CFS 3 Upgrade package Version 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFS 3 Upgrade package Version 2

SOH-CM-2020

CFS 3 Upgrade package Version 2

<Admin, can you please make this a sticky and remove the original sticky about an upgrade package? The old link is not functional any more.>

Well, folks there is now a revised Version 2 upgrade package for stock CFS3. The link is
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/bttbwn...de_v2.zip/file

Hi Guys, I've provided a new link. I had to remove the Spitfire IXc I'd included with five skins, because I had failed to read the Readme which said it was not to be redistributed.

But really, you guys should use the full versions, available here at SOH!

Happy Flying

486 people have downloaded v1. Not one person provided comments about gameplay! Version 2 includes all the v1 features, and adds coastal shipping, more missions, improved tree scenery models for the same texture sheet, randomised bullet hole textures. Having different bullet holes appear on the wing each time an aircraft is shot up works very well and I don't think I could go back to seeing the same string of holes (defined in the .mos file) appear all the time.
    Utilities include Nuke BDP, multicfs3, and an air spawns switcher so air spawns can be turned off for mission play.

Plenty more things too many mods and tweaks to mention.

Scenery is still "old school" but looks quite nice on a good rig, as scenery density is set to a reasonable level in the budgets files.

You need a completely stock version of Combat Flight Simulator 3, patched to v3.1a, and then you simply overwrite with these files. You also need to overwrite the AppData files with the ones provided.
    Last edited by hairyspin; January 22nd, 2020 at 21:52. Reason: Link updated

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a winner ! Have your older install and it works perfectly. Time for a new install to play with ! Thank you very much for all the time and effort put in this. Hopefully this will help newcomers get started on a easier note.Thank you very much ! Regards,Scott

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Sounds like a winner ! Have your older install and it works perfectly. Time for a new install to play with ! Thank you very much for all the time and effort put in this. Hopefully this will help newcomers get started on a easier note.Thank you very much ! Regards,Scott
    Thanks, Scott! I forgot to mention it is still running the January 2018 version of Ankors shaders. If you are having trouble with the shaders just remove the d3d8 files in the root directory and run with what you have. This will probably require running cfs3config after installing the upgrade (only do if if asked for). Once CFS3 thinks it is configured, just use the configoverrides.xml provided for the App Data folder, and overwrite the original file. Keep the configoverrides.xml as read only, and things should work well.

Happy to report it works well - except your configsoverrides xml doesn't work.
    Have to use the origional.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by okyone View Post
    Happy to report it works well - except your configsoverrides xml doesn't work.
    Have to use the origional.
    Thanks for the feedback, okyone. Always useful to get these comments. Of course, config settings depend to some extent on the computer you are using, but I hope that what you refer to as "original" is a bit more recent than the 2002 version! For one thing, "Dualpassrender" should be turned off with Ankor's shaders. Also the shadows setting, can't remember what it's called, should be turned off because Ankor's shaders generate their own shadows.

In general, most of my configoverride settings are recommended for a newish computer and graphics card. For example, the Render_target setting for textures gives a nice sharp appearance. There are some guides, the Ground Crew website guide for config setup is old and you can create larger aircraft texture budgets in the configoverrides. The setup guide is hidden away in the hangar on the GroundCrew website (IIRC the site is hosted by "mrjmaint"?). If you can find a slightly older setup guide for Over Flanders Fields (OFF, as opposed to HITR), that could be useful too.

HTH,

Blog Entries
    Sorry i haven't posted back about the new improved version is that i'm waiting on getting a new pc to run it on since with mine i can't use Ankors shaders. Regards,Scott

SOH-CM-2020
    Being able to run the shaders will be well worth it. It will blow you away!!

Blog Entries
    Will we need to install AvHistory weapons pack and effects or will they already be there ?

Blog Entries
    Question answered. Looked at the weapons file and saw them. Sorry for the dumb question...

