P-47 Progress Thread - Page 9
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: P-47 Progress Thread

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Looks fantastic ! Awesome work ! Regards,Scott

Oh my word Joost! Fantastic work. So far from the beach defenses and "hedgehog" days of old.
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

Blog Entries
    Hells bells Joost, what a beautiful piece of work! The old cfs3 pilot doesn't do it justice though.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

I'll take a squadron's worth, please. No, better make it a group.

Blog Entries
    Turning out to be one of the best looking models i can imagine ! Fantastic work ! Regards,Scott

I will definitely want some of those!

Blog Entries
    Hello Frosty ! How are things coming along with the wonderful P-47 ? Excited to see this aircraft get the attention it deserves ! Best news i've heard in years ! Thank you for all the work and effort . Regards

Thanks for asking!

But I am afraid there's nothing much to report: I spent some trying to get the Spit's Real Systems Module work. It refuses to do so to this day but it also involved re-installing ETO and rebuilding some of my personal setup. Then real-life-after-the-summer-holidays started again, which in my case means most evenings spent on sports and/or training. So I have only drawn a few panel lines for the empannage fairings that I found quite difficult to do: not only are they rather curvy, they are also split over three parts on the texture sheet. Not easy to align! But I think I did a decent job.

I'll get back here when I have made some significant progress.

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the update . Have a great one ! Regards,Scott

It's amazing what you can achieve with a little paint and bump-mapping: the little ribs on the roof of the wheelwells are a combination of those two, as I saw no need to 3D model them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teaser37.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	684.3 KB 
ID:	85232

As I was quarantined for the past week, I found some time to work on several things at the same time: I started painting the wheelwells, played with a basic weathering layer and I am still trying to create the ultimate Bare Metal Finish. That last part is not so easy... Maybe I should first decide on what I want to depict: a factory-fresh aircraft, one halfway through its service life or a well-worn model
    (Disregard the mapping and weathering of some parts in the screenie - like I said, I am trying out some things and I didn't always clean up things)

Looks like a worthwhile labour of love there Joost!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Yea Joost, bump mapping is perfect for stuff like that, model is looking very sharp!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Blog Entries
    Amazing !Things are looking up for my favorite WW II fighter. Excellent work ! Regards,Scott

When this is finished I have a feeling it will be difficult to tell the difference from a photo. Incredible work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I am still trying to create the ultimate Bare Metal Finish. That last part is not so easy... Maybe I should first decide on what I want to depict: a factory-fresh aircraft, one halfway through its service life or a well-worn model
    Not being much of a painter, my thoughts are that the aluminium parts look a little noisy, but the steel looks right on.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Not being much of a painter, my thoughts are that the aluminium parts look a little noisy, but the steel looks right on.
    Thanks for the feedback - I'll see what I can do!

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    ... Maybe I should first decide on what I want to depict: a factory-fresh aircraft, one halfway through its service life or a well-worn model
    (Disregard the mapping and weathering of some parts in the screenie - like I said, I am trying out some things and I didn't always clean up things)
    I think at least somewhat weathered is better and more realistic. I imagine wartime use and European weather did a pretty quick job; ground crew had platy to do without 'polishing' aluminum!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Yea Joost I wouldn't go with a high polish. It might look great with all the reflections and what have you, I've done a few polished skins, and I wished I hadn't now, it's a wartime sim, not an air show!
    John

Keep it coming!

I agree with the both of you, but when looking at contemporary colour photo's, I see aircraft in various stages of service life (weathering) etc. So I settled for a 'medium aged' version: I removed the noise from the diffuse texture and used it in the _r/_s texture to get some non-uniformity in the reflection while still retaining some 'metalness'. This seems a reasonable basis for further weathering:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teaser38.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	993.0 KB 
ID:	85253

Joost it's your model, do what you feel right with. Shot looks good to me, you probably picked the hardest texture to get to look right in the sim!
    John

Keep it coming!

That aluminum looks pretty convincing Joost!

One thing worth bearing in mind in general with WWII aircraft, is that these aircraft had a lower life expectancy than the pilots. They often didn’t last long enough to get too beat up. Dirty perhaps, depending on operational conditions, but most of the time, these are not high time aircraft.

Yes Dan totally agree with you on all that, but, speaking as a skinner I think factory schemes just don't look right in the sim, they can look a bit cartoonish, just my opinion, nobody has to agree with it, as I said to Joost, it's his model/skin, he should do what he wants to with it!
    Now if it were possible to start off with a factory scheme, and then gradually dirty it up, that would be something, all the aces would have filthy worn out aircraft!
    John

Keep it coming!

Well, the factory new look probably disappeared quite quickly too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo/4 View Post
    Now if it were possible to start off with a factory scheme, and then gradually dirty it up, that would be something, all the aces would have filthy worn out aircraft!
    Well, I do have thoughts on this, but they are a long way from being realized yet.

lol I might have known, interesting Dan
    John

Keep it coming!

So, I've been playing a bit with textures and deciding on what skin(s) I would like to equip the P-47 with. As an exercise and learning experience I decided to create a .mos file with one selectable ID letter, one selectable digit in the BuNo number and selectable nose art. This raised a few questions that someone hopefully will be able to help me with:

1. Am I correct in thinking that the selectable numbers and digits were omitted/disabled in ETO?
    I found only blacked-out .dds files and therefore copied them from stock CFS3. The stock nose art files seemed to have been omitted completely.

2. After copying the nose art files to ETO, they don't show in the aircraft selection pre-view window (Paint-button). Is this on purpose or have I forgotten something else?
    I still can select the various nose art images and they do show on the aircraft in the UI; they're just not visible in the selection window.

3. I thought that having selectable letters and digits meant that CFS3 would randomize them for the other aircraft in your flight, giving the suggestion of different squadron aircraft.
    However the other aircraft a just copies of the player's ship. This is correct as well?

4. MM already mentioned it earlier in this thread (#131): the .mos file reduces the size of the textures causing loss of resolution. That is a bit of a bummer, as I did my best to cram most of the external model's texture on a single texture sheet. To have good texture detail, it is possible to create a single large-resolution file or spread the main texture over multiple smaller-sized files. But both solutions are seemingly not compatible with a .mos file. Nobody has found a solution for this problem? If this is not the case, I might create a .mos file for those that like to have bullet holes etc. But to enjoy the most detail, you better not install it.

Other than the above, I've also been working on a dorsal fillet-less P-47D-30 3D model and associated texture by grafting the back of a previous incarnation of the model on the current D-40. After adjusting some panel and rivet lines, we will have two decent late P-47 models!

Members who have read this thread: 76