Flight Replicas C-54/DC-4.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flight Replicas C-54/DC-4....

Yes thats the only one. When I have a look at the history and photos of this veteran, WW2. Korea, Vietnam and everywhere in between it looks like probably about 4 different paints jobs for this aeroplane. Khaki, then the Silver with the artwork, then a more normal MATS white opt, then the navy white-grey. Remarkable it was recognised and saved in time.

GreyEagle - Done 3 of the 4 the last of course is the one you wanted the most. That will take a bit of time to get it up. I did these in FSX so not sure how they will come up in P3D. I will upload them as a package of 4 here in a few days hopefully.

So far we have:

1945 Factory Fresh

1960s

1970s

The really nice one is circa 1950s still come.

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    you are 100% correct, I checked and it appears i never uploaded them to avsim once OZX went down, however someone from flightsim.com was uploading my files there when i uploaded to ozx just before it was hacked to death and captured the Flight replica paints and some others I forgot about. The other several that arent there are on a HD somewhere which i doubt i will have the energy to upload

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...369608&page=26 has some of the FR DC paints from there onwards and maybe one or 2 earlier in the pages
    for some reason that link comes up blank, try https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...rchid=83417308

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    GreyEagle - Done 3 of the 4 the last of course is the one you wanted the most. That will take a bit of time to get it up. I did these in FSX so not sure how they will come up in P3D. I will upload them as a package of 4 here in a few days hopefully.

So far we have:

1945 Factory Fresh

1960s

1970s

The really nice one is circa 1950s still come.
    Theses really look nice. Thanks for making them.

Small change to the 1970s version - I forgot the flag on the tail.

Small change to the 1970s version - I forgot the flag on the tail.

Looks nice however, it looks similar to one that Matt Levi (Jeansy) did. I've notice that image searches of R5D's (Google) render Modex of different sizes and fonts.
    I like the AGANA one (60')......

Some DC$s and R5ds

A few good images of the R5D and its cousins.

I wonder if the right front door on the copilots side was used for pax or just crew?

http://www.vr-24.org/Aircraft_photo_...R5D_photos.htm

Yes I have the Matt Levi paint. That style was the 1960s same as the Agana. Not sure where Agana came from or what it even means. The constant changes to fonts lettering logos etc is a pain. Anyway here is first pass on the 1950 Atlantic Division. Still very untidy in some aspects but WIP.

Yes I have the Matt Levi paint. That style was the 1960s same as the Agana. Not sure where Agana came from or what it even means. The constant changes to fonts lettering logos etc is a pain. Anyway here is first pass on the 1950 Atlantic Division. Still very untidy in some aspects but WIP.
    That one is looking very good

The one with Agana on the tail was from Naval Air Station Agana Guam - It closed in 1995.

I am leaving these paints alone for the time being until I get my real PC back and P3DV5 back. Just cannot replicate the lighting and shading in P3D in FSX. I guess it is the COVID parts delay for the time being.

I am leaving these paints alone for the time being until I get my real PC back and P3DV5 back. Just cannot replicate the lighting and shading in P3D in FSX. I guess it is the COVID parts delay for the time being.
    Bendy, it is really annoying trying to get any PC parts, although it seems that certain outlets are more equal than some.
    The 3080+ situation is ridiculous, my go to guys received 30 units recently, all pre-paid orders.
    Scorptec are not a small outfit and yet those 30 cards were it for their Victorian customer base.
    Really frustrating.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Bendy, it is really annoying trying to get any PC parts, although it seems that certain outlets are more equal than some.
    The 3080+ situation is ridiculous, my go to guys received 30 units recently, all pre-paid orders.
    Scorptec are not a small outfit and yet those 30 cards were it for their Victorian customer base.
    Really frustrating.
    Yep my new PC came from them, not their fault the cooling system and power supply failed - but no parts at moment. So you sit and wait!! Same all over, no printer cartridges for my HP unit and no bits to replace a throw away belt on another machine that has a real motor - making me a cranky old bastard!

Done this one as well. British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines. Started with DC-4's on the Sydney-Fiji-Canton Island-Honolulu-San Francisco run and return twice a week in 1948. BCPA were taken over absorbed into Qantas after Resolution collected the hillside near half moon bay at San Francisco during an instrument approach using the old VAR type NDB approach. That is some run across the Pacific in a DC-4.

Done this one as well. British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines. Started with DC-4's on the Sydney-Fiji-Canton Island-Honolulu-San Francisco run and return twice a week in 1948. BCPA were taken over absorbed into Qantas after Resolution collected the hillside near half moon bay at San Francisco during an instrument approach using the old VAR type NDB approach. That is some run across the Pacific in a DC-4.

I like the boarding ladders for this aircraft. Is there a separate program that uses them? I use the GSX program and it really doesn't facilitate ladders for pax doors on the right side of the aircraft. I know some aircraft have the ladder system built in.

