Microsoft Flight Simulator Announced 2019 - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator Announced 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I understand it might be possible to "port" or "convert" some FSX (or P3D?) models to the new sim... But what about the gauges and external modules in 32 bits ? These are not going to be converted automatically, and they probably won't work at all in a 64 bits sim, as we can already see in P3Dv4 today.
    Maybe simpler planes with only XML gauges will be fine. But that's quite a limiting factor nowadays. High quality planes (FSLabs, PMDG, MilViz, VRS etc...) all use complex systems. I'm pessimistic about the probability to see them ported to the new sim...
    Hi,

You're right, but some simple models with 3D coded XML gauges can be the delight of many simmers and also an interest for some amateur developers that you seem to neglect because you are concerned by the realism of sophisticated models. Models representing the beginnings of aviation did not have such complex systems that an amateur could not achieve.

JMC

Members +
    As far as porting FSX aircraft across, we were told that the new aircraft will have 1000 points of contact per surface, whereas the FSX aircraft are represented by 1, hence the railtrack performance.
    So, ported aircraft will most probably not have the flight & stall characteristics that the new ones have.

But, worth a try.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

A thousand points per surface sounds like blade element theory to me. Which is kind of cool as you might just be able to simply model your lifting and control surfaces and have the sim figure out the rest. This is basically what X-Plane does and will be more appealing for the common user as you can base the aerodynamic model of an aircraft on (good) three-views without having to worry about abstract tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    A thousand points per surface sounds like blade element theory to me. Which is kind of cool as you might just be able to simply model your lifting and control surfaces and have the sim figure out the rest. This is basically what X-Plane does and will be more appealing for the common user as you can base the aerodynamic model of an aircraft on (good) three-views without having to worry about abstract tables.
    I agree with your premise, but in the videos with the development team, they categorically deny they are using blade element theory. They're using an upgraded version of the FSX flight model.

Very minor aerodynamic changes in real aircraft can have big effects. For instance the detail of the filleting between the "car" and the wing of the P-38 made a huge difference in tailplane buffeting, the very small stall strip on the leading edge of the F4U had a major effect on stall.

I have not been that impressed with the Plane dynamics, I hope they have not gone off in this direction. Though it was often awkward to work with and had some bad limitations, the ability to fine tune flight dynamics of previous aircraft was quite good in achieving an overall realistic experience.

Much is possible to improve!

Members who have read this thread: 0