FSX Native AVRO PWS-18 Uploaded!... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FSX Native AVRO PWS-18 Uploaded!...

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Nigel, I have to say that you have earned yourself a place among the "Masters" with your AVRO releases! All the superlatives I possess in my limited lexicon have already been claimed and EXCLAIMED by others. So, I'll just tip my hat in salute and says thanks for these Gems.

-S-

Steve
    Awe Steve!

Prefer being an apprentice; it's way more fun and much more productive.

Here's to you, my most talented friend!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b24_witchcraft View Post
    Very nice - thank you Nigel and team!
    On behalf of the Team - Thank YOU, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontech View Post
    Usually, I am hard to impress, especially with FSX aircraft. But this PWS-18 is amazing. I've never seen better in a freeware model. The textures, the colors, the sounds, the handling in flight are just out of this world. I've not seen many payware planes as good, and to see this level of excellence in a freeware download, is mind-boggling.
    I'd actually never heard of this plane before downloading it. The screen shots looked intriguing so I figured it'd be worth a look. It is far and away above what I expected. It handles as predictably, and docilely as you'd want a trainer to. I can't compare it to flying any real plane, since I just don't have that experience. That's WAY outside my tax bracket. However, if a real plane flew as well as this one, everyone would be up there in it. Granted, it's no magic carpet. Climbing is a slow, patient business. Aerobatics takes practice, and plenty of altitude. Somehow, I have the impression that is prototypical too.
    Nigel, please PLEASE keep releasing unusual planes like this. Your talent is immense, and the subject matter is a welcome change of pace.
    Most humbled by your gracious comments, Dragontech! :-)

I promise you; more unusual planes to come, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Extraordinary modeling. Turn up the volume! Love that soundset.

-d
    Spoken like a true enthusiast! :-)

Thank YOU, dvj!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Lovely plane dumb a** installer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Lovely plane dumb a** installer.
    Easy as 1,2,3:

1. Direct installer to a temporary folder.
    2. Place _FSX_AVRO-PWS-18 folder into Airplane folder.
    3. Place effects into Effects folder.

You could of course ask for a refund :-)

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Every bit as lovely as the Tutor and the 621!

Can I raise this point though which applies to all three in FSX....

The compass card can't be unlocked or rotated. There seems to be a click spot on the locking lever but it doesn't appear do anything.
    Last edited by johnwillimas2; March 2nd, 2019 at 05:25.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwillimas2 View Post
    Every bit as lovely as the Tutor and the 621!

Can I raise this point though which applies to all three in FSX....

The compass card can't be unlocked or rotated. There seems to be a click spot on the locking lever but it doesn't appear do anything.
    But if you can open & modify the AVRO_compass.xml in the panels folder, then just add a space, then a - & another space after the ) & before the </Value>

so that it looks like this <Value>(A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees) - </Value>

This will make the compass cross rotate correctly but leave you with a static compass card & a correct readout of degrees.

Applicable to FS9 & FSX.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    This will make the compass cross rotate correctly but leave you with a static compass card & a correct readout of degrees.

Keith
    Thanks Keith - that gives me a 2D pop-up compass when I click on the 3D one and it gives the correct readout of degrees in the tool tip but it still won't let me turn the lines (I think its the cross wires) that you rotate to your desired heading so that when the cross of the compass and the cross wires are aligned you are going the right way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 621.jpg  
    Last edited by johnwillimas2; March 2nd, 2019 at 08:40.

These Avro series are one of the very best addons in FSX. Thank you very much!

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks Keith - that gives me a 2D pop-up compass when I click on the 3D one and it gives the correct readout of degrees in the tool tip but it still won't let me turn the lines (I think its the cross wires) that you rotate to your desired heading so that when the cross of the compass and the cross wires are aligned you are going the right way.
    That would require Nigel to provide a projection screen in his Gmax model & then list it in the panel.cfg. Most of my models do it that way.
    Keith

Thanks for the response.
    It sounds like a fair bit of work rather than a simple fix and its not really a problem for the sort of flying that most will do, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontech View Post
    Usually, I am hard to impress, especially with FSX aircraft. But this PWS-18 is amazing. I've never seen better in a freeware model. The textures, the colors, the sounds, the handling in flight are just out of this world. I've not seen many payware planes as good, and to see this level of excellence in a freeware download, is mind-boggling.
    I'd actually never heard of this plane before downloading it. The screen shots looked intriguing so I figured it'd be worth a look. It is far and away above what I expected. It handles as predictably, and docilely as you'd want a trainer to. I can't compare it to flying any real plane, since I just don't have that experience. That's WAY outside my tax bracket. However, if a real plane flew as well as this one, everyone would be up there in it. Granted, it's no magic carpet. Climbing is a slow, patient business. Aerobatics takes practice, and plenty of altitude. Somehow, I have the impression that is prototypical too.
    Nigel, please PLEASE keep releasing unusual planes like this. Your talent is immense, and the subject matter is a welcome change of pace.

