Seaplane initial location catapulted vertically into the air

Thread: Seaplane initial location catapulted vertically into the air

Seaplane initial location catapulted vertically into the air

Hello Folks,
    I was wondering if anyone how to solve a water take-off problem which happens to some seaplanes and floatplanes.

On the water, in a lake scenery made with Airport for Windows or APT216, with the altitude entry corresponding (of course...) to the
    CFS2 altitude reading for the lake-surface in exactly the same place, there seems to be a problem with the Initial Location for a water take-off for seaplanes or floatplanes.

On CFS2 start-up for this location, after a couple of seconds, the floatplane is catapulted vertically into the air and accellerated to full throttle, depriving you of the opportunity of a water take-off.

On the other hand, if you define the start-up location on a ramp and slew the plane into the water, there´s no problem and it rocks gently on the waves waiting for you to start the engines.

I am told it lies in the Aircraft.cfg file, but I can´t find where. Can anybody help?
    Thanks very much in advance!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

So I think you have the start point underground/underwater or the game thinks the start is underground.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

5 ft below defined altitude

Hello Allen,
    Thank you for your reply.
    So, there seems to be something that makes the sim misinterpret or change the scenery altitude.
    CFS2 reports 15 ft on the lake, and the scenery with its Initial Location is also set for 15 ft.

This gave me an idea: I pressed the Slew key just before the sim could send my floatplane vertically
    up into the air, and I saw that the altitude reading suddenly changed from 15 ft to 9.84 ft, so obviously
    what is happening is as you said.

I just checked the Aircraft.cfg, and I discovered what´s wrong. A silly mistake: I had a mistaken
    static height
    in the aircraft.cfg file. Instead of -6.6 ft like the contact points for the floats, I had
    left it at 5.7 ft. No wonder it was failing. Of course.... after correcting that, everything´s OK now!

On land it wasn´t happening, because hard ground stops the plane from going below ground level,
    but it seems that water does allow it.

Thanks for your help.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

Members who have read this thread: 0