Microsoft Retakes Control of FSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Retakes Control of FSX

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    This. I don't expect anything to change or come out of this, they're probably just protecting the IP.
    Whatever the strategy behind this move (knowing M$ it's just money), we have two new sims to look forward to: the new MSFS and P3Dv5.

I don't use FSX anymore, but I look forward to the new stuff coming up. FSX is a dated 32 bit piece of software.

Just my two € cents worth.

Priller

"M$" hits the nail on the head and we'll be lucky if we have two sims in the future.

LouP

FSX and SE are dated, to be sure, but they represent good quality simming that is much more afforable than the L-M products and can run well on much less expensive systems. More choices in powerful simulator platforms means making serious financial decisions by the consumers. Can all be winners in the long run?

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    FSX and SE are dated, to be sure, but they represent good quality simming that is much more afforable than the L-M products and can run well on much less expensive systems. More choices in powerful simulator platforms means making serious financial decisions by the consumers. Can all be winners in the long run?
    I don't have a top of the bill rig, but I still get to run P3D v4.5 better than FSX ever will.

Oh, and the first FSX I bought was more expensive than the first P3D.

Don't think that a 64 bit flightsim needs more power than a 32 bit one. The contrary is true.

Priller

[QUOTE=Priller;1193528

Don't think that a 64 bit flightsim needs more power than a 32 bit one. The contrary is true.

Priller[/QUOTE]

Oops! I think the best coded program is the most efficient and requires the least resources.
    We can not compare different generation programs, techniques evolve for more efficiency but we can be satisfied with FSX.

JMC

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I don't have a top of the bill rig, but I still get to run P3D v4.5 better than FSX ever will.

Oh, and the first FSX I bought was more expensive than the first P3D.

Priller
    Yep when i bought the boxed version of fsx gold back in 2006 it was $99 local dollars compared to the $75 local dollar version of P3D

Historically when microsoft think it normally costs the end user in someway

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    but we can be satisfied with FSX.
    Of course you can, it's a matter of taste really. But for me, FSX was a constant source of frustration. The minimum system requirements were a joke.

When I tried out P3Dv2, I was amazed at how much better it ran, and that was 32 bit! The last versions of P3D are just brilliant. No more OOM's and decent, stable FPS.

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    Yep when i bought the boxed version of fsx gold back in 2006 it was $99 local dollars compared to the $75 local dollar version of P3D

Historically when microsoft think it normally costs the end user in someway
    My 2006 FSX was $75 CDN from Best Buy on the day it came out. Then when Gold came out I bought that too from BB for the princely sum of $45 CDN. Then Steam I got that in a sale for $7. Fantastic value for money when you think of it. 13 years of entertainment for less than the price of one night on the town.
    I figure nay more releases of it and they will be paying me!
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

My FSX experience is a ditto of Naismith's: two day-of-release purchases and then Steam for a bargain price. Never has a computer that was on top of FSX's capabilities until my current one. Certainly won't be making any new platform choices until the choices become much clearer.

Within the last year I built the PC as listed below and thought that finally I had put together a setup that would be more or less bulletproof and extend my simming well into the future. Whether FSX or P3D I was good to go. Now after just a few months I'm not so sure. Will M$ do as they have before and build well beyond present day mid to higher end PC capabilities so as to last a few more years into the future? Someone had recently mentioned in a post about nitrogen cooled CPU's as a requirement. That may be not so far off the mark. Again thoughts about simply wicked overclocked speeds, overclocked dual video cards, thousands of GB's worth of SSD drives and overclocked memory speeds well in excess of any present day obtainable equipment enters my thoughts. I know time will tell...but I am starting to think that once again it may very well be years that I can get back up to speed so to speak.

History may indeed seem to be repeating itself for me and many others...just like the numerous builds for the gradual FS9 to FSX move was. Advancements in technology is a good thing for sure. I just hope I am wrong in my thinking on my more personal level.

Perhaps a small automotive radiator for future extreme budget cooling needs is workable after all. Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    Will M$ do as they have before and build well beyond present day mid to higher end PC capabilities so as to last a few more years into the future?
    I'd say that's a certainty - except that "last a few more years into the future" part. M$ have resurrected Flight Simulator to show off their new XBox, which will be four times more powerful than the current version - FOUR TIMES more powerful - my current rig, and probably yours too, can't hold a candle to that. And M$ want to persuade - or coerce - as many people to buy their new XBox as they possibly can. Therefore we'll have the "choice" of spending thousands on upgrading our current PC's components, or mere hundreds on the all-new XBox, in order to run the new Flight Simulator.

SOH-CM-2023
    Or you could just stay with the old FSX Gold/Acceleration software if you are satified with the products that will run on them. I used an old Dell Dimension 620 with Windows XP Pro and a 512 MB Nvidia card and FSX Accel/CFS2 ran fine on two separate PC's. All of Mr. Shupe's creations ran great. I guess it just depends if you want to spend the time and money for the creme de la creme of flight sim. Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Or you could just stay with the old FSX Gold/Acceleration software if you are satified with the products that will run on them. I used an old Dell Dimension 620 with Windows XP Pro and a 512 MB Nvidia card and FSX Accel/CFS2 ran fine on two separate PC's. All of Mr. Shupe's creations ran great. I guess it just depends if you want to spend the time and money for the creme de la creme of flight sim. Just my $.02.
    I agree, It's all about what you are satisfied with, my 2¢ worth as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    FSX was a constant source of frustration.

Priller
    I would say "someone can be satisfied with FSX". With Windows 64 and Steve Parson patch(the payware one) for DX10, FSX is acceptable and give less frustration. Sure I prefer Xplane11 and P3DV4 but as an amateur modeler, FSX give me some pleasure and less trouble then P3DV4 (shadows, PBR, effects...etc).
    JMC

It's being made specifically for PC. The Xbox version will be an adaptation from the PC version. Not the other way around. And for most people the only "upgrade" would likely need to be a video card, depending on how old your rig is. Keep in mind a single RTX 2080 is capable of real-time Ray tracing and rendering of an entire photo realistic cinema quality scene. With new technology the old way of doing things, becomes hard for us to wrap our minds around but it can look better, run faster and need less hardware than we actually imagined from previous experience. Relative to how things have been done in the past...
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members who have read this thread: 0