Just don't try and hold inverted flight too long, it's a carburettor fed engine and fuel starvation soon sets in!

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Just don't try and hold inverted flight too long, it's a carburettor fed engine and fuel starvation soon sets in!

Ttfn

Pete
    For those who'd like to fly inverted without restriction, please open the Aircraft.CFG file, scroll down to the section [piston_engine], look for "fuel_metering_type=1"

Change the "1" to a "2" and save.

Now it's upside-down to your heart's content, and you don't need to have your local mechanic sign off on it, either. The beauty of Flight Sims.

RE: Compass
    Will send Nigel an alternate compass where the heading reference can be set but it will not be gyro referenced.. A no no cuz it was never implemented as such.
    Keep an eye out..
    Roman

Blog Entries
    My sincere compliments to johnwillimas2 for pointing out the compass issue, and my appologies to Keith (who has probably given up on me) for discreetly trying to point me North!

Well, Roman has most graciously provided me with a perfect replacement code, using existing bitmaps. The compass is working faultlessly in both FS9 and FSX without the need for model corrections.

Thank YOU, Roman! :-)

I will upload the updated version of '
    AVRO_compass', but for those of you who are comfortable with hand editing xml gauges, here is the entire new coding:

<Gauge Name="compass_popup" Version="1.0">
    <Image Name="AVRO__compass.bmp"/>

<Element>
    <Position X="150" Y="150"/>
    <Image Name="compass_popup_needle.bmp" PointsTo="South">
    <Axis X="85" Y="86"/>
    </Image>
    <Rotate>
    <Value>(A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees)</Value>
    <Nonlinearity>
    <Item Value="0" Degrees="-90"/>
    <Item Value="180" Degrees="90"/>
    <Item Value="360" Degrees="-90"/>
    </Nonlinearity>
    </Rotate>
    </Element>

<Element>
    <Position X="150" Y="150"/>
    <Image Name="compass_popup_crosswires.bmp" PointsTo="North">
    <Axis X="85" Y="86"/>
    </Image>
    <Rotate>
    <Value>(A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees)</Value>
    <Nonlinearity>
    <Item Value="0" Degrees="-90"/>
    <Item Value="180" Degrees="90"/>
    <Item Value="360" Degrees="-90"/>
    </Nonlinearity>
    </Rotate>
    </Element>

<Mouse>

<Area Name="AVRO HEADING REFERENCE DOWN" Left="0" Top="0" Width="150" Height="300">
    <Tooltip ID="">AVRO Compass (Heading %((A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees))%!d!°, Reference %((A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees))%!d!°) - R. Click to toggle 2D compass.</Tooltip>
    <Cursor Type="DownArrow"/>
    <Click Repeat="Yes" Kind="LeftSingle+RightSingle">
    (M:Event) 'RightSingle' scmp 0 == if{ 75 (&gt;K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE) } els{ (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC) }
    </Click>
    </Area>

<Area Name="AVRO HEADING REFERENCE UP" Left="150" Top="0" Width="150" Height="300">
    <Tooltip ID="">AVRO Compass (Heading %((A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees))%!d!°, Reference %((A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees))%!d!°) - R. Click to toggle 2D compass.</Tooltip>
    <Cursor Type="UpArrow"/>
    <Click Repeat="Yes" Kind="LeftSingle+RightSingle">
    (M:Event) 'RightSingle' scmp 0 == if{ 75 (&gt;K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE) } els{ (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) }
    </Click>
    </Area>

</Mouse>

</Gauge>

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    For those who'd like to fly inverted without restriction, please open the Aircraft.CFG file, scroll down to the section [piston_engine], look for "fuel_metering_type=1"

Now it's upside-down to your heart's content, and you don't need to have your local mechanic sign off on it, either. The beauty of Flight Sims.
    I LOVE it just the way you have it already set up, James!!!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flying legend View Post
    These Avro series are one of the very best addons in FSX. Thank you very much!
    Pleased to hear we're doing something right, flying legend

Thank YOU, Sir! :-)

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post

Nice one Magoo, but this local mechanic likes the challenge.

