P-47 Progress Thread
Page 1 of 15 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: P-47 Progress Thread

P-47 Progress Thread

Hi guys,

To stir things up a little (it's been rather quiet over here lately), I thought it might be a good idea to post some progress screenies of the P-47D. I took a break from modelling to texture some parts that I might publish as generic/shared aircraft components for use in future models or by other modellers. This particular bit is my rendition of the A-12 oxygen regulator (gmax screenie):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser4.jpg  

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

SOH-CM-2020
    oh boy, I'd forgotten about this project! Looks great, Frosty!!

Great screenie Joost. Sure it's for a P47 or a hospital oxygen supply system? Seriously does look very good.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Are you doing your own textures, Joost? They look great!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Are you doing your own textures, Joost? They look great!
    Yep, so far (John offered his help so who knows what the future brings...).

Has anyone been following the PBR thread over at the FSX forum and the DCS thread on the upcoming F14A/B? Especially the video where they showed ambient light going around in the cockpit? There were finger smudges on the display behind the stick! FREAKING FINGER SMUDGES!! That sort of ultra-realistic texturing reduces my work to a 4-year old's finger painting exercise!

It comes at a cost, though; the module appears to be a whopping 120 Gb. For a single aircraft. But not just any aircraft; a F-14!
    Anyway, I content myself with the fact that I did this all by myself and hopefully there will be a time where people will wonder how on earth could anyone texture a model without the use of additional software. And I will know the answer: With a lot of patience and time on one's hands...

very nice! I'll be watching for additional screenies .

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the post. Can't wait to see more !

Oh, and by the way, I'm expecting to see some finger smudges on your work now!

Excellent textures Joost!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Thanks guys

Yep, so far (John offered his help so who knows what the future brings...).

Has anyone been following the PBR thread over at the FSX forum and the DCS thread on the upcoming F14A/B? Especially the video where they showed ambient light going around in the cockpit? There were finger smudges on the display behind the stick! FREAKING FINGER SMUDGES!! That sort of ultra-realistic texturing reduces my work to a 4-year old's finger painting exercise!

It comes at a cost, though; the module appears to be a whopping 120 Gb. For a single aircraft. But not just any aircraft; a F-14!
    Anyway, I content myself with the fact that I did this all by myself and hopefully there will be a time where people will wonder how on earth could anyone texture a model without the use of additional software. And I will know the answer: With a lot of patience and time on one's hands...

Yeah I have looking at that and the video for the DCS version here
    probably a lot easier when one can go around an actual in service aircraft and take pictures showing real usage; can't do that with many WWII aircraft.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

P47

I have a p47 n just needing a pit. So I will make the instrument panel and other pieces unique to the N series, if I could get a some generic P47 parts, would make the process a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    I have a p47 n just needing a pit. So I will make the instrument panel and other pieces unique to the N series, if I could get a some generic P47 parts, would make the process a bit faster.
    Once finished, I will have on my generic texture sheet the following parts:

1x A-8 Magneto Switch
    1x A-12A Oxygen Diluter
    1x AN/APS-13 Tail Warning Radar Alarm bell
    1x AN/APS-13 Tail Warning Radar Indicator light
    1x BC-602 Radio Control Box
    1x BC-765 Radio Destruct Switch Box
    1x BC-1206A Detrola Beam Receiver
    1x C-5 UV Cockpit light
    1x K-14 Gun Sight
    1x M-299 Microphone Adapter
    1x M1 Flare Gun Mount
    1x Cleveland Parker Primer pump
    1x Recognition Lights Switch Box
    1x Toggle Switch Blunt tipped (should light up under UV light)
    1x Toggle Switch Round tipped
    1x Instrument Panel Indicator Light
    1x Switch Guard
    1x Fuel Cock

These parts are modelled after either dimensions found in original manuals or reasonably accurate estimations based on photos etc. They are generic in that they were used in various A/C, not just Thunderbolts. You can have those as soon as they are ready.

If you need any, I have access to original Republic P-47 blueprints. I collected mostly those on the D-30 and D-40 but I can always do a search for -N related sheets. I also have some original manuals. Just let me know.
    Additionally, if you are in no particular rush, I am willing to share other cockpit parts with you, as I have no plans to do the -N type. The D-30 and D-40 had of course much more in common with the -N than just the above parts. But I'd prefer to finish the complete cockpit first before sharing it over to you.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon26 parts

no rush, I have N manuals no blueprints. If you send me the pit once done that will be great. I will add the pieces I need.

TSK

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    no rush, I have N manuals no blueprints. If you send me the pit once done that will be great. I will add the pieces I need.

TSK
    Will do!

(and it may take some time - I only have a few hours a week to work on the thing)

Here's the Recognition Lights Control Box:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser5.jpg  

Looking good!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Blog Entries
    Love the P-47. Especially the D and N series. Keep up the good work and thanks. Regards,Scott

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    A jug with a new pit (?) Be still my heart

Unfortunately, I have not much new to offer since the last screenies due to a course/recertification I had to take. But I passed and now I can devote some more time to this project. I am continuing with the generic cockpit instruments and have been experimenting a little with normal maps (.+nm.dds) for use with Ankor's shaders. The results are not bad but I'll come back to that some other time. For now, here's the BC-765 Switch Box used to destroy some radio equipment in case of a landing in enemy territory:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser03.jpg  

Blog Entries
    The Jug is one of my favorite US aircraft of WWII. A beast !

lovely work frosty,looking forward to seeing the finished article..

The days around New Year's (Happy NY BTW ) have been reasonably productive; I finished the BC-602 Radio Control Box and the BC-1206 Detrola. These will make full advantage of a normal map, as they were (partially) covered with some sort of a 'textured paint'. Today I also managed to do something about the windscreen that has been lying around for months. It must be the most complex shape I have encountered in this build so far (not looking forward to texturing this!), but even though the inside is a little more detailed than the outside (because that one goes into the VC), they fit quite well together, so I have must have been doing something right.
    With the windscreen done, I also cut out the basic shape for the cockpit tub in the redone basic fuselage. All basic VC parts seem to fit without intersecting (see 3rd screenie). And with the cut-out ready, I can hopefully resume work on the other parts that have been waiting for the rebuild of the cockpit tub.

To make things clear, I am building this baby to original blueprints and then try to weld the finished parts together. Maybe not the most easy or efficient way to model, but it sure is bound to be the most accurate P-47D for CFS3 when I am done [he said modestly ]. Of course I am limited by the number of polys, so compromises have to be made, but I am content so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser6.jpg   Teaser8.jpg   Teaser9.jpg   Teaser7.jpg  

Good job with that windshield, Joost, that and the bubble canopy (with their framing) are demanding to build.
    Last edited by hairyspin; January 1st, 2019 at 13:39.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks Tom!

Today I welded the tail feathers to the basic fuselage shape - it seems a decent fit. It's the one without the fin fillet (that will come later). I still have to think of what to do with the hole in the tail cone in front of the rudder. On the real thing this is roughly where the cables, bell cranks and other mechanical linkages between the rudder / elevator and the cockpit controls run, but I really don't want to model the interior of the fuselage as well. It 'll probably come to me later.

The light blue canopy still is the old one. You can see that is both too high and too high riding on the model. Still wrestling with it's shape. I am also not happy with the secondary cowling's curvature. Even though I used the original ordinates etc., it leaves a fairly large gap between the fuselage and the primary cowling with cowl flaps in the closed position (not shown in the screenie) - too large IMHO. So I think I will try to model that part again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser10.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 76