it out .

The main advantage to the TE GB series is that it uses a photoreal terrain texture, compared to the landclass textures used in the FTX EU series of regions. Obviously photoreal imagery more accurately portrays what the ground actually looks like.

As for performance, the TE GB series has just had an overhaul which greatly improves performance compared to TE GB South V1. TE GB South V2, TE GB Central and TE GB North have been developed with performnace in mind, and new methods and materials have been used so that the performance is much greater compared to TE GB South V1.

Of course TE GB South includes London, and obviously if you are using a heavy aircraft addon, a hi res airport such as London City or Heathrow, and the TE GB South scenery, you will notice some degradation in performance compared to flying a Cessna into a bush strip . That being said, even the performance around London has been improved compared to TE GB South V1.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Blog Entries
    There's a bundle offer available you can get the UK in it's entirety:
    https://orbxdirect.com/bundle/trueearth-great-britain-p3dv4-bundle?mc_cid=79ffe20e22&mc_eid=3e798aa558

The scenery is simply stunning, especially the Scottish highlands. I'd previously bought the JustFlight NextGen scenery. I whish I hadn't, there's just no comparison (sorry JustFlight, I've always been a fan of your products, but it is what it is).
    The only problem with the Orbx True Earth is the huge amount of hard drive space you need, but I love it!

Regards,
    Ian

Thank you. I have found the demo for XPlane-11, which certainly makes a huge difference, at least above 1500 feet. Does the P3D version still have moving traffic? It's not mentioned on the product page.

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Thank you. I have found the demo for XPlane-11, which certainly makes a huge difference, at least above 1500 feet. Does the P3D version still have moving traffic? It's not mentioned on the product page.

Yes it does and as usual with P3D you can set the activity to suit.
    That UK scenery package currently works out to
    86.78 USD, if my math is correct. A lot of scenery for the price.
    Four days to go for the ORBX sale as well.
    And a PS:my ORBX scenery lives on it's own hard drive, you get the option when installing via ORBX Central.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Actually the bundle price for the three TE GB packages (North, Central and South) is currently $77.22 USD (Approximately, I suppose depending on exchange rates).

Thank you all. I've taken the plunge and it's downloading now. I'll report back on whether my forum sig applies this time.

David

Members who have read this thread: 0