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers

hertzie

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Question answered. Looked at the weapons file and saw them. Sorry for the dumb question...
    Hi Scott, that is definitely not a dumb question. Not all the AvHistory weapons are there. Ones relating to countries other than stock (ie gbr,ger,usa) may not be there - I haven't been fully consistent on that I'm sure (if you want consistency, deal with Majormagee ).

However the Avhistory effects and fxtextures ARE all there - or equivalently-named items. The combined effects.xml is included.

hope you get your new rig up and burning framerates soon!

Just wanted to pop by and say thank you for this mate,its a great piece of work it installed easily..Thanks again

I may have missed something but can I install this over your previous version?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    I may have missed something but can I install this over your previous version?
    Very much so, James! It is a stand-alone upgrade so it can write over stock CFS3, but I can't think of a reason not to let it overwrite V1.

One thing I didn't do is use the fab new cutscenes provided for ETO. It would take a bit of modification, but would have been well worth it.

@Adger, thanks very much!

once you get comfortable with the file structures and bat files, I would say that ETO is a far more complete upgrade, it just takes a bit more work and knowledge of editing bat files, to get it running properly.

My modified stock package V2 gets things going more quickly and is enough for some people who are "time challenged". I also use it as a "test mule" for my constant tweaking and experimenting. I quite like the "old school" scenery.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rtoolooze View Post
    Thank you for this!
    Thanks, mate.

Anyone care to share screenshots?

SOH-CM-2020

Amended link

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bttbwn...de_v2.zip/file (edit: link in first post of thread has been updated)

Hi Guys, I've provided a new link. I had to remove the Spitfire IXc I'd included with five skins, because I had failed to read the Readme which said it was not to be redistributed.

But really, you guys should use the full versions, available here at SOH!

Happy Flying
    Last edited by hairyspin; January 23rd, 2020 at 12:08.

Is "time challenged" a polite way of saying "ageing"?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Is "time challenged" a polite way of saying "ageing"?
    Ha, ha no that is not what I meant! More that this is a quick way to get some of the advances that have come to CFS3 over the years. It saves running around applying everything yourselves.

Also I hope to show enough that people persevere and graduate to ETO v 1.50 and learn to navigate the .bat file system for changing eras. It is worth it!

Thank you. I tried it and had a disaster with the cofigupdater thing which made it crash, so I am back to vanilla again now after another reinstall.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

I've tried to install this thing, like David did, and got the same errors like David did.

Followed the instructions to the letter, and still got the message that the configdatabase file had errors.

I changed the configdatabase file to the original version, still no joy. I changed the appdata files to the originals, and it worked (kindof) but I got a lot of visual anomalies.

Any help would be appreciated. For what it's worth, I'm running this on Windows 10.

Priller

I note (on Win10 pro) that the cfg file is sometimes problematic. First, in the exe properties, I set as compatibility with XP SP3 and run as admin. I also found to go direct to the exe and not a shortcut helps sometimes; don't ask me why!

Hi Mongoose,

I did what you said, and still no go. I then got the following error:

I changed the line, using notepad++ and the sim started loading. Only to have it look horrible. I then made sure that the contents of the app data folder of the sim aren't ready only anymore and did the same to the error generating files in the sim folder itself. It still isn't working.

From a security point of view, I've already had to do things that aren't exactly "best practice" and the bloody thing still isn't working.

I'm about to throw in the towel, delete the thing and move on to something that works ok after installing...

Sorry for the rant.

priller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CFS3 error.jpg  

Hopefully Daiwilletti will be able to offer some advice,.
    Does the stock version 3.1a work OK?
    Do you have an ETO or other install working OK?
    If yes to those, perhaps redo from the beginning?

I have a copy of the working CFS3.1a standing by, app data folder included.

NO ETO present, nor any other iteration of CFS3.

We'll wait for the man himself!

Priller

Members who have read this thread: 25