Saufley field in the late 50's and sixties - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saufley field in the late 50's and sixties

Cool

Anymore info on this project? pleassse
    Rob Schreiber

Offsite Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    I found this http://www.qth.net/pipermail/arc5/20...er/009252.html about WWII era radio sets and their frequencies, 126.18 and 142.74 being among them.

Man, I do not like this forum software. It keeps erasing my posts, and why can't I have it put offsite images inline?
    I had the same problem...Imgur is a good hosting site I am using now. It was a little tricky finding out what link to use to get the image to post but i got it figured out. PM me if you want to know how to do it. I also sent a PM to FlyingsCool and offered him help.

Just found this - check it out http://virtpilot.org/files/lib/book1174.pdf grab it for your library before it disappears like so many do.

When I get interested, I start hunting: http://www.vpnavy.com/vt1_aircraft.html VT-1 T34's at NAS Saufley Field in different schemes different years.

Interesting Project

I’ve kind of stumbled on this thread. What a great project!

One thing I haven’t seen much info about is the presence or absence of an Optical Landing System (OLS) about the field or the presence of the (at one time) ubiquitous carrier landing area that was painted on many Navy/MC runways.

I went through Pensacola in the early ‘90s, though at the time Primary was flown out of NAS Whiting. As has been mentioned, PAPI/VASI wasn’t a thing at any naval airfield that I can recall. But most major naval airbases, at least by the ‘90s, had a carrier box and field “Meatball” on the left side of the runway, just before the short field gear.

At the time VT-10, the NFO training squadron, was still flying out of NAS Pensacola in T-34s, T-2Cs and, TA-4Js IIRC and the Blues were still based there, at least in the summer months. So, there was
    still a routine need for a meatball at the field. I’m having a hard time remembering if any or most of the Outlying Landing Fields had a ball, but it was not uncommon to run FCLP out at a OLF both to enhance the small field experience (particularly at night to simulate flying over the dark sea) and also probably to prevent glomming up the pattern.

I don’t know how 1960s fields were configured. But some of those old Navy flying manuals were replete with old pictures of much fresher looking Buckeyes and Skyhawks landing abeam much more primitive OLSs located abeam the runway.

Dont know if that helps any. Good luck with the project!

NAS Cecil Field

There is a thread here from last year that I helped with laying out the runway for NAS Cecil Field you can probably find. VLSO has addons for all the current fields that have them but maybe Mike71 can tell you.

Members who have read this thread: 0