HDD to SSD

Thread: HDD to SSD

HDD to SSD

Hi
    Going to build a new, improved pc. Will buy a 1 tb SSD drive and install P3D there. Wonder if anyone tried just to copy/move a working P3D from an HDD to SSD, if it works and how it's done.
    Thanks, regards

You will still have to do a fresh install of P3D first.
    Once you do that, you can then copy over whatever you need from your other installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Hi
    Going to build a new, improved pc. Will buy a 1 tb SSD drive and install P3D there. Wonder if anyone tried just to copy/move a working P3D from an HDD to SSD, if it works and how it's done.
    Thanks, regards
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

I have a 1tb SSD specifically for my flight sim programs. Generally, unless you're restoring from a System Image to a duplicate of your previous system setup, I doubt you'll be able to make the move (simulator or single program only move) because of all the entries in the registry and other forms of copy protection on your OS drive will be missing. I just added the new SSD beside my OS SSD and on-board storage 2tb HDD and assigned a new letter to it and fresh installed everything. I have a backup copy of my P3D install as both a system image and a duplicate for the items I can move over one at a time and in the order I had them in before. Again, pretty much any addon with copy protection and complex files will need a fresh installation. I move my backup repaints and config files over afterward to save time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have successfully used the junction link method to move whole installs from one drive to another. Method is explained here:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...e-reinstalling

It seems there is also a program called SteamMover, originally meant to move steam games but it works for any program. Never used it but this and other ways explained here:
    https://www.itechtics.com/3-ways-mov...on-windows-10/

Thank you all. Going to upgrade Mother board, CPU and ram. And add the new SSD. If lucky perhaps W10 will adjust the new hardware, it happened before with W7, but most probably will have to reinstall W10 too. Then from what I read, a fresh install of P3D and write everything over...once again, thank you all.

Members who have read this thread: 0