California "earthquake"

Thread: California "earthquake"

California "earthquake"

The news media has conveniently omitted the location of the shaker as Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake. Maybe a weapons boo-boo?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChinaLake.jpg  

if it was a weapons boo boo, it must have been one hell of a weapon. Magnitude 6.1. This quake occurred along what is being called the Walker Lane a newly proposed fault line that runs from the Gulf of California to north of Reno. San Andreas may be stuck in southern California and all of the energy is creeping along this proposed Walker lane. Wired just ran a very interesting article on this a few weeks ago.
    Here's the link to the article...
    https://www.wired.com/story/walker-l...andreas-fault/
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Just felt another large earthquake moments ago. Very mild where I live. More (6.9) damage as reported in same area.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Things are starting to get interesting over there. Reports of people here in Phoenix feeling the latest 7.1.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Blog Entries
    We're about 120 miles up the Owens Valley from Ridgecrest/China Lake/Little Lake. The big one last night rolled for quite a while. Since last night the entire valley has really lit up with smaller quakes, the pattern is spreading along the subduction zone that creates the Sierra Nevada. The clusters around Little Lake are the really interesting ones. That area is covered in cinder cones that look like big cookies from the air. There is one very large and relatively recent flow...geologically speaking. When I looked at the USGS map this AM I nearly spilled my coffee. Lots of new dots since I looked last night, USGS map shows 563 quakes in the last couple of days with a significant number being above 4.5.
    Last edited by gman5250; July 6th, 2019 at 06:07.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I don't know how you can do it but everybody try to stay safe.........

Blog Entries
    Update:
    It looks like a linear line is developing with very little or no vertical movement or harmonics that would indicate any likely volcanic activity. The six hundred plus (637 in the last 24 hours) quakes around China Lake are lateral movements, but the liner line appears to be slowly unzipping towards the north. It appears that the Owens Valley is releasing the energetic pressure with numerous small quakes popping up from Lone Pine to Bridgeport. I'm watching it in real time on USGS with new quakes appearing every few minutes.

An interesting FYI:

The Owens Valley is a geological anomaly that forms as the White Mountains slide away from the East Slope of the Sierra Nevadas. At one time the Whites were attached, but over time they have slid east as the North American Plate rides on top of the Pacific Plate subduction zone. There are hundreds of large, medium and small cinder cones that release lava flows now and then over the ages. The Mono Craters, which I can see from my front window, were active as recently as six hundred years ago. Nothing yet today...but the day is still young.

I live at the Northwest end (top) of the Owens River Gorge, which resembles a small grand canyon. It's about 300 feet deep and 200 feet wide with very distinct fracture features running the length of the Gorge. The Gorge was formed in the Lahar zone after the volcanic event that created the Sherwin Grade. One mile southwest of the Gorge is Rock Creek Canyon, another younger canyon that is much narrower than the Gorge. This canyon is nearly vertical from top to bottom and reveals a layer cake view of the actual lava flows from the eruption that created the Long Valley Caldera where I live. There is another small fracture forming to the Southwest of Rock Creek Canyon as well.

All toll there are three increasingly large fractures along the fault lines that continue through the Sierra Nevada northward and west. It's fascinating to visualize the White Mountains slowly marching eastward as they literally slide off of the Sierras, which are continually uplifting as the Pacific Plate slides beneath.

Cool place to live...errrr...if you like earthquakes and a super volcano under your butt.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

im just about 250 miles from the area this quake was,my boat rock n rolled so hard that it bent a roof support on the dock as my boat slammed against it,had the boat looked at and its ok,but worried me quite a bit.but what made me laugh out loud truly,was dori cat came running up the stairs,eyes wide and thoroughly confused/scared,hit the wood flooring up here and immediately went down,then in a panic ,could not regain her footing,i was laughing so hard i had tears in my eyes and snot in my nose..when the rocking stopped,she got back to her feet,looked at me like,WTH are you laughing at? then she went to the door as if to see what the boat/ship looked like,then let out a huge sigh/huff,and stomped back to bed.i then lost it again....i looked out my door and a new buddy was standing there yellin come out come out.some boats were damaged,a bunch of us on this dock were planning how to complain to the port(gal directly behind me works in the ports operations office).it was then another bud came over to tell us that it was a quake and rvers up on the peninsula were freaking out...were on a man made peninsula and i guess the fill really moved. yesterday i saw two us department of waterways survey boats in the marina here,and a us army corp of engineers boat looking at the rip rap (im guessing) along the levees.

Blog Entries
    I started following the data after the first quakes, checking USGS a few times every day. I saw a pattern developing with quakes spreading across California. I noticed yesterday a number of small quakes where I live near Mammoth Lakes. That is not unusual, but I have felt increased activity. This scan shows all quake activity in California for the last seven days. The majority are smaller than 2.5, but there is marked increasing activity along the San Andreas and in So. Cal. My area shows a cluster as well.

The original cluster was around China Lake/Ridgecrest then began to move northward through the Owens Valley where I live. All of the activity in So. Cal and up the SA fault occurred as time progressed.

Alaska is very active as well. I won't be surprised to see something significant along the San Andreas in the reasonably near future. Interesting data.

Thomas Jefferson

Members who have read this thread: 0