FSX:SE Problem with Win10

Thread: FSX:SE Problem with Win10

SOH-CM-2020

FSX:SE Problem with Win10

I've just reinstalled FSX:SE into my new Win10 computer.

It's been installed into a folder outside of Program Files.

But even with the 'User Account Control' settings turned off (not sure if that's a good idea or not), I still can't edit aircraft cfg files and I can't save a flight as the default flight for start up.

This has got me baffled and I would appreciate any and all help.

Thanks.

Pete.

It might get worse, as the new Feature Update to Windows 10 (Build 1809) is downloading now.

Dave

Hello,
    check and see if you have "controlled folder access" active and if so,
    switch it off.
    Regards,
    Nick

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Hello,
    check and see if you have "controlled folder access" active and if so,
    switch it off.

Where would I look to check this please?

Thanks.

Pete.

I strongly advise against this, as this "annoying" thing is security that is offered by Windows 10. If you have decent security installed, by all means, go ahead (at your own peril) but if you're just using Defender and Windows firewall, do not do this.

Controlled folder access and user account control are there for a reason and that reason is your security.

Just my two cents worth.

Priller

SOH-CM-2020
    I'm slowly making progress.

I can now edit aircraft cfg's. It turns out I had mistakenly used a wrong Notepad program.

So that's one problem solved.

But I still can't figure out why I can't change the 'Saved Flight' for statup.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I strongly advise against this, as this "annoying" thing is security that is offered by Windows 10. If you have decent security installed, by all means, go ahead (at your own peril) but if you're just using Defender and Windows firewall, do not do this.

Controlled folder access and user account control are there for a reason and that reason is your security.

Just my two cents worth.

Priller
    Thanks.
    The suggestion was made in an attempt to help with the posted problem.

If you consider yourself to be a target of a highly sophisticated hacking organisation then perhaps so.
    Otherwise, 99% of viruses, malware and ransomeware are invited on to the PC by its user, usually by
    clicking on links on webpages and in e mails that should not have been opened in the first place.

Both the high user account settings and the controlled folder access are mainly there to protect the user
    from themselves and of course in many cases this is indeed necessary. However, the constant double checking
    of every action taken on the machine can prove very tiresome.

A bit like this forum where everything that is posted is scrutinised and criticised by those who know better.
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    I'm slowly making progress.

I can now edit aircraft cfg's. It turns out I had mistakenly used a wrong Notepad program.

So that's one problem solved.

But I still can't figure out why I can't change the 'Saved Flight' for statup.

Pete.
    When you say "saved flight", do you mean the "default flight" (-"save as default") selection when you name and save a flight set up??

Don't you need fsuipc to save flights?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Thanks.
    The suggestion was made in an attempt to help with the posted problem.

If you consider yourself to be a target of a highly sophisticated hacking organisation then perhaps so.
    Otherwise, 99% of viruses, malware and ransomeware are invited on to the PC by its user, usually by
    clicking on links on webpages and in e mails that should not have been opened in the first place.

Both the high user account settings and the controlled folder access are mainly there to protect the user
    from themselves and of course in many cases this is indeed necessary. However, the constant double checking
    of every action taken on the machine can prove very tiresome.

A bit like this forum where everything that is posted is scrutinised and criticised by those who know better.
    I agree [meanwhile Windoze is telling me that 'scrutinised' and 'criticised' are wrong].
    Now, repeat after me....aluminum...aluminum...aluminum....

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I agree [meanwhile Windoze is telling me that 'scrutinised' and 'criticised' are wrong].
    Now, repeat after me....aluminum...aluminum...aluminum....
    I agree!

Priller

Perhaps you need an English (United Kingdom) language pack.
    Then you will harbour no more misconceptions.
    Regards,
    Nick

SOH-CM-2020
    Finally I have success.

I can now 'save a flight' for default to use on startup.

I think the problem (or part of it) was using the same aircraft for two different flight scenarios (at two different airports) and the sim would only use the original one but couldn't find the aircraft on the second selection.

Changing the aircraft on the second 'saved flight' and all is good.

The joys of computers and remembering we keep on learning.

Thanks to all for your help.

Pete.

Amusing how many Win 10 problems of late had nothing to do with the OS. (you know who you are...).
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Amusing how many Win 10 problems of late had nothing to do with the OS. (you know who you are...).

https://www.petri.com/windows-10-oct...t-users-beware

Actually....at this very moment I would STRONGLY suggest avoiding Win 10 Updates.
    Yes, the OS IS 'a dog'. MS simply won't admit how this forced beta process is failing consumers.
    And I know people who warned them of the current issue...but they released it into the wild anyway.

The same happened with Win 7, Jafo, ordinary mistakes and bleary-eyed fumbling with Photoshop, Gmax, Word etc were laid at the OS’s door but turned out much more mundane and everyday bloopers. Probably the same with XP too, back in the day.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I don't agree.

If you just follow the following simple rule, Windows 10 is a joy: Upgrade for a maximum of two times. After that, you go for the full clean reinstall.

I myself skip every other update and reinstall my machine once a year.

Priller

Blog Entries
    At the moment I'm working on the current Win10 Enterprise build, installed following a DOD level triple scrub of both spinners. First thing I do is remove telemetry and things smooth out tremendously.

Bear in mind that your internet usage will determine how exposed you are to AI. I have undertaken to misdirect the new arrivals by watching cooking and wood turning videos. It works quite nicely.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    https://www.petri.com/windows-10-oct...t-users-beware

Actually....at this very moment I would STRONGLY suggest avoiding Win 10 Updates.
    And I know people who warned them of the current issue...but they released it into the wild anyway.
    Just FYI, the October update you refer to has been pulled.

I have undertaken to misdirect the new arrivals by watching cooking and wood turning videos. It works quite nicely.
    ROFL!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Just FYI, the October update you refer to has been pulled.

ROFL!
    Yes, that'll be because Microsoft's current update and QA methodology is just sooo perfect and utterly beyond reproach....

Win7 Pro 64, no problems.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0