Grey Eagle - alas no. All the good ones with stairs and ladders they are incorporated into the model design and activated that way. I know what you mean I bought GSX some time ago only for the stairs feature to find it was nothing like what I expected and it was as buggy as hell for me. Shame about that. If GSX can do it I am not sure why somebody has not come up with a simple program just to do this stairs say 3 one front one back and one on the other side.

Grey Eagle - alas no. All the good ones with stairs and ladders they are incorporated into the model design and activated that way. I know what you mean I bought GSX some time ago only for the stairs feature to find it was nothing like what I expected and it was as buggy as hell for me. Shame about that. If GSX can do it I am not sure why somebody has not come up with a simple program just to do this stairs say 3 one front one back and one on the other side.
    So this repaint has the built in stairs? I'm using the FSX version in P3D 4.5 and will eventually upgrade to the P3D 4/5 version.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    So this repaint has the built in stairs? I'm using the FSX version in P3D 4.5 and will eventually upgrade to the P3D 4/5 version.
    YES it is a feature of the FR C54-DC4 for all the models, stairs front and back activated by a mouse click in the cockpit VC. You can repaint the stairs for various operators but I am sticking with a vanilla white-grey for all mine.

YES it is a feature of the FR C54-DC4 for all the models, stairs front and back activated by a mouse click in the cockpit VC. You can repaint the stairs for various operators but I am sticking with a vanilla white-grey for all mine.
    Thanks for pointing that out. All this time I had not known of the auto ladder feature- I used the #3 and #5 option to show the stairs.
    Now, on some repaints, the Pax stairs will not show. The stock liveries show the #3/5 (Crew/Pax) stairs. For those repaints where the Pax stairs do not appear,
    is there a file that I could copy over so that the Pax stairs show?

Thanks
    Butch

Edit: When I click on the Co-pilots wiper motor, no Pax stars will show. No issues with any of the civilian liveries.
    I checked the textures of the Mil planes and it looks like there are stair.dds images there, they just don't show when I click the #5 switch.
    I sent Michael (FR) email about this. I found it odd that there are no texture.cfg files either.

I the Co-pilots side, there isn't a hot spot click area for the pax stairs for any of the military aircraft.
    Do you have the pax stairs working for the mil aircraft. Could be that I am using the FSX version in P3D 4.5 -

I tried this plane out in P3D 3 and get same results - no Pax stairs for any Military aircraft. I think those AC were meant as cargo.
    I did try to use the TWA model in one of the Mil folders and modded the aircraft sim= entry and that way, I get a pax ladder.
    Strange.
    Last edited by gray eagle; February 15th, 2021 at 14:29.

My hunch was right. Using MCDX I took a peek "under the hood" of a civilian mdl file and it has the pax ladder that swings into place.

I then looked at the military models and there is no pax ladder and both cargo doors will open whereas the civilian mdl have just one door open for the pax ladder.

Grey Eagle others interested a repaint of ATC 56498 in the Atlantic Division Colours now up at FlightSim.com look for 56498.zip in P3D new files.

Fantastic!

Just got this wonderful paint and took the C-54 out for a spin. Now I have an engine management question for this bird.

For the Connies, CC DC-6 and 7 you can fine tune the mixture control by observing BMEP and/or fuel flow rate gauges (I think). I could not find any gauges for the FR DC-4/C-54 to eyeball against my mixture settings - except when I made it too lean and the engines started to die. Any thoughts?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Expat - you have to do it the old fashioned way. Fuill Rich below 5000 ft, lean to about 85% on climb and then dependant on altitude in the cruise lean to between about 65-45% (Tool tip on the mixture knobs will tell you the percentage), leave the mixtures in the cruise position on descent (the engines would richen by the change in atmospheric pressure) then over to full rich below 5000ft. There is a cylinder temp gauge (possible EGT) on the very left hand side of the captains panel not sure if it works. In real life you leaned out gently and slowly, and you need to constantly monitor the cylinder head temps (on the Overhead) to keep them in the green range and did it by ear, in otherwords if they started to run rough it was too lean so you would richen it up again to get it smooth and then add a few more nudges or percent. The fuel flow and BHP you could expect was given in the manual charts for the performance, so you selected a MP and RPM and altitude and lean (or autolean) based on the BHP you wanted to achieve.

if they stop on you going full rich should get them running again - it was an old trick to simulate an engine failure on checks and training to pull the mixture, the engine stops running but keeps windmilling and putting back mixture they start running again almost instantly.

OK, got it - thanks. Was cruising at about 45% so my instincts weren't too bad. Also was eyeing the cylinder head temps overhead but my reaction was to crack the cowl flaps instead of the mixture levers.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    OK, got it - thanks. Was cruising at about 45% so my instincts weren't too bad. Also was eyeing the cylinder head temps overhead but my reaction was to crack the cowl flaps instead of the mixture levers.
    Yep pretty good! you should only get hot engines on the climb so cracking the cowl flaps open is fine, you only get a small increase in drag but help the engine cooling a lot. With cowls in the trail position you only lose maybe 2-3 knots, so make it up with the wind aloft instead. In cold regions you can keep em closed and you want the engines running at their best thermal output anyway so hot is fine!

Members who have read this thread: 1