What is it? - Never seen such a unique hangar...

Thread: What is it? - Never seen such a unique hangar...

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

What is it? - Never seen such a unique hangar...

Hi Folks

Iīve found this hangar on google maps (see above - google maps coordinates: 36.926493, -116.007262)
    This place is around 38 kilometers in the Southwest of area51...huhuh...

In my opinion this hangar is looking strange - and very unique and special! Is there anybody who has an imagination (for) what it is?
    Its for

Here are the pictures:

Greetings RS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG   2.jpg   3.jpg  

The clamshell doors imply some sort of airship type of hangar, such as the Goodyear or Metlife blimps. I could be wrong. I am quite often. Sometimes I make s*** up!
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Nope, that is a pressurized hangar to accomodate spaceships. They've had a few mishaps with classic hangars at Area 51 since 1957, because alien spaceships don't like our standard athmosphere pressure. To manage different pressure values, you need rounded shapes. "Classic" large flat hangar doors, even hardened, are not safe enough.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Airship

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    The clamshell doors imply some sort of airship type of hangar, such as the Goodyear or Metlife blimps. I could be wrong. I am quite often. Sometimes I make s*** up!

...Maybe a air force air ship.. It looks alike the hangar has a relativ small entry...

It is placed in a military area... and it seems - whatever it - it needs a runway ... a short one because of only 1500 meter length
    And whatīs s function of thoose four shelters/buildings around it?

RS

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Alien spaceship hangar ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    Nope, that is a pressurized hangar to accomodate spaceships. They've had a few mishaps with classic hangars at Area 51 since 1957, because alien spaceships don't like our standard athmosphere pressure. To manage different pressure values, you need rounded shapes. "Classic" large flat hangar doors, even hardened, are not safe enough.

That makes sense...

:-) RS

Looks like a drone facility to me. And if you look on Google Earth and select the 6/3/2013 imagery, you'll even see what appears to be a UAV of some sort on the ramp in front of the hangar.

The structures look a little like the Umm Al Melh Border Guards Airport in Saudi Arabia, a supposed secret US drone facility.

EDIT: Here's a link to an old article from Flight Global. Unfortunately the photos linked in the article don't appear to work.
    Last edited by nagpaw; March 4th, 2019 at 09:02. Reason: Added Flight Global article link.
    America never stopped being great.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    Looks like a drone facility to me. And if you look on Google Earth and select the 6/3/2013 imagery, you'll even see what appears to be a UAV of some sort on the ramp in front of the hangar.

The structures look a little like the Umm Al Melh Border Guards Airport in Saudi Arabia, a supposed secret US drone facility.

EDIT: Here's a link to an old article from Flight Global. Unfortunately the photos linked in the article don't appear to work.

Hi nagpaw

nice to go backwards in time on google maps - a feature I didnīt know to this day.

Yes on 6/3/2013 you see a RQ-4 parked in front of the hangar...

I īve found two more "special" hangars on google

34,928550, -117,882756 - Edwards AFB

and 37,245042, -115,810880 - Area 51

They seem to be twins.

Greetings RS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   5.1.jpg   5.2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    I īve found two more "special" hangars on google

34,928550, -117,882756 - Edwards AFB

and 37,245042, -115,810880 - Area 51

They seem to be twins.
    No secret with these ones. The "pipes" at the back of the hangars indicate engine test facilities.

"nice to go backwards in time on google maps - a feature I didnīt know to this day."

If you like Google Earth's historic imagery, check out www.historicaerials.com. One of my favorite sites of all time! You have to work around some pretty intense watermarks, but it's worth it.

It's interesting to see that in 1998, at the location of the airfield you found, there was a single structure within the (I assume...) fenced circle. I wonder what that was? An atomic outhouse? The Love Shack, Baby?
    America never stopped being great.

Reminds me of the Hangar bay of the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701 not CVN-65)

There is also this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Airstrip

This caught my eye as I started making an AFCAD for it a while back based on Google maps with some simple scenery objects but wished I could make those unique hangars.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Members who have read this thread: 0