Ttfn

Pete

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post

Ttfn

Pete
    That bit of carburetor realism is the sort of thing I like to see in a sim. If the real plane can't do it, I don't want the sim to do it. Likewise, if the plane CAN, I want the sim able as well. Realistic flight, realistic looks, clickable cockpit. I've many planes like that. Now if only I could make the WORLD in FSX look real......

The Avro Tutor had an aerobatic float setup. Witness the countless images popping up in old aviation magazines from the 'thirties showing RAF stunt teams doing their upside-down thing in our favorite Anglo Avros. (Get a hold of Nigel's Tudor pack and try it out. You can fly inverted until all the blood goes to your head and you pass out. Have crash detection turned off.....)

The Poles bought two Avro Tudors, and a license to manufacture.

The PWS establishment then went through the design and altered as much of it as they could to speed up the assembly line.

The Avro series were steel tube construction throughout, with steel tube spars, wooden stringers to fasten the cloth.

PWS changed the wings to wood, altered the wing tips from square to round ( easier in wood?), deleted the leading edge slats, and sourced a domestic radial engine, a license built Wright J-5 from either Avia or Polskie Zakłady Skody.

As Poland was feeling the thumping-boot foreign policy squeeze between Fascist Germany and the Soviet Union, they were building up their airforce as quickly as possible with massively limited resources.

The term, "quick and dirty" comes to mind. Right out of the factory, throw that plane right up into the air. If it flies, it's yours......if it doesn't....it never was......

Whether or not the PWS-18 carburetor was set up to fly inverted could be a good pub debate. My decision was against that, again, regarding the policy and budget at the time.....get as many into the air and train those bloody pilots...fast.

Musefully I would suggest that anytime a Polish trainee pilot would get inverted, it was probably while pulling high gee's in pursuit of a virtual firing solution at the tail feathers of one of his fellow cadets. Under such conditions, the fuel system would be binge-gulping with pure inertia, never the opportunity for even one hiccup....

Certainly the Poles really got the chance to show off their extreme training once they got their hands on some sundry Spitfires and Hurricanes in the UK.

But that's another story....

The plane illustrated below can be found finely rendered in Nigel's wonderful PWS-18 package.

Taka-taka-taka!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PWS-18 01.jpg   PWS-18 02.jpg   PWS-18 03.jpg  

Many thanks for the compass fix but I can't make it work. Cutting and pasting this code into a new .xml file and replacing the current AVRO_compass.xml file I lose the compass functionality completely - neither the needle nor the direction card are displayed. I'll hang on for the file upload. It's probably an editing error on my side.

When I try to open the xml file in Internet Explorer it only shows this....
    (A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees) (A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees)

The whole file is shown if I open it in Notepad, for example, or in file explorer preview....

Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks for the compass fix but I can't make it work. Cutting and pasting this code into a new .xml file and replacing the current AVRO_compass.xml file I lose the compass functionality completely - neither the needle nor the direction card are displayed. I'll hang on for the file upload. It's probably an editing error on my side.

When I try to open the xml file in Internet Explorer it only shows this....
    (A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees) (A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees)

The whole file is shown if I open it in Notepad, for example, or in file explorer preview....

Cheers.
    Hi John, please send me your e-mail address via private message and I'll get the new gauge to you double-quick. :-)

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Nigel,

Posting XML code into a website, or email, will usually reformat it into a useless set of characters.
    Just FYI, when posting code here use the "#" button above in the post editor functions to surround the code in "code" tags. This will keep the forum software from parsing/reformatting.
    Anyhow, attached is the same zip sent to you (if it works), so others may use it before you upload an official.. Hope you don't mind.

Roman

NR_621.zip
    Roman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Nigel,

Posting XML code into a website, or email, will usually reformat it into a useless set of characters.
    Just FYI, when posting code here use the "#" button above in the post editor functions to surround the code in "code" tags. This will keep the forum software from parsing/reformatting.
    Anyhow, attached is the same zip sent to you (if it works), so others may use it before you upload an official.. Hope you don't mind.

Roman

NR_621.zip
    Bless you, Roman :-)

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    What more can I say than a massive thanks to you, Ulrich for making the earlier AVRO releases accessible to P3D users. Huge thanks to you for bridging that gap, Sir.

Yes, I agree that FSX native materials are making an awesome difference towards the high standards we seek to acheive.

My pleasure! Sir,
    it was an honor to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Hi John, please send me your e-mail address via private message and I'll get the new gauge to you double-quick. :-)
    Thanks but I have picked up the file from Roman's post. Works perfectly! Many thanks to you all for making this plane even better!

Members who have read this thread: 1